TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

What is the Model 3 SR+ battery size?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by sumitkgarg, May 25, 2019.

1. planko13

planko13 New Member

I had to take out my frunk this week and I spotted an interesting label.

According to this the battery on my SR+ is 50kw. This commands a "rated" efficiency of 208 wh/mi to get the 240 mile range.

Side note, my car was built in GA4, aka the tent.

Attached Files:

• Informative x 1
  2. Zoomit

Zoomit Active Member

I wouldn’t put much faith in that number for specific vehicle performance calculations. It’s not precise. We don’t know what discharge rate is used for the rating or if it has been rounded. If it said 50.0 @ 0.2C, I’d pay attention.

A similar example is the Bolt EV. It’s battery pack has a sticker that says 57 kWh. Yet GM markets the car as 60 and people get 60 out of it.

• Informative x 1
  3. kjyam98

kjyam98 Member

The only thing I don't get is at the 10:41 mark in the video he shows that the onboard navigation estimates that 92% of the battery will be used to travel 171 miles...which puts total estimated range at ~186 miles. Agree with his comments that using the heater can significantly impact range...so that may explain why he got < 200mi in his "real world test"...but assuming he tested all the other cars in the same manner it's surprising to see how much the Tesla's range was impacted. The other odd thing is the Monroney sticker showed that it was a Standard Range Plus w/ 240mi range but the total cost was only $35k + $1k paint + $1.2k destination = $37.2k? My SR+ was $35k + $2k SR+ upgrade + $1.2k destination = $38.2k. FWIW my SR+ lifetime average is 213 Wh/mi (3k miles).

4. Attilas

Attilas New Member

Alex said he does't like standard regenerative braking on Tesla and disabled it. He prefer coasting like on a regular ICE car. On a Tesla 3, applying brake will not try to apply stronger regeneration before using physical brake. That mean if you don't set regen option on "Standard" setting, you will end up using physical brake more often and loose potential energy regeneration on the car. I think this is his one of his mistake. I think that was removed when Customer report stated that Tesla M3 was not braking enough in emergency braking. Tesla made an update and simply set brake pedal to activate physical brake galiper right away to shave some precious seconds. I like that idea.

We do have a SR+ and a Volt at home. The Volt will try to regen first when pressing brake pedal before failing back on physical brake. That mean using D (Regular coasting) rather than L (High regen) on the Volt will not have that much impact compared to the Tesla M3.

However, in an emergency stop situation, the Tesla M3 might brake faster since no computer need to balance regen VS physical, it just apply physical brake right away when you press brake. So to improve battery, Tesla owner should stick to the the highest regen option available.

• Like x 3
  5. pdx_m3s

pdx_m3s Member

If you know charging rate (volts times current) and charge duration, you can easily solve for battery pack size. I come up with ~50kWh each time