Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is the most reliable android phone with Tesla Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am having all sorts of issues with my phone lately. I have the Moto G5+. Too many times, I try to open the door and have a 3-5 second delay before it recognizes it. On rare occasions, not at all. And the phone must be within 6 inches of the door, so no back pocket at all.
Worse though is my car will no longer start without using my card on the console. Bluetooth is on, car recognizes the phone, but no luck. If I reboot the phone, it "may" work once or twice.
I also NEVER had the car see my contacts or recent calls list. Calls can only be made manually by typing in the phone number. That part I am blaming Tesla for not having good compatibility with phone as I see many people complain about that one.
Moto G5+ is a little older, so the O/S I think is Android 8.1 Oreo.

Using a Pixel 3A with no difficulties. Previous phone was the G5+ but got tired of late updates. The 3A is more money, of course, $400, but a very nice phone.

But don't change phones yet. Start by removing the Tesla app and completely 'forgetting' all the bluetooth stuff from both sides. Then essentially start over setting up the phone per the manual. Bluetooth is marginal at best and this might help, at least for a while.

If your key card really won't work to start the car, I would try the other key card and then take it to the Service Center. I would never trust just a phone without the backup of the working key card.

Using a Pixel 3A with no difficulties. Previous phone was the G5+ but got tired of late updates. The 3A is more money, of course, $400, but a very nice phone.

But don't change phones yet. Start by removing the Tesla app and completely 'forgetting' all the bluetooth stuff from both sides. Then essentially start over setting up the phone per the manual. Bluetooth is marginal at best and this might help, at least for a while.

If your key card really won't work to start the car, I would try the other key card and then take it to the Service Center. I would never trust just a phone without the backup of the working key card.

You misread. I said my car will not start WITHOUT the key card on the console. I have to whip out my wallet every time I get into the car now. Very inconvenient.
I will probably try your suggestions though. Thanks.

Reactions: FlyErik
My android one Moto X4 has the same issue with contacts or recent calls list. Calls can only be made manually by typing in the phone number.

I will try Vader76's pocket suggestion, but not sure if locking is a factor (required by work)

Keep in mind the Pixel 3 is nearing a year old now (Google Pixel 3: Make every day more extraordinary). Pixel 3a (significantly cheaper and slower but has gotten great reviews): Google Pixel 3A review: a $399 phone with a great camera is newer.

Pixel 4 should be introduced on Oct 15:
Everything we know about the Pixel 4 event so far - 9to5Google
Google announces October 15th hardware event for Pixel 4

If one tends to keep their phones for awhile, given the no guaranteed security updates after dates listed at Learn when you'll get Android updates on Pixel phones & Nexus devices - Pixel Phone Help, I'd hold off on a getting a 3 for now. Either get a 3a or wait until the event to get a 4. Who knows if there will be a 4a and when?

• Informative
Reactions: DopeGhoti
Another Pixel 3. There were a few small issues at first, but suddenly seemed to go away a few months ago.

Now the only time it ever fails to open my car, is because the app is set to my wife's car instead of mine.

Huawai p20 pro. Looses connection frequently. Try to remember to reset it if I haven't gone to the car in a while. The other day I was dropping my daughter off at school, big lineup of cars behind me. Get out, get her out of car seat, walk her 5 feet and turn around to get back in car it's locked. Might have been outside 15 seconds. Luckily I keep my card in my wallet, woulda been pretty embarrassing to stay there holding up a lineup of 50 cars while I reset my phone.

• Informative
Reactions: FlyErik
I've had the Pixel 3 for about a year now and it has been extremely reliable. With Pixel 4 coming soon, the price of it and the 3a will likely drop. Improvements to phones seem so incremental now, that I can't imagine needing to upgrade for at least a few more years.

Keep in mind the Pixel 3 is nearing a year old now [...]
If one tends to keep their phones for awhile, given the no guaranteed security updates after dates listed at Learn when you'll get Android updates on Pixel phones & Nexus devices - Pixel Phone Help, I'd hold off on a getting a 3 for now. Either get a 3a or wait until the event to get a 4. Who knows if there will be a 4a and when?

Keep in mind though that "no guaranteed updates" does not mean "you shall not get updates"- as an example, the old Pixel "1" XL I have as a spare got updates well past its "expiration" date from Google, in addition to having robust more-current-than-official AOSP releases on the x-d forum.