Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is the max kW a model 3 Performance can charge on home charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Team - looking at a home charger. Popular brand here in uk is pod point.
They do two chargers. 7kw and 22kw.
Can a 2019 model 3 performance use the 22kw and charge at the suggested 60 mph.

No, it cant.

The fastest a model 3 performance will charge is 48amps. The charger is actually in the car, not the wall connector (or mobile connector). People call the wall connector "wall charger" out of convenience, or habit, but it only announces how much power is available. The car then requests power from the connector.

The most a tesla model 3 performance will take connected to a home level 2 connector is 11.5kW

Is 11kW true for UK cars also? Since they have a CCS Type 2 port, might UK M3s be capable of 22kW? Coincidentally I recently read a Polestar review from Europe that mentioned it charged at 22kW at curbside L2 EVSEs. I believe CCS Type 2 is capable of 3 phase AC charging. OP might want to repost their question in the UK subforum.

Charging Connectors

This link says Tesla's Type 2 cable is limited to 11kW for Model 3 and 16.5 kW for Model S & X. Not sure if that also applies to the connector.

Last edited:
Is 11kW true for UK cars also? Since they have a CCS Type 2 port, might UK M3s be capable of 22kW? Coincidentally I recently read a Polestar review from Europe that mentioned it charged at 22kW at curbside L2 EVSEs. I believe CCS Type 2 is capable of 3 phase AC charging. OP might want to repost their question in the UK subforum.

Charging Connectors

This link says Tesla's Type 2 cable is limited to 11kW for Model 3 and 16.5 kW for Model S & X. Not sure if that also applies to the connector.

Looking at a wall charger for UK tesla website:

You get the following chart, which says the same thing you typed:

Screen Shot 2021-11-14 at 4.42.17 PM.png

Looking at a wall charger for UK tesla website:

You get the following chart, which says the same thing you typed:

View attachment 733077
Thanks for digging up that info. It’s what I suspected, ie that 22kW is possible through 3 phase charging at Euro voltages. Since I have access to 3 phase at work, I’m now officially jealous of 22kW charging!

Thanks for digging up that info. It’s what I suspected, ie that 22kW is possible through 3 phase charging at Euro voltages. Since I have access to 3 phase at work, I’m now officially jealous of 22kW charging!

If you have a model 3, its not though (and this is the model 3 subforum so I am assuming we are talking about model 3s like the OP asked about). It specifically says at the bottom "Model 3 Max charge rate on a 400V Three phase power supply is 16amps 11kW"

Reactions: Gasaraki
If you have a model 3, its not though (and this is the model 3 subforum so I am assuming we are talking about model 3s like the OP asked about). It specifically says at the bottom "Model 3 Max charge rate on a 400V Three phase power supply is 16amps 11kW"
Good point, and even the S & X are limited to 16.6kW, so the Wall Charger is somewhat future proofed at 22kW.

Good point, and even the S & X are limited to 16.6kW, so the Wall Charger is somewhat future proofed at 22kW.
Older S (and X I assume) in the US could be optioned or retrofitted with dual chargers that allowed for 80A charging on a 240V 100A circuit (19.2kW charge rate).

So in addition to future proofing, a 22kW wall connector would allow for full backwards compatibility. :) The current Tesla US wall connector can't supply those older dual charger cars at their max rate though.

Older S (and X I assume) in the US could be optioned or retrofitted with dual chargers that allowed for 80A charging on a 240V 100A circuit (19.2kW charge rate).

So in addition to future proofing, a 22kW wall connector would allow for full backwards compatibility. :) The current Tesla US wall connector can't supply those older dual charger cars at their max rate though.
According to the chart @jjrandorin posted, the UK Wall Charger is only capable of 7.4kW in single phase at a voltage roughly equivalent to US phase to phase voltage. I don’t believe any US spec Teslas can accept 3 phase. The US & UK spec cars & charging equipment are apples & oranges.

UK ‘Type 2’ AC plug is just the top half of the full CCS connector- the bottom half being for DC.

Most people don’t have a TWC in the UK as it isn’t eligible for EVHS/OLEV government grant. Now the TWC3 is out and the grant has reduced to about $500 then more may go down the TWC route. UK TWC still supplies AC to a Type 2 plug the only benefit of the TWC is the little charge port flap opening button.

Model 3 charge rate maximums in the UK:
3-phase: 16Ax3=48A/11.5kW.
Single phase: 32Ax1 = 32A/7kW

The CCS 3rd party chargers (when they work) can technically charge as fast as the Superchargers but Tesla haven’t setup pre-conditioning for them yet (not great). I’ve had 175kW from one.

The declared voltage and tolerance for an electricity supply is 230 volts -6%, +10%. This gives an allowed voltage range of 216.2 volts to 253.0 volt. Many years ago it was 240v but we fudged it when we joined EU for harmonisation.