Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is the difference between Tow Hitch ($1000) and Tow Package ($1300) on Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the confirmation guys. Glad to know they are the same.

When you order the car and hitch at the same time, it just says $1000 for tow hitch that is high strength, Class II steel tow bar capable of towing up to 3,500 lbs.

On the Tow Package page, it says these are included for $1300.

Includes:
  • 1x high-strength steel tow bar with 2" hitch receiver and North America 7-pin standard connector
  • 1x trailer harness
  • 1x tow mode software package

When you order the car and hitch at the same time, it just says $1000 for tow hitch that is high strength, Class II steel tow bar capable of towing up to 3,500 lbs.

Includes:
  • 1x high-strength steel tow bar with 2" hitch receiver and North America 7-pin standard connector
  • 1x trailer harness
just FYI, i ordered the tow hitch with my MYP. it says the tongue weight is up to 160 lbs. i would like to get a platform bike rack but would like to have it hold up to 4 bikes. can't find a reasonably priced one that will hold 4 bikes, mostly hybrid and mountain bikes unless i go over 160 lbs. i may just get the rack that hangs bikes.

i have heard after market ones can support more weight. i didn't want to mess with removing the bumper after delivery though so i opted to get it during order.

the side benefit of doing it after, is that you get to keep the 'non-hitch' aluminum bumper that gets replaced with the hitch version.
sSo the bumper is different? They change out the entire bumper and give you the old one back? Do you need to ask for that or is it automatic? What would one do with the spare “non-hitch” bumper? What is the “hitch” bumper made of If the “non-hitch” is aluminum?

just FYI, i ordered the tow hitch with my MYP. it says the tongue weight is up to 160 lbs. i would like to get a platform bike rack but would like to have it hold up to 4 bikes. can't find a reasonably priced one that will hold 4 bikes, mostly hybrid and mountain bikes unless i go over 160 lbs. i may just get the rack that hangs bikes.

i have heard after market ones can support more weight. i didn't want to mess with removing the bumper after delivery though so i opted to get it during order.
so we think there is a misprint on tesla and the 160 is actually KG and not pounds which is like 350 pounds which lines up with most class 2 hitches. i have a thule xtr pro 2 and love it, my ebike is 70 pounds and my other bike is only 14 pounds

Includes:
  • 1x trailer harness
You get everything installed up-front, so there is no difference. And not sure about the difference in the bumper @almil18 . I assume that the car with the hitch can meet the same standards as the car without. If you have info to the contrary, would like to see source.

There's a piece of metal that gets removed when you place the hitch. This is the"bumper" that's being referred to. It's just a strip of metal that goes in place when the Model Y is ordered with no hitch.

Not to be confused with the plastic that covers the hole where the hitch is located.

There's a piece of metal that gets removed when you place the hitch. This is the"bumper" that's being referred to. It's just a strip of metal that goes in place when the Model Y is ordered with no hitch.

Not to be confused with the plastic that covers the hole where the hitch is located.
Yes, I understand that. I also understood that the support for the hitch was essentially the same as the aluminum piece that is removed. So, no loss in safety.

so we think there is a misprint on tesla and the 160 is actually KG and not pounds which is like 350 pounds which lines up with most class 2 hitches. i have a thule xtr pro 2 and love it, my ebike is 70 pounds and my other bike is only 14 pounds
where could i get clarification on this? this is my first hitch and not really experienced with having one. i've seen a post on reddit (i think here too) about it. if it is a misprint, then i would rather get a platform rack. it is odd for it to be 160 lbs. it would mean i couldn't stand on any rack attached to the receiver haha.

for those wondering where the information is located, it is on the online Model Y manual Model Y Owner's Manual | Tesla

When using the tow package to carry accessories, the 2" x 2" (5 cm x 5 cm) square hitch receiver is designed to support vertical loads of up to 160 lbs (72 kg). Ball mounts that are compatible with the square receiver must be purchased separately.

i'm just leary about the misprint because it has both lbs and kg.

sSo the bumper is different? They change out the entire bumper and give you the old one back? Do you need to ask for that or is it automatic? What would one do with the spare “non-hitch” bumper? What is the “hitch” bumper made of If the “non-hitch” is aluminum?

here is what it looks like. for some reason when i was ordering i couldn't find any photos of the factory hitch. so i took a photo of mine. i also bought a tool from amazon to help remove the cover https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B095CFXRY2?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details.

you don't need the tool. you could use a flat head screwdriver or putty knife but it could scratch it up. looks like they cut a section on the bottom right. i started on the top, right hand side and worked my way around from the top to bottom.

IMG_1007.JPEG

IMG_1008.JPEG

No, it is not a misprint. Capacity for static loads, i.e. a bike rack, are way less than the allowable tongue weight for a trailer.

1662133293139.png

and then they spell out the details:

1662133331098.png

Last edited:
here is what it looks like. for some reason when i was ordering i couldn't find any photos of the factory hitch. so i took a photo of mine. i also bought a tool from amazon to help remove the cover https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B095CFXRY2?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details.

you don't need the tool. you could use a flat head screwdriver or putty knife but it could scratch it up. looks like they cut a section on the bottom right. i started on the top, right hand side and worked my way around from the top to bottom.

View attachment 848225
View attachment 848226
I've modified mine per this video - easy to remove, stays on just fine.

No, it is not a misprint. Capacity for static loads, i.e. a bike rack, are way less than the allowable tongue weight for a trailer.

View attachment 848238

and then they spell out the details:

View attachment 848239
Correct but if you look at all other model y hitches that are exactly the same as tesla they list it at 350 pounds. Just saying. Not saying it’s right or wrong but something I noticed as well as many others have as well

350 lbs for what? The Model Y does list a 350 lbs tongue weight for trailers, just like all similar hitches. Do you have a link for a vehicle that shows support for 350 lbs of static weight, like a bike rack?
I don’t believe any rack out there even lists static weight as they go by tongue weight for the limit. I had reached out to etrailer last year and they said 350 for the bikes and all on their model y rack. Take it for what it is. I’m not saying one or the other is correct as I don’t know the true answer but static 160 is nothing which makes me think it is the 350. But who knows 🤷‍♂️