Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is the difference between Tow Hitch ($1000) and Tow Package ($1300) on Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had mine installed last week. Install was decent but the tech missed a few plastic pins on the black fender trim. Overall it was fast though.

Does anyone know what the plastic bag in the hitch is used for?
Seemed like some nuts and rubber washers.
41F9E826-C1BC-4C37-9A68-8D6F4A649C02.jpeg

I had mine installed last week. Install was decent but the tech missed a few plastic pins on the black fender trim. Overall it was fast though.

Does anyone know what the plastic bag in the hitch is used for?
Seemed like some nuts and rubber washers.
View attachment 853752
Its a bit difficult to tell with the glare on the bags, but the rubber looks like grommets to run wire through, not sure what the washers may be for.

here is what it looks like. for some reason when i was ordering i couldn't find any photos of the factory hitch. so i took a photo of mine. i also bought a tool from amazon to help remove the cover https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B095CFXRY2?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details.

you don't need the tool. you could use a flat head screwdriver or putty knife but it could scratch it up. looks like they cut a section on the bottom right. i started on the top, right hand side and worked my way around from the top to bottom.

View attachment 848225
View attachment 848226
Is this the $1000 oem tow hitch with 7-pin plug? This year for available Y inventories, the $1000 tow hitch is available as option. I'd really want to know if it also comes with installed wiring harness. If so, that's a good price imo.

Is this the $1000 oem tow hitch with 7-pin plug? This year for available Y inventories, the $1000 tow hitch is available as option. I'd really want to know if it also comes with installed wiring harness. If so, that's a good price imo.

Yup, the factory towing package has a 7-pin plug. Cars made after sometime in 2021 have a lithium LV battery, and for some reason they don’t provide power to the +12v pin, though. So if you’re trying to charge a trailer battery or power a tongue-mounted brake controller, you’ll need to splice power in from somewhere else.

Ok. I don’t plan to tow trailer, but I would like to find a lighting kit that would fit the 7 pin plug that I can put on a luggage carrier. Anyone has any recommendations?

I don't have a suggestion, but that missing 12v power line won't be an issue. All of the lighting circuits are there and functional. You probably understood that, but I wanted to be clearer than I was in my previous post.

Yup, the factory towing package has a 7-pin plug. Cars made after sometime in 2021 have a lithium LV battery, and for some reason they don’t provide power to the +12v pin, though. So if you’re trying to charge a trailer battery or power a tongue-mounted brake controller, you’ll need to splice power in from somewhere else.

I like that info, ty. If I could get 7-seater with that option, it would be awesome! I could do the install myself, but I plan to include that expense to my car loan. Just sold our 2019 Acura MDX AWD this morning and we're in the hunt for a Y.:cool:

For those that actually use the tow feature to tow, how do you like it? What kind of range could I expect pulling a 5x8 utility trailer with a zero-turn mower for example? I'd be interested in adding it to MYP depending on what kinda range I'd be looking at when actually towing something on a trailer. Just want to know if it's worth adding.

justlikeyours said:
I like that info, ty. If I could get 7-seater with that option, it would be awesome! I could do the install myself, but I plan to include that expense to my car loan. Just sold our 2019 Acura MDX AWD this morning and we're in the hunt for a Y.:cool:

I was going to do the same. I’ve installed a lot of hitches, but this is the first time I’ve paid to have the work done. I called my service center to order parts, and they were very confused about how to place the order. She then sent me the attached invoice. Over $1,200 for the hitch parts blew my mind. I ended up ordering it installed through the Tesla online store.

Attachments

• Hitch Quote.pdf
    159.5 KB · Views: 85
I was going to do the same. I’ve installed a lot of hitches, but this is the first time I’ve paid to have the work done. I called my service center to order parts, and they were very confused about how to place the order. She then sent me the attached invoice. Over $1,200 for the hitch parts blew my mind. I ended up ordering it installed through the Tesla online store.
Dang! So ordering it during the build is better then- it's only $1000? I am crossing my fingers on this one coz I just placed my custom order this afternoon.

Dang! So ordering it during the build is better then- it's only $1000? I am crossing my fingers on this one coz I just placed my custom order this afternoon.

Yes, but it can be changed after the fact by your sales rep. And even if your Y arrives to the delivery center without the factory hitch, they can add it to the order and have service install it for the same $1,000 price.

You only pay $1,300 if you purchase the hitch after taking delivery of the car.

A white/white Model Y with a tow hitch goes over the tax limit value. Does the hitch count towards the $55K max price for the tax credit? If it does I will probably have it added after delivery. $300 vs. $7500

Reactions: Misterbee
Looks like they’re not available on Amazon at the moment. Is this the same product?

🤷‍♀️ they are not complex products, one is probably as good as another. In today's environment there are many importers from the same Chinese manufacturer. Just make sure the reviews indicate the magnet is strong.

Reactions: Misterbee