Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is the dumbest thing your Tesla does?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1. Wiper timing is terrible. Especially with AP.
2. Close second. Random braking. Not as bad as when I first bought the car. But a year later it still occurs on a weekly basis.
3. More of a wish. I really want to be able to drive on the express with hands of the wheel. Just like my bros in law does with his Cadillac.

But still really love the car. Wish they would improve these two issues. Fingers crossed software update some day will address.

1. Wiper timing is terrible. Especially with AP.
Are you referring to the lack of much variability in speed (basically, two intermittent intervals and two constant speeds)? Or the wipers coming on unnecessarily while on AP? These are two distinctly different issues (but definitely both are problems). I would also throw in the fact that the headlights don't automatically come on when the wipers run.
2. Close second. Random braking. Not as bad as when I first bought the car. But a year later it still occurs on a weekly basis.
Not denying you have it, but for me, this issue is pretty much non-existent these days. I think I've had maybe one or two incidents in the past year (and I drive about 19,000 miles per year and about 90%+ on AP)
3. More of a wish. I really want to be able to drive on the express with hands of the wheel. Just like my bros in law does with his Cadillac.
Not sure what you mean here? Did you mean with your hands NOT on the wheel?
  1. There are ways to satisfy the AP nag besides nudging the steering wheel:
    • Adjust either thumbwheel up or down (or left or right)
    • Turn signal
  2. There are simple hacks to override the need to do anything, but I won't post them here (but I am sure they can be easily found with a simple Google search)

• Disagree
Reactions: rpo
Are you referring to the lack of much variability in speed (basically, two intermittent intervals and two constant speeds)? Or the wipers coming on unnecessarily while on AP? These are two distinctly different issues (but definitely both are problems). I would also throw in the fact that the headlights don't automatically come on when the wipers run.

Not denying you have it, but for me, this issue is pretty much non-existent these days. I think I've had maybe one or two incidents in the past year (and I drive about 19,000 miles per year and about 90%+ on AP)

Not sure what you mean here? Did you mean with your hands NOT on the wheel?
  1. There are ways to satisfy the AP nag besides nudging the steering wheel:
    • Adjust either thumbwheel up or down (or left or right)
    • Turn signal
  2. There are simple hacks to override the need to do anything, but I won't post them here (but I am sure they can be easily found with a simple Google search)
1. Yes. Little variability. And auto wipes way too often.
2. I may have to contact Tesla if I should only have auto braking activated once or twice a year. But I think other experience it more as well (like on hills and curves).
3. I am not upset about the AP. I just wish it was fully hands free like other vehicles. Also, I know you can roll the wheel once every minute to keep it on. Maybe I will just use the turn signal to keep it going.

Google? really? I am just giving feedback. kinda sorry i did.

Reactions: Pkmmte and rpo
Google? really? I am just giving feedback. kinda sorry i did.
Sorry - that may not have been clear. I was referring to practices that people do to over-ride the nag that many deem to be dangerous (they are simple really). I chose not to post that information myself - that's all.

Also, I was just asking questions to see if there was something going on that I didn't understand. I'm glad you brought up your points!

Last edited:
Our primary annoyance is audible warnings that sound from street curbs. It’s regular along one stretch of crappy street that also has a bad case of the “heaves”, which the car translates as loss of control. This is a calibration issue, evidently the car lacks any “learn” capability.

For me, it happens when I finish charging with the J1772 adapter.

I tell it to unlock the charging port so I can remove the whole thing, cable and adapter, and it locks right back. Barely gives me a chance to unplug. It should remain unlocked for more than 1 second.

If I remove the cable first without removing the J1772 adaptor, the charging door tries to close on its own and then won’t let me remove the adapter. So it’s stuck and the door will not return on its own to the open position. The car thinks the door is closed, but the J1772 adapter is still stuck in the charging port. So I have to tell it to open the charging door multiple times. It won’t do it on first try. Once it opens, I have to quickly remove the adapter or else it will try close again.

If it can’t close the door because something is in the way, it should automatically open the door again. I’m afraid the charging door mechanism can get damaged by this. But the car is not smart enough to detect this problem.
This used to happen to me the first time I tried because I was doing it wrong.
Just have your cell phone on you and then push the release button on top of the charger without pulling wait a second or two and you should hear an unlock sound, then with both hands pull out the charger and adapter at once. There is a tesla video about it as well.

This used to happen to me the first time I tried because I was doing it wrong.
Just have your cell phone on you and then push the release button on top of the charger without pulling wait a second or two and you should hear an unlock sound, then with both hands pull out the charger and adapter at once. There is a tesla video about it as well.
Yes that works fine, but there’s an easier method which I learned in this thread: unlock the Tesla first, then press and release the unlock button on the L2 charging cable which will cause the Tesla to automatically unlock the port internally. Once you hear the car has unlocked the port immediately pull the entire thing without pressing the L2 cable lock button. The L2 cable plus Tesla adapter should come out as one piece.

This entire ritual of following steps to the letter can be easily avoided with a Tesla software update so the charging port door does not attempt to close if it senses something is plugged in. Then we wouldn’t be having this conversation.

Reactions: Ital
This entire ritual of following steps to the letter can be easily avoided with a Tesla software update so the charging port door does not attempt to close if it senses something is plugged in. Then we wouldn’t be having this conversation.
How it senses something is plugged in is via an electrical circuit. When the L2 charger is unplugged, there is no circuit registering since the adaptor is a mechanical adaptor and not a smart device. To add the checking for the adaptor's presence would necessitate a hardware change, either in the adaptor itself or on the vehicle.

How it senses something is plugged in is via an electrical circuit. When the L2 charger is unplugged, there is no circuit registering since the adaptor is a mechanical adaptor and not a smart device. To add the checking for the adaptor's presence would necessitate a hardware change, either in the adaptor itself or on the vehicle.
Understood. But just like the door windows sense something is in the way preventing them from closing all the way, the motor actuating the charging port door could do something similar and retract if it can’t close all the way. Will that necessitate additional hardware?

Understood. But just like the door windows sense something is in the way preventing them from closing all the way, the motor actuating the charging port door could do something similar and retract if it can’t close all the way. Will that necessitate additional hardware?
Yes: for the charge port door, additional hardware would be required (and will never happen).

Comparing to the window sensor is a non sequitur: a window closing on a body part (a very plausible scenario) can (and does) cause bodily harm.

Yes: for the charge port door, additional hardware would be required (and will never happen).

Comparing to the window sensor is a non sequitur: a window closing on a body part (a very plausible scenario) can (and does) cause bodily harm.
Windows don’t have sensors to determine if something is preventing the windows from closing. The computer monitors the power draw from the window motor to detect if it’s stuck. No additional hardware required. All software. Now, this is on Teslas. Other manufacturers have actual sensors for that.