Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is the one thing you can change????

What is your biggest gripe?

• Headlights/Lack of Exterior Lighting Visibility while Driving

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Cheaply Made Interior

Votes: 20 17.2%
  • Uncomfortable Seats

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Lack of Vanity Mirror Lighting

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Lack of Clothing Hooks

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Cabin/Wind Noise

Votes: 24 20.7%
  • Lack of 360 Parking Bird's Eye View

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Lack of Rear Seat Pockets

Votes: 6 5.2%
  • Navigation System

Votes: 18 15.5%
  • Lack of Steering Wheel Controls (Audio, etc).

Votes: 2 1.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The navigation system is great on interstates, but it's pretty awful on local roads. It always seems to take the slower more complicated route no matter how your options are set up. One interesting thing I've found is that even though the Tesla navigation has some outdated road names, if it's correct on the 17" (google map) the Tesla navigation will still send you to the correct place. I would also like to save more locations than work and home.

It has Favorites that you an give a name to -- is that not enough?

I would love noise cancellation - they need it with all the wind and tire noise - also need it for all those loud ICE's - that are bouncing their tach on each shift - never mind the latter, they fall back after 2/10 of a second of acceleration and I don't hear them for long...

Reactions: Shock-On-T
I am curious about this comment about the 2008 Yukon Nav being better. I owned a 2013 X5 before I bought the Tesla. I actually think the Tesla Nav is far more superior than the BMW one. For example, to replicate a google type search on the BMW nav, I had to actually search using the BMW app and send the destination to the car. In Tesla, I can start typing a destination (e.g., Jessup Cellars) and it shows up as a suggestion and I can add that as a destination. In addition, the voice command is much more usable. In the X5, I had to specify the entire address with city, state, zipcode before it can recognize it. Even with that, it will not recognize it 90% of the time. Yesterday, I just said "Navigate to Bouchon Yountiville" and it figured out where to go. There are many other improvements in the Tesla nav - e..g, traffic data is accurate and real time, Nav gets updated with latest info (BMW nav was outdated in 6 months) etc. I am curious, did the Yukon nav have Google maps integrated or a stellar voice command ? If so, BMW seems to be way behind competition.
I think establishing the destination with the Tesla NAV is fine - it's once you get started there are issues. The 'long way home' issue is the biggest - I have no idea what the route logic is, but it seems it prefers highways (big time)!

The journey from my SC to my office is about 6 miles - but the S wants to go 11 miles via the highway. I get it's more fun to put your foot down and go - but guess what I25 in the middle of the rush hour is not fast anyway!

It needs much more in the way of route configuration - Fastest / Shortest / Last Used for this route (implies a Learn mode - "I'll teach you how to get there more efficiently"). It needs to be weighted - "Only reroute if it will save X minutes", "Only use Tolls if is saves X minutes".

And it needs to be able to cycle through a range of alternates before you get started.

But destination search beats everything but Google.

Reactions: BerTX
My biggest complaint is not on the list: Adjustable seat belt heights. I am only 5'3" and ended up having to buy one of those seat belt cover things to help protect my neck from chafing. (I did find a nice black pleather one with red stitching instead of those ugly lambswool things though)

I will think about upgrading my S when they add that. (Actually, I saw a picture of a Model 3 interior that had one, so that might work out well)

What's the lack of steering control - do people want more?? Skip, play/pause and volume work just fine for me ...

For me it's media source control. I want to jump from FM to TuneIn to my phone via bluetooth, without glancing away from the road. That used to be possible, in an awkward way, using the right-hand scroll wheel. It was awkward because all too often you'd unfavorite something instead of switching sources. Rather than fix that problem, Tesla disappeared the feature in 8.0.

With 8.0 you can long-press to jump to a different FM or TuneIn station, with results that I find erratic and unpredictable. But there's no way to switch between, say, phone and FM without reaching for the MCU.

Is your wife flipping the visor right the way out? The S is my wife's car, and I thought this was an issue until I realized that with the visor dropped down instead of flipped right forward, it obscures about 25% of the windshield (no I am not tall)!

She has tried all manner, just an issue of being just short enough that combined with the rake of the windscreen and the size/shape of the visor it provides inadequate coverage for her.

Out of the list u mentioned the biggest omission is the seat pockets. After sitting in the car and coming from an S6 I don't think the interior feels cheap or looks cheap (excluding the center console). What I think is missing and not on your list is the HUD and blind spot detection. Mirror lights are for the passenger and I have not one time used them. My wife on the other hand is a big fan :) - 360 Degree parking but I find the self parking works fine and in *most cases I don't need it. It always depends on the presentation. I find Nissan/Infinity birds eye better than Audi or BMW.

My biggest 'gripe' is substandard interior storage. I still can't believe there's no storage in the armrest.

Since that wasn't really an option, I voted for the birds eye view. I drove an M6 that had it, and was quite impressed. That's going to look amazing on the 17"screen once Tesla gets on b board

Biggest gripe for me is not being able to send waze/google maps routes to the in-car nav. In my other BMW you can send google maps from your phone/computer to your in-car nav. I'm not asking for fancy traffic detection or accident/cop reports, I just want good routes because the routes that Tesla gives me are almost always questionable.

I see there have been a couple of people who voted for the Navigation system. I am curious what some of the gripes are? Obviously, Waze integration would be great, but in the few times I've used the Nav, I've liked it, especially with the turn by turn in my dashboard so I can keep my eyes straight ahead.
just one example- recently nav tried to send me on a closed highway (that had been closed for weeks and will be closed for months due to slides) to a SC that I could not make it to even if the highway was open. It also said I'd arrive with -50% or so. The 'real' route I use for this trip is quicker and completely doable and has an SC in the middle. The way NAV wanted me to go is not doable because of the elevation gain and also a longer trip overall. It kind of seems like NAV is trying to use preferential highways such as I-5 if it can?
it is much, much better now than it was 4 years ago but it has a little way to go to be ideal. Based on one of the recent Tesla patents I think it will have some good additions soon - Trip Planning With Energy Constraint