Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is the dumbest thing your Tesla does?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Phantom braking is better (fewer incidents) than when I first bought the car, but it's still frequent enough that I want to hover over the accelerator pedal while TACC/Autosteer is active.

This is an unsafe practice, as you should hover over the brake instead while using any sort of cruise control..
Phantom braking can result in you being rear-ended. I’ve had to stomp the accelerator to avoid exactly that with a phantom braking incident on I-5 doing highway-appropriate speeds.

Thankfully not terribly common, but enough where I don’t 100% trust the system ever.

When I charge at work on our paid J1772 station, when I go to remove the charging wand, I pull out my phone, select "stop charging" if its charging, then (while standing next to the wand) select unlock charge port, and pull the entire thing out. Have never had a problem in 4 years of doing this various times at my job.
I have seen the problem when I try to interrupt a scheduled charging session, not everytime but even if I properly stop charging and unlock the port, go to the wand and try to pull it, it locks and start changing again since it has past the schedule time, repeat stop charging and unlock port works the next time, not sure if it is timing or the J1772 latch .

Sometimes when I approach my car, the retractable handle presents but just I try to open it, it retracts and then presents again, not sure if it is timing or force or the handle, but always work the second time after it tricked me.

If you have a M3P, "P" for performance. I'd suggest that you get UHP summer tires and dedicated snow tires like some Hakkapeliitas. Why would you compromise?
UHP summer tires are currently on the car, the OE Pirelli P-Zero 20-inchers.
With the roads here in PA, I don't want to run 20s.
I'd rather run a set of 18-inch tires year-round. I just don't drive enough for two sets. Less than 2500 miles in roughly 14 months owning the car.

Did you ever figure out why the phantom braking happened?
No - my speculation is that it may have had to do with lighting levels and angles since it was late afternoon on a bright sunny day (on that very nice stretch of I-5 by Pendleton looking out at the Pacific Ocean) so the sun was low-ish and shadow lines were very sharp and defined. There was little traffic but perhaps it felt that the shadow cast by a car ahead of me was an object because the shadow spanned across lanes (?) but that’s total speculation. I saw something similar a few months later with an overpass (pretty sure the system interpreted the overpass shadow as an object and nearly put a semi into the back of me - of course then having to deal with the angered driver thinking I’d deliberately brake-checked him).

My point on this and a few other threads is that Tesla (and I do love mine) is not perfect and the idea of relying on TeslaVision solely as the input to autopilot and FSD is colossally stupid and a bad idea. My car is a ‘21 and thankfully has the ultrasonic sensors and radar module - I’m assuming the system in both of these incidents was deliberately ignoring the cross-check information provided by those systems. Sure, you can say “erring on the side of caution” but that’s not necessarily true when you’re creating a situation where another car (or truck) will wind up in your back seat.

Maybe recent software updates have enhanced it. I thankfully have not had any such incidents in a while (these were both last year) but no way to be certain and I still don’t 100% trust the system to not try and kill me at an inopportune time.

Reactions: Mario Veras
No - my speculation is that it may have had to do with lighting levels and angles since it was late afternoon on a bright sunny day (on that very nice stretch of I-5 by Pendleton looking out at the Pacific Ocean) so the sun was low-ish and shadow lines were very sharp and defined. There was little traffic but perhaps it felt that the shadow cast by a car ahead of me was an object because the shadow spanned across lanes (?) but that’s total speculation. I saw something similar a few months later with an overpass (pretty sure the system interpreted the overpass shadow as an object and nearly put a semi into the back of me - of course then having to deal with the angered driver thinking I’d deliberately brake-checked him).

My point on this and a few other threads is that Tesla (and I do love mine) is not perfect and the idea of relying on TeslaVision solely as the input to autopilot and FSD is colossally stupid and a bad idea. My car is a ‘21 and thankfully has the ultrasonic sensors and radar module - I’m assuming the system in both of these incidents was deliberately ignoring the cross-check information provided by those systems. Sure, you can say “erring on the side of caution” but that’s not necessarily true when you’re creating a situation where another car (or truck) will wind up in your back seat.

Maybe recent software updates have enhanced it. I thankfully have not had any such incidents in a while (these were both last year) but no way to be certain and I still don’t 100% trust the system to not try and kill me at an inopportune time.
I guess what I fail to understand is how USS can mistake a shadow for an object. A shadow doesn’t bounce back ultra sonic signals to believe there’s an object in the way.

UHP summer tires are currently on the car, the OE Pirelli P-Zero 20-inchers.
With the roads here in PA, I don't want to run 20s.
I'd rather run a set of 18-inch tires year-round. I just don't drive enough for two sets. Less than 2500 miles in roughly 14 months owning the car.
There are third-party 18-inch wheels that fit the Tesla Model 3 Performance, even with its larger brake calipers. The only reference I happen to have for this is a YouTube video:
(I happen to own a Model 3 LR RWD that came with 18-inch wheels, so a replacement like this isn't necessary for me, and I haven't paid all that much attention to the issue.)

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
I guess what I fail to understand is how USS can mistake a shadow for an object. A shadow doesn’t bounce back ultra sonic signals to believe there’s an object in the way.
It won’t - and that’s the point. The new Teslas don’t even have them and solely rely on the cameras which IMHO is an extremely bad idea - perhaps even rising to the level of being negligent. My ‘21 model has them but I’m speculating the software prioritized the camera input above those, or disregarded the conflicting information entirely.

Cameras are good but not perfect and if FSD is ever going to be better than what a human can do, it’ll need sensory inputs beyond those of humans also. This is why aircraft use barometeric and radar altimetery, radio and GPS navigation, etc. Because your eyes don’t always tell the whole or correct story.

Anyway, the autopilot is 99% good which is quite a feat. Getting from 99% to six sigma 99.999999% is a huge challenge though. Tesla is making it harder on themselves by taking tools they already have off the table.

It won’t - and that’s the point. The new Teslas don’t even have them and solely rely on the cameras which IMHO is an extremely bad idea - perhaps even rising to the level of being negligent. My ‘21 model has them but I’m speculating the software prioritized the camera input above those, or disregarded the conflicting information entirely.

Cameras are good but not perfect and if FSD is ever going to be better than what a human can do, it’ll need sensory inputs beyond those of humans also. This is why aircraft use barometeric and radar altimetery, radio and GPS navigation, etc. Because your eyes don’t always tell the whole or correct story.

Anyway, the autopilot is 99% good which is quite a feat. Getting from 99% to six sigma 99.999999% is a huge challenge though. Tesla is making it harder on themselves by taking tools they already have off the table.
Agreed. On a slightly different note, it was raining here yesterday, and I always have trouble seeing the road lines at night when it’s raining and the road is dark. I decided to see how good Autopilot is at keeping the car in lane under those conditions. Turns out Autopilot is worse than me at finding the road lines. At one point, I was driving with the double yellow line under my car which I wasn’t seeing until seconds later and then I took over and moved the car to the proper position. I was hoping I could rely on Autopilot for that situation but I guess not a good idea. The road I’m talking about has clearly marked lines.

My car has the FSD beta, so it's hard to narrow it down to just one "dumbest" thing. Try to run red lights? Wobble erratically back and forth between lanes? Ignore "no turn on red" signs? There are so many choices!
FSD is an absolute **** show. I can't see it being truly useful for at least another 4-5 years. Wish I could get that money back.

Last edited by a moderator:
FSD is an absolute **** show. I can't see it being truly useful for at least another 4-5 years. Wish I could get that money back.
I’ve heard a lot of this. Seems to me like Elon was using a half-built beta level product to finance his company and make the books look good rather than either selling something worth the money or reporting real profit / loss without gimmicks and borderline chicanery. Just my $0.02 but I don’t have a lot of trust in Elon, particularly after all the Twitter nonsense as of late. Lots of lies and distortions.

Last edited by a moderator:
The dumbest thing? I dunno, it does many. Let’s go with one not typically mentioned… This is supposed to be the technological champion of the automotive world and its speedometer is still “not accurate” most of the time. 2-3 mph. It’s got a advanced GPS that knows exactly how fast you’re going… Why the bleeping heck can’t it put 1+1 together to offer a option to “sync” the error rate out?

The dumbest thing? I dunno, it does many. Let’s go with one not typically mentioned… This is supposed to be the technological champion of the automotive world and its speedometer is still “not accurate” most of the time. 2-3 mph. It’s got a advanced GPS that knows exactly how fast you’re going… Why the bleeping heck can’t it put 1+1 together to offer a option to “sync” the error rate out?
What are you comparing the speedometer to?