Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is the first thing you play on your radio?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Okay, just found this. It's in two parts, perhaps because of YouTube's length limits. Itzhak Perlman playing the Chaconne from Bach's second violin partita:

Perlman - Chaconne - Part 1

Perlman - Chaconne - Part 2

And since the above is just the audio over a still photo, here's a young violinist, Hilary Hahn, playing the Presto from the first Bach violin sonata. She's not as good as Perlman, but she's still amazing, and you get to watch her finger work:

Hahn - Sonata 1, Presto

Some people will think I'm an old fuddy-duddy, but to me nothing compares to this stuff for pure emotion and musical genius.

Hahn is astounding. Fuddy-duddy? I think not. Rather, a person with sophisticated taste, sadly lacking from our lowest-common-demoninator culture today. I was going to suggest Beethoven's String Quartet String Quartet No. 13 in B-Flat Op. 130, in my view one of the most beautiful and moving pieces of music ever composed.

Okay, just found this. It's in two parts, perhaps because of YouTube's length limits. Itzhak Perlman playing the Chaconne from Bach's second violin partita:

Perlman - Chaconne - Part 1

Perlman - Chaconne - Part 2

And since the above is just the audio over a still photo, here's a young violinist, Hilary Hahn, playing the Presto from the first Bach violin sonata. She's not as good as Perlman, but she's still amazing, and you get to watch her finger work:

Hahn - Sonata 1, Presto

Some people will think I'm an old fuddy-duddy, but to me nothing compares to this stuff for pure emotion and musical genius.

Found this with her playing the cadenza in Beethoven's violin concerto. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MW2dD4TTuAk

She was 15 years old at the time. An unbelievable talent!

Here's another. I think she's older in this recording because she seems to have gone from a prodigy in the first one I posted, to a master:

Hilary Hahn - Partita 3 - Prelude.

Okay, she's now my new favorite musician. And to think I just found her searching for Bach solo violin pieces to post here!

Gigue.

Found this with her playing the cadenza in Beethoven's violin concerto. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MW2dD4TTuAk

She was 15 years old at the time. An unbelievable talent!
Listening to that gave me goose bumps! Flawless technique and the emotional depth of the greatest adult performers. She is unsurpassed! I just bought two of her albums from the iTunes store and put them on my iPod. Now I have to fetch the iPod nano from the car and put them on that. I wish she'd record the complete Bach sonatas and partitas for violin. And the complete Paganini while we're at it.

I own a Roadster.

Whatever the first thing that plays is, it always plays at the volume it was at when I turned the car off. And it takes another 5 seconds before the volume controls are activated, which means it's almost always too loud. Yet another great Alpine feature, eh?

^ I do not like the Alpine. I would not have ordered it as an option, but the day I visited the Seattle store to test drive a Roadster (middle June of last year) Roadster # 1117 was the cheapest unit Tesla had in inventory. And they were no longer taking special orders for non-Sport units. So I got stuck with the Alpine, as well as leather seats, neither of which I'd have ordered. But I got lucky on the color. It just happened to be the very best of all the colors: very orange.

A truly great musician does not merely play the notes perfectly. The intonation and the ornamentation and the stark or subtle changes in volume and all the rest of it, none of which is on the printed page, requires a fine sensitivity and maturity. I am totally blown away by Hahn's interpretation and maturity, as well as by the lightning speed of her fingers and perfect accuracy of her play. And these videos are from live performances, not studio productions where multiple takes can be edited together. I believe she's in her early 30's now, but what she was doing at the age of 15 is unbelievable. Apparently she started playing the violin when she was 3 or 4. That certainly helped. When you learn something before the age of 5 or 6, it becomes part of your brain structure in a way that skills learned later in life never do.