TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

What is the difference between the signature performance and GP performance?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Adstein, May 30, 2012.

1. Adstein

Adstein Member

When I made my signature reservation I believed that there would be significant differences between the sig and gp cars. It seems as if for the performance version the only difference is the different color choices and delivery time. Is that correct? I am seriously considering dropping to the gp performance as the time factor does not justify the price differential to me. Am I missing something? An added benefit of waiting is the potential for clarity on a center console and possible 19" wheel credit.

Thanks for your help.

2. swegman

swegman Member

Thats pretty much the difference, plus the signature badging.

3. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

There are some interior leather differences as well but basically, you're right about the difference. If you're thinking about getting the 19" wheels anyway and don't mind going back a few thousand spots at this point, that might make sense for you.

4. VolkerP

VolkerP EU Model S P-37

The signature performance is $13k more. This includes metallic/premium paint, tech package, sound system, twin chargers, and the parcel shelf ($6,900 to $7,650). A possible downgrade to 19" wheels is a "no cost option", too.

5. Citizen-T

Citizen-T Active Member

There are a few differences as noted above (signature badging, better leather, unique color option) but nothing earth-shattering. Getting your car early is really what you are paying for. There are plenty of people for which this is well worth it, but it is perfectly reasonable if you aren't one of them.

6. Mycroft

Mycroft Life happens

I asked Tesla directly what the difference was between Sig Perf and GP Perf and I was told that there were only three differences. 1. Sig Red option, 2. Sig badging, and 3. early delivery. For Perf, there are absolutely no other differences.

Since I'm going with Pearl White, I would be paying $5,000+ for badging and early delivery and I'm seriously considering downgrading.

7. Kevin Harney

Kevin Harney Active Member

Is that and old question ? I am sure that info has been updated to reflect the above statements.

8. mlascano

mlascano S Sig #722

I was told the same thing as Mycroft when asking about interior differences between GP Perf and Sig Perf: there are none (except for leather color choices). An excerpt from Tesla's response to my question:

9. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

I can't decide if that's a positive or a negative

10. Zextraterrestrial

Do you spill on your seat often?

Or wet youself:eek:

11. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Positive. Perforated may be a little bit more comfortable, but the holes collect dust and are very hard to clean.

12. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Nope

If the acceleration is as pleasant as I'm expecting, there may be a bit of that.

That makes sense. We have perforated in our A6, but I *think* that's because we have the heated/cooled seats. With cabin preconditioning, it shouldn't be an issue anywho.

At this point, for what I want, sig is sort of a waste, but I couldn't imagine waiting a few more months (or longer since I'm not likely to get my original number back). I'm still hoping there will be a surprise or two for us in store.

13. Jason S

Jason S Model S Sig Perf (P85)

I figure I'm paying roughly $1000/month for this car, when looked at for 10 years. Or $500 per, over 20 years.

So $1000/month for every month I'd get the same car sooner... hmmm, is it worth it?

14. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

I'm really hoping there is some 'surprise' to make the Signature tax a little less. I understand it helps create extra profit for them which is fine but just color difference, slightly more leather and earlier delivery should be less than the $5k or so.

15. Mycroft

Mycroft Life happens

Just received the email (#510), and I downgraded. $5k+ was just too much for badging and early delivery. The said I'd be reset back to approximately my original GP order number in June 2011.

16. smorgasbord

smorgasbord Active Member

I wonder how many people are getting in from the Sig waiting list after all.

17. William13

William13 Member

I wanted the sig red and white interior. I can't wait well either. No other differences for sig or standard performance. Early and costly.

18. strider

strider Active Member

We downgraded - wife wants the Metallic blue and so that made the Sig tax $7,500 (cheaper paint and only need one charger). But instead of our old R199 number they gave us R456 (which I assume is the back of the pack?). I thought about complaining but it's likely only a few weeks difference and in the grand scheme of things really won't matter.

19. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

Metallic Blue is a winner! If you are going with Perf, wonder how CF will look with the Blue?! Should be good!

20. strider

strider Active Member

It looks good on our Roadster! :) Right now she's thinking: Blue Perf, Black w/ CF interior, pano roof, standard 21" wheels (the perf wheels and the blue were fine but the chrome handles and bits really jumped out - blends better w/ the lighter wheels), spoiler.