Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is the maximum width of wheels i can use on my MS 2018 75D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have had my 75D for about a year now and been thinking of changing the wheels to make it look like the new Plaids with the wider wheels and tires. Though it appears that the suspension is different on the new ones A local tire shop told me that anything wider than what the car already has, which is stock 19", will rub against the shocks, front and rear. I feel like its best to go no more than 20" rims but would prefer to stick with 19" to preserve the rid quality and same tire diameter. So basically, same diameter, same offset, no spacers, but wider. Unless you all think that adding a spacer or getting rims with the offset number lower than stock which i think is +35. So maybe an offset of +30 would allow me to put wider tires, not sure. Your expert opinions are much appreciated. Thank you!!

Here is a picture of the car

Attachments

• -342XyHsRhGgtxg6htD7XQ.1440x700.jpg
    -342XyHsRhGgtxg6htD7XQ.1440x700.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 89
You have the slipstream wheels. They're 19x8 +40 offset.

I can tell you that the front is where all the trouble is. The front wheel well is so tight with suspension geometry that there is literally millimeters of clearance. I have the 21x8.5 +40 turbines and the back rim of the wheel is so close to the suspension arm that connects to the upper control arm. If you're gonna go 8.5 wide then +40 would be fine. if you're gonna go 9.5 wide like on the new MS then you're gonna need an aggressive offset like +25 but you will probably rub on full turns. The rears are more forgiving as a staggered turbine setup can go 21x9 +40 in the rears with no issues.

Focus on the fronts to make sure whatever wheel you want will fit the front then just get the accompanying rear since you have more options in the rear.

Use an offset calculator to see how much clearance you will get inner and outer wise: https://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Wheel-Offset-Calculator

Oh yea, tires will matter too since some tires' sidewall stick out more than others which can and will rub suspension components.