Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is the etiquette: Office building paid parking with charging stations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I drove to downtown Chicago today and parked my car in an all day multi-story paid parking garage run by InterPark. I initially parked in an EV charging spot, but had to move my car to a different spot in the same garage after 2 hours as there was a sign saying 2 hour time limit. It was annoying as my car was still charging and there were still three available spots.

Thus the question: Did I need to move the car? If I had left it for the 4 hours to complete the charging cycle, would the garage have towed my car?

4B5D36F4-E271-4B3D-82F3-A9E7E4566742.jpeg

I think the etiquette is if you go over 2 hrs and get towed, don't get mad. It's clearly stated. If you go over 2 hrs, you should be willing to check every so often to make sure other charging spots are still free so the next EV driver can charge and not get shafted by you.

Reactions: outdoors
It says 2 hours max, so I think you did the right thing. Perhaps talk with whomever is in charge to make sure that was indeed their intention. EVs are new, and you never know how much miscommunication and misunderstand might be behind that sticker. If you do stay longer, for sure put a note somewhere with your phone number so you can be contacted by somebody who might be needing that charger or might be thinking of having you towed/fined (and maybe give you a warning instead).

Consider not only etiquette and parking lot rules but also a potential cost of EV charging if you exceed the 2 hr. limit.

In my garage the EV charger is SemaConnect. Our building has implemented a policy where the first 2 hours of charging are free but anything over that is charged at $20 per hour. No where in the parking lot, or building, or even on the Sema app are these exorbitant rates published - and I had to find out the hard way one day when I went over 2 hours by ONE minute and bam....I was charged $20. An expensive lesson for me, so now I set a timer on my phone to remind me when to move my car.

Consider not only etiquette and parking lot rules but also a potential cost of EV charging if you exceed the 2 hr. limit.

In my garage the EV charger is SemaConnect. Our building has implemented a policy where the first 2 hours of charging are free but anything over that is charged at $20 per hour. No where in the parking lot, or building, or even on the Sema app are these exorbitant rates published - and I had to find out the hard way one day when I went over 2 hours by ONE minute and bam....I was charged $20. An expensive lesson for me, so now I set a timer on my phone to remind me when to move my car.

That's pretty draconian.

Where I am working there are a dozen Chargepoint stations and we get to charge free at 20 amps for four hours, one minute past that and it's $5 and $5 per hour after that.

Expensive but not crazy expensive and probably worth it for those who have no charging at home and need to charge at the office from time to time.

What I haven't figured out on Chargepoint is if they can do idle fees... not that I would be a douche canoe, but it seems that as soon as I stop charging from the app when I'm on my way down to the car the clock is stopped and the Chargepoint doesn't care how long I'm connected.

Reactions: SigNC
We have a similarly labeled charger at my work (except 4 hour limit). I think it's pretty generous given the charging is free. Problem I've been having is a Leaf driver who thinks themselves incredibly clever is parking in a spot adjacent to the charging stalls, dragging the charging cable over, then leaving the car there for 9 hours with the actual charging stall unusable. Still not sure what the proper etiquette is for addressing this behavior.

We have a similarly labeled charger at my work (except 4 hour limit). I think it's pretty generous given the charging is free. Problem I've been having is a Leaf driver who thinks themselves incredibly clever is parking in a spot adjacent to the charging stalls, dragging the charging cable over, then leaving the car there for 9 hours with the actual charging stall unusable. Still not sure what the proper etiquette is for addressing this behavior.

I'm assuming you mean that the leaf is locking the charger port so you can't remove the j1772 and use it? That sucks. Special kind of person to do that.

Old job, we knew most of the ev drivers and would unplug and plug when cars were full. Even kept a shared Google doc spreadsheet for a queuing system.

Reactions: KerryOH

This seems fine to me as long as 1) the charging cable is not locked to the vehicle and 2) it is obvious when the car is fully charged and the plug can be removed (also the charging stations usually indicate when the session is complete). I used to do this at work sometimes when I was first and I didn't want to come down and unplug my vehicle (there is no time limit). Don't do this anymore with the Tesla since I only charge a couple times a week. People figured it out and just swapped over the plug, and I have no reservations about doing the same to someone else. Much more efficient and saving everyone time!

Last edited:
They put the sign up just to make your life hard.

If it says 2 hours, that's what it means. Normally, L2 chargers are move when full, or about 4 hours.

This week was probably still vacation for many and not packed, but you didn't know that until you moved,

My problem at work is there is a Ford Fusion that plugs in for 8 hours and doesn't come out to unplug and move. There is only one charger in the entire garage so no one else can charge.

Report it to building mangement? Might get some satisfaction. People that do this are inconsiderate, but in the near future abusers might be dealt with more harshly.

So I drove to downtown Chicago today and parked my car in an all day multi-story paid parking garage run by InterPark. I initially parked in an EV charging spot, but had to move my car to a different spot in the same garage after 2 hours as there was a sign saying 2 hour time limit. It was annoying as my car was still charging and there were still three available spots.

Thus the question: Did I need to move the car? If I had left it for the 4 hours to complete the charging cycle, would the garage have towed my car?

View attachment 365534

How many spots are there in total? As long as there is capacity (spots) for any newcomer I would not have much of a concern about staying longer if you actually needed the charge. Two hours is quite short btw for signage. Four hours is more common. That lets you park in the AM and then move at lunch, or park at lunch and just drive home at the end of the day.

Those are Clipper Creek chargers and I do not believe they have any facilities for charging so I don't think that would be an issue.

Question: What voltage and amperage are the chargers? (I am trying to figure out how much actual money you cost them to park there) It is highly likely that there is no way you can actually cost them money since you are paying for the parking - I suspect the parking is more $$$ than the power they are providing. To the parking garage, what does it matter if you get two hours of charge and someone else gets two hours, or you get four hours and someone else gets none (I am just saying it is not a financial difference to them so I doubt they will police it).

I also feel it is extremely unlikely that they would tow you (a paying customer) for overstaying by an hour or two. If all spots were full and there was competition for the spaces that is a different story, but if lightly used I doubt anyone cares.

I do agree that having a note in the window with contact info is a nice thing to do. Here is one concept for that:
EV UFO / EVfrisbee - electric car Charging Notice - Frisbee - Electric Vehicle EVcharging EVcharger Tesla Model 3 BoltEV NissanLEAF evufo

I personally want one that says "I am opportunity charging - feel free to disconnect me if you require power or contact me at xxx-xxx-xxxx if you need me to move". I generally never *need* to charge for my around town trips, but I will charge if it is available.

We have four spots at my office parking garage and folks park there a lot without even bothering to plug in (that is a jerk move). The sign says limit 4 hours. After four hours the price on Chargepoint doubles which I think is a very fair way to keep people from parking there all day (but that assumes they actually plug in). The parking company seems like they could care less - often times these are only installed as they are required to in order to meet LEED compliance, etc...

I'm assuming you mean that the leaf is locking the charger port so you can't remove the j1772 and use it? That sucks. Special kind of person to do that.

Old job, we knew most of the ev drivers and would unplug and plug when cars were full. Even kept a shared Google doc spreadsheet for a queuing system.

My personal feeling is that if you are 100% sure someone is done charging and you have a way to move the power cord to another legal parking spot I have zero issues with folks unplugging and taking the charge cable to use. Chargers are a limited resource and once you are done charging I think they are pretty fair game. It is kind of nice that J1772 does not lock into the car by default so this is an option. I think the Tesla's are now unlocking when done charging to avoid freezing weather causing the solenoid to stick (but I have not verified this myself).

I actually don't have a problem with this behavior as long as they left some indicator saying "feel free to unplug me when done charging or after xxx time" and as long as that time listed was not over four hours. I actually think in many ways this is more polite (at least to other EV users) than parking in the EV spot. This way if another EV user shows up and there is no other stall with charge cord empty you can go ahead and park in the EV spot and if the Leaf is done you can plug in right then. If it is not done then you can park in the EV spot to reserve it and then you can come back and move the charge cord later when the Leaf is done (or when their 4 hrs is up). The only downside I see to this is if the parking lot is completely full and by leaving the EV spot open you are blocking a non EV user. One big plus side too is that say the Leaf only takes two hours to charge and you show up after that. You can then pull into the empty EV spot and immediately charge by moving the cable rather than having to wait up to another two hours for the person to move their car (in the 4 hr window).

So beat them there by 10 minutes and do the same thing to them for a week. Light bulb in their head might go on.

I have tried to beat them but they get here so early. I always move within 5-10 minutes of my charge being complete because I do not want to be that guy. There are probably 15 other cars that could use it which is why it is so frustrating when they do not move. Against my better judgement I have left a few nice notes just asking politely as possible for them to consider moving their car when it is done charging and that has not been successful. I needed to charge today so after their vehicle sat there fully charged for over 4 hours I unplugged them. Not something I want to do but I need the charger today.

Reactions: 1375mlm
When you need it, you need it, he/she is a douche. There's always a bad player in any group.

I would again, recommend you contact who ever is in managing the charger to police it.

I have but being in Indiana Electric Vehicles are still an oddity so it is hard to get people to understand. Just today I did ask that they put up a sign to limit charging to 4 hours but I am sure that will go unanswered as well.