Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is the live traffic info like on Tesla Model 3

justinhow

Feb 8, 2021
Dumfries, Scotland
So I am used to using Google maps which has excellent traffic information which is very up to date and allows you to easily to re-route to avoid jams etc.
How does the tesla maps compare with this?

VanillaAir_UK

Supporting Member
Jun 17, 2019
Surrey, UK
Tesla use different systems for visualisation of traffic data and navigation routing. Navigation routing is always available and part of package, traffic visualisation is part of premium connectivity package that costs £9.99/month after the trial period, 1 or 12 months depending on the car.

Personal experience is that visualisation often shows traffic where there is none, even late at night. Its routine to come across an empty junction and visualisation showing it as slow traffic.

Navigation seems to do a fair job of taking traffic into account, but as its not linked to visualisation, you often do not know why its taken a preference for a particular route.

Only use for me for visualisation has been when getting stuck in a motorway jam and wanting to get a rough idea of how long it is. When there was a threat of us losing premium connectivity (long story affecting early adopters), I must admit I would have missed the live visualisations even though I don't trust them with any accuracy. But I wouldn't have paid £9.99/month for it.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: justinhow

justinhow

Feb 8, 2021
Dumfries, Scotland
Well I would be buying the M3LR so would get the premium for the 1st years included.
So what are these traffic visualisations like compared to Google maps. How "live", does it offer to re-route etc?

Andy_T_73

Jul 22, 2019
Prestwick
My impression is that Tesla traffic updates are a bit behind what appears on your phone but by single digit minutes rather than anything longer. My previous car had live traffic but that was often out by 30+ mins vs checking Google Maps on your phone.

I believe the traffic data the car gets is via Google but not 100% sure on that.

• Helpful

GRiLLA

Jul 5, 2020
UK
It's always been identical to Google maps that I've seen. Yes it offers to re-route, you can specify the number of minutes saving for it to do it.

In terms of visualization it's pretty much an auto zooming map, you don't get quite as obvious information on which lane to be in, and the directions woman is terrible at counting exits on roundabouts for some reason. No speed camera warnings btw.

You won't bother using Google Maps instead. I know people who love using Waze and driving down residential streets to no perceptible benefit don't like it.

• Helpful

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC