Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is the Model 3 SR+ battery size?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How exactly are you using the display to calculate battery capacity?

The BMS is only ever an estimate, and it can become uncalibrated rather quickly. Besides tapping into the canbus, the only surefire way I know to calculate capacity is driving.

Charge to 90%, drive to 70%. Check your trip meter and record miles and Wh/mi. Multiply miles by kWh/mi and divide by 0.2.

For e.g. if you go from 90% to 70% and drove 36 miles with an efficiency of 245 Wh/mi. 36 mi / 0.245 kWh/mi = 8.82 kWh. 8.82 kWh / 0.2 = 44.1 kWh. That would confirm your other observations.

Continue driving, calculating capacity this way at any milestone you like. 90-40% for 50% of the whole battery, 90-10% for 80% of the whole battery. The further you can go, the more accurate your estimate will be. I've never calculated less than 51 kWh as a full pack capacity for my 2019 SR+ using this method.

Yes, that's exactly how I measure it. For example on one journey, I drove 77.5 mi and the display told me I averaged 228 Wh/mi, so using 17.67 Wh. The battery had decreased from 91% to 51%, so 40% capacity. Therefore 100% battery would correspond to 44.2 kWh. I've done this on multiple journeys, of different lengths and different starting battery charge. On every one the 100% battery capacity is coming out as around 44 kWh. I'm pretty sure there's something very wrong with my battery which needs fixing.

Yes, that's exactly how I measure it. For example on one journey, I drove 77.5 mi and the display told me I averaged 228 Wh/mi, so using 17.67 Wh. The battery had decreased from 91% to 51%, so 40% capacity. Therefore 100% battery would correspond to 44.2 kWh. I've done this on multiple journeys, of different lengths and different starting battery charge. On every one the 100% battery capacity is coming out as around 44 kWh. I'm pretty sure there's something very wrong with my battery which needs fixing.

Hmm, yeah. I would try following the instructions in this post if you haven't already: How I Recovered Half of my Battery's Lost Capacity

And failing that, reach out to service and see what they say. Because if you're actually at 44 kWh, that's 2/3 of the way to a 70% degradation warranty claim.

the degradation on my SR+ was brutal. after one year i was down to 45kwh usable as per scan my tesla. i loved the car, but the battery is way too small for places that are cold. plus the smaller battery, the more cycles you put on it faster. im glad i switched to long range.

Reactions: Eagledon
the degradation on my SR+ was brutal. after one year i was down to 45kwh usable as per scan my tesla. i loved the car, but the battery is way too small for places that are cold. plus the smaller battery, the more cycles you put on it faster. im glad i switched to long range.

How many miles did you put on the SR+ to get that kinda degradation? Lots of Supercharging?

For 2021 SR+, in the United States & probably Canada, preliminary reports indicate available energy (when new) exceeds 53kWh, which I believe is about 1kWh more than in prior years (but I'm not sure; we'd need an old SMT readback of an older SR+ when it was brand new). This includes the buffer, of course, so "sanely usable" is closer to 50kWh when new.

The variation could be due to limited data, or it may be a very slight increase in available capacity.

One report, summarized.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: willow_hiller
I have 11 month old SR+ and have driven 13.000 km, mostly charged at home. Just connected the ScanMyTesla app and it shows 48 kwh nominal which was 52,4 originally as per the app. Thus 8,4% degradation in less than one year. A battery health of 91,6% of almost new car is a disappointment. My previous car, Leaf 30 kwh 2016, had 95% battery health after 4 years and 40.000 km as per LeafSpy.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC