Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is the one thing you can change????

What is your biggest gripe?

• Headlights/Lack of Exterior Lighting Visibility while Driving

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Cheaply Made Interior

Votes: 20 17.2%
  • Uncomfortable Seats

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Lack of Vanity Mirror Lighting

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Lack of Clothing Hooks

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Cabin/Wind Noise

Votes: 24 20.7%
  • Lack of 360 Parking Bird's Eye View

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Lack of Rear Seat Pockets

Votes: 6 5.2%
  • Navigation System

Votes: 18 15.5%
  • Lack of Steering Wheel Controls (Audio, etc).

Votes: 2 1.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've now owned by MS for a month and have some minor gripes just like most of you, but still LOVE the car. I am curious what people think is the most pressing issue/complaint. I am not including lack of center console as a poll option since Tesla has now made this standard (despite the I had to go and spend $600 on a CCI!). This is also not meant to air out dirty laundry with the lack of functionality with AP2. This also isn't meant to select features that can work better such as Summon, Auto-Steer, since technically, it's all still in Beta.

I'm fine with the way the car is, nothing is perfect. With that being said, i'd like 360 view, but it's not a necessity. It's one of those things that would be cool/useful, but I can live without.

What I would REALLY like is for the damn music to adjust with my driving speed, like every other car I've owned. But nope, apparently that's too much to ask.

Reactions: Wshowell and BerTX
I'm fine with the way the car is, nothing is perfect. With that being said, i'd like 360 view, but it's not a necessity. It's one of those things that would be cool/useful, but I can live without.

What I would REALLY like is for the damn music to adjust with my driving speed, like every other car I've owned. But nope, apparently that's too much to ask.

I am with you on this although I voted for Cabin Noise (I don't even have an all glass roof which I heard is even worse).

My BIGGEST issue is with the seats. They just don't seem to work for me, and I get lower back pain almost every single time. I have found a "Reasonably" comfy position now, but I can't imagine a long road trip on it yet. I do wish they were a bit more profiled and softer overall and not so rigid feeling.

I dont really find the interior cheaply made, I quite like the standard material on the dash and doors and the touchscreen quality is better than what I've experienced in other cars. Maybe when you spend 100k plus, the expectation is different comparing it with Panemera, S-class etc, but compared to the 5 series and previous gen A6/Q7 at 60-70k, I think the interior is quite alright and feels nice.

Noise has not been an issue for me on the solid roof with 19 inch wheels, I felt the glass roof on 21s are significantly louder, so I guess its dependent

Vanity light, coat hook, rear storage are all things I can do without. There do seem to be some aftermarket solutions for some of these atleast.

I do wish they will retrofit better headlights as part of an "improvement program" of some sort, would be nice to see them set the bar for something like that since its a major safety concern. But where I drive, there is almost always plenty of ambient light so its not as bothersome for me.

My BIGGEST issue is with the seats. They just don't seem to work for me, and I get lower back pain almost every single time. I have found a "Reasonably" comfy position now, but I can't imagine a long road trip on it yet. I do wish they were a bit more profiled and softer overall and not so rigid feeling.

I dont really find the interior cheaply made, I quite like the standard material on the dash and doors and the touchscreen quality is better than what I've experienced in other cars. Maybe when you spend 100k plus, the expectation is different comparing it with Panemera, S-class etc, but compared to the 5 series and previous gen A6/Q7 at 60-70k, I think the interior is quite alright and feels nice.

Noise has not been an issue for me on the solid roof with 19 inch wheels, I felt the glass roof on 21s are significantly louder, so I guess its dependent

Vanity light, coat hook, rear storage are all things I can do without. There do seem to be some aftermarket solutions for some of these atleast.

I do wish they will retrofit better headlights as part of an "improvement program" of some sort, would be nice to see them set the bar for something like that since its a major safety concern. But where I drive, there is almost always plenty of ambient light so its not as bothersome for me.

I have the original Nappa Leather Seats. Compared to my previous car, BMW 328xi with Sport seats, I am not noticing much of a difference, but I haven't driven in the car longer than 45 minutes so far at a time. It's quite possible after a long road trip, I might feel differently. I also think back problems are one of the most complex kind of medical conditions humans face, so I do think Tesla should give better seat lumbar options and positions to provide options overall.

If you were to ask my wife it is:

Rear AC and VISOR SIZE

For me, I can forgive some of the items that would be gripe worthy when I consider where the real expense of this car comes from. I have owned as I'm sure you all have a number of cars over my lifetime and the virtually maintenance free lifestyle as well as forgetting what it's like to pump gas sort of make up for shortcomings.

Reactions: Btrflyl8e
I see there have been a couple of people who voted for the Navigation system. I am curious what some of the gripes are? Obviously, Waze integration would be great, but in the few times I've used the Nav, I've liked it, especially with the turn by turn in my dashboard so I can keep my eyes straight ahead.

I see there have been a couple of people who voted for the Navigation system. I am curious what some of the gripes are? Obviously, Waze integration would be great, but in the few times I've used the Nav, I've liked it, especially with the turn by turn in my dashboard so I can keep my eyes straight ahead.
I didn't vote for nav, but the nav in the Tesla sucks. Horribly. It takes stupidly long routes, for who know what reason. I have Google maps or waze open anytime I'm going somewhere new and actually care about travel time.

O yeah, and you can't add waypoints.

I picked NAV. My problem is it's just behind the times.My 2008 Yukon NAV was better. It's good but I don't like the way it refuses to let the user change routes (IE...ignore rt.495) I really only uss it for Supercharger locations or to check on battery % upon arrival.
My wife hates the seats! I have back problems and yet the seats are fine for me.

I picked NAV. My problem is it's just behind the times.My 2008 Yukon NAV was better. It's good but I don't like the way it refuses to let the user change routes (IE...ignore rt.495) I really only uss it for Supercharger locations or to check on battery % upon arrival.
My wife hates the seats! I have back problems and yet the seats are fine for me.

I am curious about this comment about the 2008 Yukon Nav being better. I owned a 2013 X5 before I bought the Tesla. I actually think the Tesla Nav is far more superior than the BMW one. For example, to replicate a google type search on the BMW nav, I had to actually search using the BMW app and send the destination to the car. In Tesla, I can start typing a destination (e.g., Jessup Cellars) and it shows up as a suggestion and I can add that as a destination. In addition, the voice command is much more usable. In the X5, I had to specify the entire address with city, state, zipcode before it can recognize it. Even with that, it will not recognize it 90% of the time. Yesterday, I just said "Navigate to Bouchon Yountiville" and it figured out where to go. There are many other improvements in the Tesla nav - e..g, traffic data is accurate and real time, Nav gets updated with latest info (BMW nav was outdated in 6 months) etc. I am curious, did the Yukon nav have Google maps integrated or a stellar voice command ? If so, BMW seems to be way behind competition.

Reactions: Hugh Mannity
This car needs real buttons. It's very difficult to adjust seat heating, temperature, etc. taking your eyes off the road to look at the IC or console. Real cars have real buttons! Either that or an amazing voice control system if you want to save cost. Nothing beats the ergonomics of well-placed buttons for core functionality.

Going down a windy mountain road in pitch black I had to use high-beams often. The LED headlights are too dim. They're not in the same league as other car maker's LED matrix lights.

Wind noise is intense above 80MPH and still quite loud above 70MPH.

Car needs an active suspension to improve quality over horrible CA roads.

Reactions: SDRick and croman
I am curious about this comment about the 2008 Yukon Nav being better. I owned a 2013 X5 before I bought the Tesla. I actually think the Tesla Nav is far more superior than the BMW one. For example, to replicate a google type search on the BMW nav, I had to actually search using the BMW app and send the destination to the car. In Tesla, I can start typing a destination (e.g., Jessup Cellars) and it shows up as a suggestion and I can add that as a destination. In addition, the voice command is much more usable. In the X5, I had to specify the entire address with city, state, zipcode before it can recognize it. Even with that, it will not recognize it 90% of the time. Yesterday, I just said "Navigate to Bouchon Yountiville" and it figured out where to go. There are many other improvements in the Tesla nav - e..g, traffic data is accurate and real time, Nav gets updated with latest info (BMW nav was outdated in 6 months) etc. I am curious, did the Yukon nav have Google maps integrated or a stellar voice command ? If so, BMW seems to be way behind competition.

This was my experience with my 2010 328xi Nav as well. I was paying like $199 a year for the ability to send destinations to the car basically because their iDrive interface was that bad. I am finding Tesla's Nav interface way better including the voice.

My gripe is the real old one of lack of grab handles. For older people, this is a mobility issue. I use them in every other car I get into. I have had to make an adaptation to get into and out of the S.
In that same vane, it would help to have an exit/enter mode for the seat to move back and steering wheel forward. I have an "exit" profile set but it needs to be done manually so I rarely use it. My wife also complains of the lack of "granny handles"

I picked Nav mostly because none of the other items on the list bother me very much. Wind noise bothers me when I sit and listen to it, but otherwise it goes away when my attention is elsewhere. I have no comfort issues with seats and such, materials and interior quality are fine. Do they compare with luxury vehicles? Maybe not, but I don't consider the Tesla a luxury vehicle -- price does not determine if a car is a luxury vehicle or not. To compare it to other cars isn't fair, just like to compare an ICE to the Tesla drivetrain isn't fair.

There are a lot of things about the Nav that I like, many stated by others, but to not have waypoints is just inexcusable. It also does things I don't understand. For instance, today I asked for a route to a destination 300 miles away. It took me on the route I would like to use, so that was great. I decided to ask it to plot a route to one of the towns along the way (that it had plotted itself). It took a different route altogether to get to the destination. If it was the best route to get to the same place the first time, then why was the second route different? Bizarre.

• Love
Reactions: mbhforum

I picked nav because it's the only practical choice of something that can be changed via an ota update and benefit past and future Teslas.

Until then I keep my iPhone on waze all the time and nav maps just for a guesimate on expected SOC at arrival.

The navigation system is great on interstates, but it's pretty awful on local roads. It always seems to take the slower more complicated route no matter how your options are set up. One interesting thing I've found is that even though the Tesla navigation has some outdated road names, if it's correct on the 17" (google map) the Tesla navigation will still send you to the correct place. I would also like to save more locations than work and home.