Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is the least attractive color for Model 3, from your observations?

What is the least attractive color for Model 3 you've seen in the wild?

• Pearl White Multi-Coat

Votes: 71 9.8%
  • Silver Metallic

Votes: 179 24.8%
  • Solid Black

Votes: 161 22.3%
  • Midnight Silver Metallic

Votes: 86 11.9%
  • Deep Blue Metallic

Votes: 71 9.8%
  • Red Metallic

Votes: 36 5.0%
  • I like them all

Votes: 119 16.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...However, the idea for this post came to me as I was observing a white Model 3 in the rear view mirror. I don't love the 3's face, and the dark colors do a decent job minimizing it. While the white and probably the silver accentuate it.

I had originally picked red. I love the shade Tesla uses, especially with the tinted glass roof, gives it a certain zing IMO. My wife thought it was too racey and would standout too much, so I changed it too silver and happy that I did. I love the lines of the new Tesla lineup, especially the Model 3, and think silver does a superb job of showing it off.

Even though that was not the question in the poll, I’m beginning to think black is hot, and I made a $1000 mistake with MSM.

Pulled up behind a black one today. Took me a moment to realize what I was looking at. It really does look like an S and an X got together and had a cute celebrity baby. Paparazzi should be stalking it.

Also, the owner put black California plates on it, very clever!

Now, if only we could do something about those atrocious carpool stickers.

Last edited:
Reactions: RAVAGESofTIME
Even though that was not the question in the poll, I’m beginning to think black is hot, and I made a $1000 mistake with MSM.

Pulled up behind a black one today. Took me a moment to realize what I was looking at. It really does look like an S and an X got together and had a cute celebrity baby. Paparazzi should be stalking it.

Also, the owner put black California plates on it, very clever!

Now, if only we could do something about those atrocious carpool stickers.

Just landed at LAX and immediately saw two M3. Silver looked ok. Red, I didn’t like the shade. It appeared too dark

It was the best of colors, it was the worst of colors. My company's parking structure.

upload_2018-7-12_15-25-10.png

I think in hindsight I would have gone with red. Not because I dislike MSM, but because everyone else likes it. As it is, I got a violation ticket for overstaying my 4 hour charging limit. And that was because I moved into the spot vacated by another MSM with temp license.

All the cars look fugly with the aero wheels. Absolutely hideous.

That said, blue looks the worst to me. It's such a weird shade. Regular black is probably second since unless it's always clean, it tends to look dirty/old very easily.

After those two, probably white is next. Looks great in photos but my neighbor has one and it just looks murky? I dunno how else to describe it.

Midnight silver is probably my next choice. Have driven one for a day and seen it up close and it just looks "alright." The cars character lines and creases get lost in this color though.

The two best colors in person are red and silver. The red is just stunning. The silver shows all the lines of this car very well and hides the chrome while getting the black to "pop."

PS it's also the least common right now ;)

IMG_2234.jpg

I live in the same city as a service/delivery center. By now, I've seen all the colors a lot. And I have two white pearl cars. I'm pretty attuned to the differences in the various white pearls out there. The Tesla one isn't the best, but it's certainly not the worst.

Let's just say I disagree with you on everything. Even the bit about the aero wheels.
As did Gambit48, I picked pearl white. I like the way it looks. Being and engineer, I selected white because it is cooler in the hot Los Angeles summer sun, it is easy to spot, day or night, and it doesn't show the dirt like a black car does. Black only looks good after it has been washer and waxed--in my humble opinion.

I wanted white with white interior, it would have been amazing, and I know it because that's sort of what I have right now on my gen 1 volt (white accent color).

But I couldn't afford the white interior ($12,500 more or for AWD or $16500 more from RWD) hey it's not THAT NICE! I thought silver would have gone well with black and the sport wheels, and also hides dirt and rock chips and scratches better than other colors.

Wife wanted white still though, so that's what I got. I'd honestly be happy with any color except black. I'm not against white, but silver is a better value than white at $500 less.

Red looks good to me too, and I'm not a red car fan usually but the wife doesn't like red at all.

On the configuration page, all six colors look legit. Possibly because it shows the car from the side. So you dither for a little bit between Surgical White, Base Price Back, Fire Brigade Red, Just Like Your Neighbor's Model S Silver and Smurf Blue, before, hopefully, settling on Space X Gray or whatever it's called.

Then you start noticing Model 3s in the wild pulling up in your read view mirror or backed in at the parking structure of the mall, and you think to yourself: "Boy, is that an ugly color for the good looking car! Am I glad I didn't pick THAT."

What color Model 3 are you most likely looking at?

White has no personality. It's what color-blind people pick, I think. Not "ugly", just "meh".
I have blue. And the one in my rear-view is also blue, as is the one passing across in front of me. Yep. California. I've seen silver, and it looks good on the 3, and the gray is a good tone, too. Not too hot on reds. But some people love white. "It's so clean!", I've heard. Unless you don't wash it. They all look good clean.

I still have not seen a silver in the wild to confirm my suspicion that silver is worst. Therefore, I have not voted on my own poll. Of the ones I have seen so far, white is worst, MSM is best looking, but too common. Red is a close second. Red is also the least hated in the poll.

MSM with aero wheels looks cool. Or aero wheels look cool on MSM. My parking garage neighbor changed his 18" wheel to the non-aero kit and his has nothing on mine, which has the original aeros. The third guy got 19", and meh. People will tells us apart by the wheels, including the 4-hour enforcers, hopefully.

All the cars look fugly with the aero wheels. Absolutely hideous.

I agree that aero wheels look wrong with all other colors.

I live in Southern California. I initially wanted MSM, red was my wife’s favorite and my second....eventually decided on Red. Still waiting for car, but glad I chose red. 90% of model 3s out here are MSM. Turns me off every one I see now, although I like the color, it was my first choice, and my truck is that color. And so will my next truck haha. So glad with red so far (without owning it yet)

Oddly enough it’s 90% MSM I see on the road, and some white. I rarely see any other colors.

I wanted white with white interior, it would have been amazing, and I know it because that's sort of what I have right now on my gen 1 volt (white accent color).

But I couldn't afford the white interior ($12,500 more or for AWD or $16500 more from RWD) hey it's not THAT NICE! I thought silver would have gone well with black and the sport wheels, and also hides dirt and rock chips and scratches better than other colors.

Wife wanted white still though, so that's what I got. I'd honestly be happy with any color except black. I'm not against white, but silver is a better value than white at $500 less.

Red looks good to me too, and I'm not a red car fan usually but the wife doesn't like red at all.

Huh? There is no white interior with AWD o_O, only with Performance.

That, and AWD is an additional $4k over RWD (not $12.5k)

Reactions: Glamisduner
For me and I bet most, picking a color on this car was one of those decisions that was honestly the least fun part of the last 27+ months of waiting. It's almost like picking a tattoo, hence why I have none. I'm gonna hopefully be looking at it for 12+ years as it gets old, and scratched, and yes...dinged. In Utah we don't see all that many Tesla's, I probably still only see 1 per day, maybe 2 and 3 is a huge rarity.

Originally I wanted Blue, because I love a bright blue car and always kicked myself for not getting a rally blue Subaru WRX, but then I saw a model S in blue and realized it is way, way darker than I like unless the sun hits it just right. I really wanted to like it, but every dark blue car I saw had swirl marks showing in the paint and only looked good new and clean. So I turned my attention to Red (I once had a red blazer which I liked and it would definitely grab attention) but then I saw a model 3 in red at the local Tesla customer service shop and it just didn't look good to me at all. Just didn't pop. I decided, it's sunny and hot in Utah, so forget black and the MSM is also way dark. Very Mazda looking to me. What I really wanted was a light gunmetal/Ti color, but Tesla doesn't do that color. So I decide white because it looked bright and "clean" and honestly doesn't show a ton of dirt in Utah and will stay cooler. I saw You You Xue's beautiful car during his U.S road trip and was sold, even though I prefer no chrome ever, especially with all those colors it looks ok because the white is very bright. Obsidian Black Metallic came out right as AWD opened and if I washed my car every day, this would be my color. My wife would definitely pick this color, but I'll never own a black car again. So white is is... then I finally ran across a silver Metallic model 3 and I have to say, it looked incredible. The chrome finally looked right on the car and it just looked like a fine piece of jewelry. Hopefully I don't regret my decision... but I really don't think I will... my AWD beauty will be hear soon according to my ISA and I'm sure not risking a change now. My 30 month test of a BMW I3 goes back in 4 weeks and I'll need a car that is fun, and fast and electric.

I'm surprised this poll has "I like them all" but doesn't have "I don't like any of them".

When I decide what color I like the most or least I generally don't just go off of the way it comes from the factory. I go off the way it looks once I would be done modifying it. And in my case this would be most likely with bronze colored wheels and chrome delete and lowered. Having said that I think silver is the worst. But excluding those modifications it would have to be black.