Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is the most reliable android phone with Tesla Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Huawei Mate 10 Pro here and it has a lot of issues. Have had phone since before getting the car, so I've had 17 months of experience with the two.
Set app to stay running, but it doesn't. More than half the time, I'm forced to unlock phone and open Tesla app to get into car. Once in the car, it even occasionally won't start despite the phone and car being connected.
Lots of Bluetooth issues as well. I'll often have to turn phone Bluetooth off and on to get it to connect.
Bottom line: Huawei probably isn't a good choice for any Tesla owner.
Considering getting a Oneplus 7T as it seems everyone with a Oneplus phone who's replied is happy with the connectivity.

just saw this thread pop up and have not read other comments, but im using a note 10+ unlocked with abso-smurfly no issues with the tesla app or whilst in the car.

matter of fact, im using an old motorola nexus 6 as my cars hotspot. it stays on the charging pad and keeps the spot lit. again no issues on that front either.

Huawei Mate 10 Pro here and it has a lot of issues. Have had phone since before getting the car, so I've had 17 months of experience with the two.
Set app to stay running, but it doesn't. More than half the time, I'm forced to unlock phone and open Tesla app to get into car. Once in the car, it even occasionally won't start despite the phone and car being connected.
Lots of Bluetooth issues as well. I'll often have to turn phone Bluetooth off and on to get it to connect.
Bottom line: Huawei probably isn't a good choice for any Tesla owner.
Considering getting a Oneplus 7T as it seems everyone with a Oneplus phone who's replied is happy with the connectivity.

Yup, the mate absolutely sucks. I bought one for my wife the last time we were visiting Beijing so that she could use it for wifi-only chatting with her mom when we were back in the US. It consistently has issues with bluetooth and wifi. On paper, the specs looked fine, but I suspect there are hardware issues with the platform.

For me, I'm using an LG V40 with the Tesla. Just plain works. No drama at all. It's running Android Pie (version 9). I may upgrade it to a V60 this year to get 5G and Wifi6 capabilities. In general, LG "V-series" phones have been reliable for me for about the past 4 years or so with Android Auto in various cars as well. Good luck!

Best,

• Informative
Reactions: FlyErik
Update: Bought the OnePlus 7T (which runs Android 10.0) and haven't had ANY issues in the last week with opening doors, accessing the Tesla app, etc. It even seems to run faster and has better overall connectivity than the Huawei did! Thanks to everyone who has replied and shared info - this can be a helpful string for those who are looking to get a Tesla, or switch devices to the better OS (Android)... ;-)

Last edited:
Reactions: Falkirk
After standing in the rain a couple times I finally fixed the problem forever!! ...... by getting the key for $150. So much cheaper than buying a new phone. I removed the phone as a key so I could leave my phone in the car if I wanted (or forgot it was charging and the car remained unlocked).

It works flawlessly, even in a heavy downpour. Never have to take it out of my pocket. I've never had to pull the key card out of my wallet to open/start the car. I can still open the car via the phone using the app or key card if I pop out to the car and leave my key and wallet in the house.

One thing, they call it a key fob but you can't attach any keys to it. Apparently Tesla can send a capsule into space, capture the rocket/boosters, but they don't know the difference between a key and a key fob. I had to buy a fob to hold the key and house/office key.

Last edited:
After standing in the rain a couple times I finally fixed the problem forever!! ...... by getting the key for $150. So much cheaper than buying a new phone. I removed the phone as a key so I could leave my phone in the car if I wanted (or forgot it was charging and the car remained unlocked).

It works flawlessly, even in a heavy downpour. Never have to take it out of my pocket. I've never had to pull the key card out of my wallet to open/start the car. I can still open the car via the phone using the app or key card if I pop out to the car and leave my key and wallet in the house.

One thing, they call it a key fob but you can't attach any keys to it. Apparently Tesla can send a capsule into space, capture the rocket/boosters, but they don't know the difference between a key and a key fob. I had to buy a fob to hold the key and house/office key.
Wow, I didn't realize Tesla was a space company, too. That's amazing.

• Funny
Reactions: DopeGhoti