Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is the cost of replacing a cracked touchscreen model 3 (2020)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know how much it would cost to replace a cracked touchscreen for a 2020 Model 3?
tiny chip on the bottom center of screen and hairline crack about 2 inches. Everything operates well, but since it’s a core part of the vehicle I feel like I should get it fixed.
Thanks.

Did you get a response? They quoted me over $1,500 to fix a crack in the screen glass. The display itself, and everything but the glass appears to be fine, but I was told that they don't have replacement glass (like you'd do for something like a cracked cell phone screen), but would have to replace the whole display unit.

I'm curious whether the tech is correct (he admitted to not having dealt much with cracked screens), or if someone has had a different experience?

Sorry to hear about this! It's a little too late to save your screen, but for everyone else's sake.... this is why I think the glass screen protectors are cheap insurance. Not strictly "necessary" but, for $20 or so, it gives me a second chance if something untoward were to happen. Obviously not perfect, but always one of my first responses to the various "I just ordered a Model 3, I'm so super excited, what other stuff should I be buying right now while I wait?!?" posts.

So, $1,506.89 is what it ended up costing me for what is effectively a laptop touchscreen. A whopping $59 of that was labor. Given the cost of a brand new laptop with cheap computing specs but a nice 15" 1080p touchscreen, the cost to Tesla to acquire that display is probably, what, maybe $50~$100? Probably less if they make it themselves? No wonder elon is always bordering on being the richest person in the world:rolleyes:.

In case I haven't given it away, this experience has really soured my view of Tesla.

• Disagree
Reactions: smatthew
So, $1,506.89 is what it ended up costing me for what is effectively a laptop touchscreen. A whopping $59 of that was labor. Given the cost of a brand new laptop with cheap computing specs but a nice 15" 1080p touchscreen, the cost to Tesla to acquire that display is probably, what, maybe $50~$100? Probably less if they make it themselves? No wonder elon is always bordering on being the richest person in the world:rolleyes:.

In case I haven't given it away, this experience has really soured my view of Tesla.

Not sure how you make the equivalent a "laptop touch screen" when its much more responsive than any regular laptop touch screen. Its more like the a 15 inch iPad pro or surface pro tablet. How much is an ipad pro or a surface tablet with close to a screen that size? its not $50 to $100. A 12.9 inch ipad pro "starts at $1099"

Reactions: Jejunjm
Not sure how you make the equivalent a "laptop touch screen" when its much more responsive than any regular laptop touch screen. Its more like the a 15 inch iPad pro or surface pro tablet. How much is an ipad pro or a surface tablet with close to a screen that size? its not $50 to $100. A 12.9 inch ipad pro "starts at $1099"

iPad Pro is a stretch, but he is being whiney about it. I would have bought one from eBay and swapped it myself.

Also bear in mind; the display is automotive-grade. That means it’s got an effective temperature, humidity and shock range far beyond your typical consumer laptop. It’s also much brighter and in a custom package.

Tesla generally doesn’t gouge for parts; if it was almost $1500 for the part, I guarantee you they’re not making oodles of money on it.

I'm curious to know how the screen could possibly get broken? Carpool Caraoke with Justin Bieber?

018-700x700.jpg

Reactions: mmyers300
Hi, I'm a new member here.

Just chipped my 2017 M3 display in lower right corner. Display still works but lost almost all of the touch screen function. It's really easy to remove so I'm going to attempt a swap myself. I have a early 2017 so the part number on my display is a 1089543-00-B. Most of the replacement units I can find are newer revision -G or -H. Does anyone know if these newer displays will work in my older car?