Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is the maximum AC (not DC Supercharger) charging rate for the internal charger on a Plaid?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To get 80 amp AC charging in the USA, you need a 2012-2016 (pre-refresh) Model S with dual chargers (an option), an old HPWC gen-1 (not made for years now), and a 100 amp 240v circuit and appropriate wiring. So it can be done, just not with anything made by Tesla in the last 7 years or so.
Gen 2 wall connector will happily provide 80 amps too and there are still plenty floating around.

72 amp charging was an option for S/X until early 2019.

But yeah, 48 amp max on anything produced since then.

I found here, that the internal AC charger on the Plaid is rated at 16.5KW. Backing that out to a typical 220V home circuit (like an electric range or dryer), 16,500W / 220V = 75 Amps.

So if I bought the 14-50 adapter for the Mobile Connector, and supply it with a 50A breaker, will I charge at 50A at 220V = 11KW?

I think I read on the Tesla site that the Mobile Connector will not go above 32 Amps, regardless of a 14-50 plug with a 50A supply circuit.

View attachment 780905
Model 3 has onboard charger capable of 11kW, Model X has onboard charger capable of 16.5kW. With NEMA14-50, why does Model X only gain 20mi/hr while Model 3 gain 30mi/hr?? I am baffled.

Model X has onboard charger capable of 16.5kW.
Not correct.

Can we put this to bed and stop spreading wrong information on current cars?
Screenshot_20230104-125840.png

Reactions: cwerdna and ucmndd
Model 3 has onboard charger capable of 11kW, Model X has onboard charger capable of 16.5kW.
Model X USED to have a 16.6kw charger but hasn’t in years.

With NEMA14-50, why does Model X only gain 20mi/hr while Model 3 gain 30mi/hr?? I am baffled.
Because miles per hour is a measure of consumption, not power. Different cars consume energy at different rates.

Can confirm. Tesla (at least in Norway) said our cars would be delivered with 16.5kW chargers. That was wrong. A lot of sites also saying this. All wrong.
Pr 2022 2023. 11kW is max.
The older 22kW options should be standard on a expensive car. (Or a option). Winter in Norway makes the 100kW car act like a Nissan Leaf..
Keeping the windshield and wipers "warm" takes a lot of energy

Winter in Norway makes the 100kW car act like a Nissan Leaf..

The 2023 Nissan Leaf with the 62 kW battery gets a lot less range than any 2023 Tesla (S/X/3/Y). The Leaf is only rated for 215 miles of range. There is no way it has the same range as a 100 kW Model S (405 miles range) today, even in the cold. If so, there is something seriously wrong with your S!
Battery capacity and energy are measured in kWh, not kW.

'23 Leaf Plus has a 60 kWh battery, not 62. (We don't know what's up with Nissan going from 62 to 60.) Search 2023 Nissan LEAF Press Kit for 60. Previous Leaf Pluses had 62 kWh packs (e.g. search 2022 Nissan LEAF Press Kit for 62.)

For the S you're talking about, you mean 100 kWh.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
The 2023 Nissan Leaf with the 62 kW battery gets a lot less range than any 2023 Tesla (S/X/3/Y). The Leaf is only rated for 215 miles of range. There is no way it has the same range as a 100 kW Model S (405 miles range) today, even in the cold. If so, there is something seriously wrong with your S!
Nothing wrong. Lots of small trips combined with battery heating. It's a shitty system, but it probably protect our batteries the best it can.
Range is not a problem on longer trips.
( Not sure how I forgot to mention on several small trips. I was sure I mentioned that :p)

@cwerdna - Thanks for the clarifications. I only did a fast Google search. Should have been on Nissan's site! Odd they dropped the battery rating in 2023.

@Kristoffer Helle - Yep, lots of small trips in the cold will use a lot more energy in any EV as it has to reheat the cabin and battery every time you start the trip. The Nissan Leaf would get a lot less range too in the same conditions.

Reactions: Kristoffer Helle