Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is the difference between Autopilot & Enhanced Autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there a suite of features that can be ordered/purchased that is greater than "Autopilot", but less than "Full Self-driving" I've seen statistics about an "Enhanced Autopilot", but not sure what all that entails, and how different that is from the regular Autopilot. I've just ordered a Model 3 LR AWD a week ago, and know that it comes with the Autopilot. I'd love to have the Full Self-Driving features, but I can't justify paying the extra $8000 for them. Are there any "Full Self-Driving" side items features that can be purchased a-la-carte, that could be purchased that I'm not aware of?

Is there a suite of features that can be ordered/purchased that is greater than "Autopilot", but less than "Full Self-driving" I've seen statistics about an "Enhanced Autopilot", but not sure what all that entails, and how different that is from the regular Autopilot. I've just ordered a Model 3 LR AWD a week ago, and know that it comes with the Autopilot. I'd love to have the Full Self-Driving features, but I can't justify paying the extra $8000 for them. Are there any "Full Self-Driving" side items features that can be purchased a-la-carte, that could be purchased that I'm not aware of?

tesla does not offer enhanced auto pilot anymore. What EAP is missing from the 8k FSD is traffic light recognition and stopping at them. Eventually autopilot on city streets will be released. There are no a la carte options to purchase.

its a totally fair question, because the feature set changed, so dont feel bad about being confused about it (especially if you are doing your "due diligence" and reading up on the car.

For anyone else who may search TMC with this question..

Enhanced autopilot as a purchasable item went away in April of 2019. If one is ordering a new tesla, they are currently unable to get "enhanced autopilot". "autopilot" comes with the car, and "full self driving" is the purchasable add on.

The current difference between EAP and FSD was covered by @Solidred already. EAP when it was orderable was 5k and FSD was another 3k on top of that.... but back THEN there were no "fsd" features. Tesla re packaged these feature sets in april 2019 and put everything that was in EAP (in april of 2019) into the FSD package, and then priced it to include both EAP and FSD, with a small difference in the price at that time.

So, if someone is looking for a used tesla older than april of 2019 , and it has EAP, getting FSD (the new computer + the stoplight feature) would be 3k. If you are ordering new, its autopilot and FSD.

One more thing, OP. "Full Self Driving" can be added to the car after purchase, unlike most other car companies. Tesla includes the hardware for it in every car (currently) because its more streamlined to make it that way, and they can sell the software to you later as an over the air update.

Tesla has also said that at some point they will likely have some sort of subscription to FSD, but no one knows what the cost of that looks like... other than tesla saying that it would be more expensive to subscribe to it than it would be to buy it. We have no idea what time frame that covers, etc.

Hope that helps fill in a little more info.

• Love
Reactions: Solidred
its a totally fair question, because the feature set changed, so dont feel bad about being confused about it (especially if you are doing your "due diligence" and reading up on the car.

Enhanced autopilot as a purchasable item went away in April of 2019. If one is ordering a new tesla, they are currently unable to get "enhanced autopilot". "autopilot" comes with the car, and "full self driving" is the purchasable add on.

The current difference between EAP and FSD was covered by @Solidred already. EAP when it was orderable was 5k and FSD was another 3k on top of that.... but back THEN there were no "fsd" features. Tesla re packaged these feature sets in april 2019 and put everything that was in EAP (in april of 2019) into the FSD package, and then priced it to include both EAP and FSD, with a small difference in the price at that time.

So, if someone is looking for a used tesla older than april of 2019 , and it has EAP, getting FSD (the new computer + the stoplight feature) would be 3k. If you are ordering new, its autopilot and FSD.

One more thing, OP. "Full Self Driving" can be added to the car after purchase, unlike most other car companies. Tesla includes the hardware for it in every car (currently) because its more streamlined to make it that way, and they can sell the software to you later as an over the air update.

Tesla has also said that at some point they will likely have some sort of subscription to FSD, but no one knows what the cost of that looks like... other than tesla saying that it would be more expensive to subscribe to it than it would be to buy it. We have no idea what time frame that covers, etc.

Thanks so much for your clarity! I work in IT and it's my job to get to the nuts and bolts of everything that I can. Since general customer service (my advisors) are quite "out of pocket" most of the time, these forums definitely help clear up many of our questions that usually come up, adhoc!

Thanks so much for your clarity! I work in IT and it's my job to get to the nuts and bolts of everything that I can. Since general customer service (my advisors) are quite "out of pocket" most of the time, these forums definitely help clear up many of our questions that usually come up, adhoc!

I also work in IT, and have found that, at least from superficial appearances, a disproportionate number of tesla owners work in some field that is attracted to technology (or information) (scientists, IT, Engineers, Lawyers, Pilots, etc).

I also work in IT, and have found that, at least from superficial appearances, a disproportionate number of tesla owners work in some field that is attracted to technology (or information) (scientists, IT, Engineers, Lawyers, Pilots, etc).
*laugh* I used to be an SQA test engineer for Apple. ("engineer" is a poor choice of words because few, if any, of us had engineering degrees, but that's what they called us.)

Reactions: jjrandorin

well said!!!