Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is the current lead time for Power Wall installation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How much extra cost (parts/labor) is it to add a powerwall to an existing system?

So, ours was a bit of a special case.

1) it was a referral award, and as such comes with $1000 of installation credit
2) our existing system was designed from the get-go for 4 powerwalls, so things were pre-wired for the 4th powerwall. All Tesla had to do was show up, mount it, connect it, and install the breaker for it.

Tesla WANTED to charge $2500 for installation, as they said that was "standard". I was able to get things escalated and argued that the $1000 installation charge should cover things because:
A) the install was easy because we pre-wired the setup during the initial installation
B) the referral aware was supposed to come with a gateway, but because we have one from the original installation, Tesla would not have to install one, saving them both labor and component costs.

In the end, they agreed with my arguments (after being escalated to a supervisor).

So, ours was a bit of a special case.

1) it was a referral award, and as such comes with $1000 of installation credit
2) our existing system was designed from the get-go for 4 powerwalls, so things were pre-wired for the 4th powerwall. All Tesla had to do was show up, mount it, connect it, and install the breaker for it.

Tesla WANTED to charge $2500 for installation, as they said that was "standard". I was able to get things escalated and argued that the $1000 installation charge should cover things because:
A) the install was easy because we pre-wired the setup during the initial installation
B) the referral aware was supposed to come with a gateway, but because we have one from the original installation, Tesla would not have to install one, saving them both labor and component costs.

In the end, they agreed with my arguments (after being escalated to a supervisor).
Nice... so was there no additional cost in the end then?

Similar to last year’s late-in-year purchasers. One of our neighbors ordered mid-October. Had solar already. No Powerwalls available for new orders until early this year. His install was in February.

We ordered our solar/PWs first week of January. No doubt several months of covid shutdowns delayed our install. Just happened.

i ordered in june, ended up installing the solar yesterday after finding out they are delayed until next year... i ordered 8 powerwalls.

anyone know of a 400 amp distribution panel which can be mounted in wall between 16" studs OC? I need one as my generation panel.

for one 80 solar breaker and eight 30 amp powerwall breakers, total of 320 amps.

i ordered 8 powerwalls.

WTF. Powering a supercomputer at home?

eyebrow.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: pilotSteve
Supply is very tight for all installers. I hear Q4 should be better for supply, but we are receiving some. The company I work for is closing in on our #1000 Powerwall sold!

Still, with the explosion of new orders, we are estimating February 2021 installations if you sign up today. Sounds about the same to many installers.

• Informative
Reactions: SMAlset and KJD
I'll post more later, but paid my $100 on Oct 31st, Permit submitted today, expected to be approved by the Sept 9th. Talked with advisor, they were shooting for the week of Sept 14th but sadly we are unavailable so probably week of the Sept 21st. 4kw + 2 PW system, installed by Tesla not a 3rd party.

My permit applied 8.13 was rejected twice and Tesla said they will fix corrections requested and submit around 9/2... not sure of current status. My order is from 7/28

I think I have seen you post this several times. Did you find out the reason from the City? Tesla doesn’t communicate subsequent permit filing status really with customers. You might see a status indicating it’s in permitting in your account but that’s been it from our experience. If you are curious about reason for rejection by your city or current permit status some cities have online permit searches (of varying details listed) or just call the building permit office. They are usually very helpful to homeowners.

Last edited:
I think I have seen you post this several times. Did you find out the reason from the City? Tesla doesn’t communicate subsequent permit filing status really with customers. You might see a status indicating it’s in permitting in your account but that’s been it from our experience. If you are curious about reason for rejection by your city or current permit status some cities have online permit searches (of varying details listed) or just call the building permit office. They are usually very helpful to homeowners.
local office is closed and on phone they don't give much details. I anyway called and they said Tesla has not provided corrections. I then called Tesla and got details of submission made yesterday 9/3. I have noticed that even if its online system it takes 2 to 3 days for it to show up in LA county online database.. very weird.. now the new ETA is 9/17..Frustrating when folks who ordered after me already have their install date.