TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

What is the logic of locking down the loaner vehicles?

Discussion in 'Tesla, Inc.' started by Sandollars, May 15, 2018.

1. Sandollars

Sandollars I bleed Cardinal

So I have had the great "joy" in having a MS loaner for the past 2 weeks while my car gets some work done at my local SC.
    The loaner is beautiful and almost new but there are no features enabled on it. It doesn't even have TACC. I took it on 1000 mile trip and I was seriously miserable. A third world problem, I know.....

Regardless

As an Owner, I am intimately familiar with the operation of all the advanced features so I was wondering why you think Tesla disables them on their loaners? I asked the SC and they said it was insurance requirements. IMO, the features make the car SAFER, not a higher risk.

I miss my car......

2. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

Anytime I’m going to have a loaner, I always specify that I need a car with Autopilot. They have never balked at my request.

3. Fellsteruk

Fellsteruk Member

I don’t think they disable it. Isn’t is more than you’ve just been given a stick car with no features? Or should I say none of the extra features?

I doubt every car that Tesla purchase for service will be fully pimped out?

4. Need

Need Active Member

It's not locked down; it just doesn't have AP enabled probably. The one that I got has AP enabled AND it has carpool stickers. I put 1500 miles on it LOL. :D I am pretty sure SC lied to you so they don't have to go enable AP on it. I got my loaner at the Buena Park SC. I know another person who has his M3 in the SC and got a P85D loaner with insane mode and AP enabled at the Costa Mesa SC. Which SC in SoCal did you get the loaner?

5. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight No Roads

I just had a new MS 100D loaner last week with AP2 enabled.

It did have a speed governor at 85 mph :( but otherwise it worked great and all AP features enabled.

I think you just got a bum car.

• Like x 1
  6. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

Yeah, the only limitation on a 100D X I had for a week was that (I assume) it was in the loaner 85 MPH mode. (I didn't test it). It has AP2.5, and all other things worked fine. I couldn't tell the difference between it and my own car except the app and TeslaFi didn't work. :D

7. alexdav

alexdav Supporting Member

You probably got one of the Enterprise rentals that Tesla gives out occasionally. Enterprise doesn't buy the cars with Autopilot. The service centers have quite a few of these available because they run out (or don't have any) of actual loaners.

If it's a real Tesla loaner, it's likely to have it. Unless, of course, it doesn't have the hardware.

You can tell which one you get based on which agreement you sign when it's turned over to you.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
    • Love x 1
  8. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

THIS. The Enterprise Model S's also don't have free supercharging.

• Informative x 1
  9. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

So how does that work? Does Enterprise back-bill you for any Supercharging that you do?

• Like x 1
  10. Need

Need Active Member

You mean if you don't have to sign any agreement, you got a real loaner? :p The girl just gave me the keyfob and pointed to a MS and said "That's yours. Feel free to super charge it any time you want." No signing, no making sure I got insurance, no checking around the car to mark any existing damage.

When I brought it back, I was worry that I found some gum stuck to the carpet at the center yard floor. I thought I would have to explain to them that I don't chew gum and it was always there. But, no.. they didn't even ask for the car back. I just pass the key to someone and said there's your car back. He didn't even go to check it.

11. Olle

Olle Member

I never had any features locked out on Tesla loaners.

12. Az_Rael

Hard to say. I would hope Tesla would cover it, as I assume Enterprise will mark up the supercharging fees to something crazy like they do with tolls and stuff. Luckily I didnt need to supercharge my loaner so I didnt get to find out.

13. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight No Roads

Wait... Enterprise rents Teslas back to Tesla for loaners?

Inconceivable!

(I've heard of Enterprise renting ICEs to Tesla for loaners, but never another Tesla.)

• Informative x 1
  14. Sandollars

Sandollars I bleed Cardinal

Bingo! I do believe this is what happened. Thanks for clarifying this.

15. docherf

docherf Member

Had 2 loaners recently in Cincinnati. First was a S P100D. Had access to AP and Ludicrous. Speed was restricted to 85. Im almost glad it was restricted.that car is nuts. The next was a S100D with only 400 miles -it had AP too.

16. r0xx0r

r0xx0r Member

Yes, they do. I got a loaner yesterday from Enterprise. It is a 2018 Model S 75D - no EAP, no any option. Just a bare Model S.

• Like x 1
  17. P85DSarasotaFL

P85DSarasotaFL New Member

I have p100d loaner and whiles it’s red with big wheels and gorgeous, it is completely locked down. No autopilot or adaptive cruise, the remote doesn’t move the car, No Sport or Ludicrous mode. It makes me miss my car vs want to buy the loaner. I don’t understand why they would give out top of the line loaners that are no fun.

• Like x 2
  18. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight No Roads

So they don't get destroyed and can eventually be sold as Inventory cars?

19. MelaniainLA

MelaniainLA Member

Bingo. But it’s the Enterprise ones that come BARE bones. Cloth seats. Black paint. ZERO options. Driving a zero-option S was just one step above driving a Prius ;) JK but you know what I mean!

• Like x 1
  20. Az_Rael

We jokingly refer to those base Enterprise Model S’s as the “poverty edition” at my house.

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1