Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is the dumbest thing your Tesla does?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not get driven in the winter due to no option for all-season performance tires on the M3P.
I went with a complete winter set up, new rims and rubber for November to April. I dropped a size and went with 19" Conti's extreme contact I think, bought them in '21. I really like the look of the 19" rims I picked and I'll extend the life of both sets of tires.

Attachments

• PXL_20221126_182721466.jpg
    PXL_20221126_182721466.jpg
    451.4 KB · Views: 74
Reactions: DocHolliday
I’ve heard a lot of this. Seems to me like Elon was using a half-built beta level product to finance his company and make the books look good rather than either selling something worth the money or reporting real profit / loss without gimmicks and borderline chicanery. Just my $0.02 but I don’t have a lot of trust in Elon, particularly after all the Twitter nonsense as of late. Lots of lies and distortions.
To me, the terrible performance of FSD isn't necessarily incompetence or a half-baked product so much as it's a HUGELY complex problem that he way, way, WAY overpromised on, especially considering how much he's charging for it now and it's nowhere near useful or even safe. As bad as it is, I highly doubt any other company is as close to the goal as he is. I don't believe any other company has actual customer vehicles that are actually navigating city streets with traffic signals, stop signs, etc.

Reactions: ZuleMYP
Phantom braking can result in you being rear-ended. I’ve had to stomp the accelerator to avoid exactly that with a phantom braking incident on I-5 doing highway-appropriate speeds.

Thankfully not terribly common, but enough where I don’t 100% trust the system ever.
I haven't had many incidents of phantom braking, but on a recent trip, it happened several times on a straight highway going across Nevada, no shadows, no other cars, nothing.

I'd have thought that with logs, the problem would be easy to solve.

I realize this is a 3 forum but can’t believe the door locks on the S/X have a two state locked/unlocked icon when there are three states: locked, retracted unlocked and extended unlocked.

Soooo many times I’ve left people standing outside waiting to get in because I look at the icon and it shows unlocked.

Last edited:
Also, I use the factory included LiveXLive (Slacker) streaming. The car does a pretty good job of predicting what music you like after you’ve chosen a hundred varied songs you like. Unfortunately, if you let your spouse or kids “star” a couple dozen songs, the Tesla will bump your favorites icon off the (recents and favorites) UI. No more favorites. Not even after firmware updates. Nor after my eMMC upgrade, which probably meant an MCU swap and reinstall.

Snow broom! Have you never seen a snow broom?
iu

It used to be only car dealers had snow brooms, then someone got the bright idea to sell them to consumers. And yes, what I wrote was total sarcasm!
Back when I worked at a car dealership they bought these by the crate. Never had a problem. Scratching the paint on brand new cars is a big no no.

I have one in my garage.

Any thread with any title even close to this is always going to pivot to being about FSD / Autopilot here on TMC. I was pretty sure of it when I saw the thread title, and it was all of 4 posts before someone talked about phantom braking (which is AP / FSD).
Autopilot / FSD is a major feature touted by Tesla as a reason to get their vehicle versus someone else’s. Is it really asking so much for it to be reliable and not try to kill you at random times?

Autopilot / FSD is a major feature touted by Tesla as a reason to get their vehicle versus someone else’s. Is it really asking so much for it to be reliable and not try to kill you at random times?

Plenty of people use it happily without issue. Plenty others have issues. The ones that have issues repeat their issues ad nauseum, in every single thread they can find to do so, and create new ones to do so when there are existing ones they could continue to report their findings in.

The law says it must report a speed equal to or above the true speed. Manufacturers play it safe, but our Teslas are quite accurate.

Our Leaf was the worst, off by about 5%.
Yes; but my point is that Tesla bills themselves as the most advanced cars out there and constantly releases updates. They have everything in place to make a self calibrating speedometer that is always 100% accurate but they haven’t. Seems dumb to me. I know, I’m weird. :)