Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is the proper way to install a Software Update on a Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am wondering what are some helpful tips for a successful Software Update.

--- Unplug the car before starting the update or leave it plugged in?

--- Schedule the update (even for a few mins later) or "Install Now"?

--- Be out of the car and lock the car during installation or it doesn't matter?

--- Without the phone app (Notification), how do you check for the Software Update status (completed? Still going?)

I had my scary moment during Software Update in the past so I am trying to do this right.

Scary moment after software update 2.52.120 on HW2 model. Car would not charge

I am wondering what are some helpful tips for a successful Software Update.

--- Unplug the car before starting the update or leave it plugged in?

--- Schedule the update (even for a few mins later) or "Install Now"?

--- Be out of the car and lock the car during installation or it doesn't matter?

--- Without the phone app (Notification), how do you check for the Software Update status (completed? Still going?)

I had my scary moment during Software Update in the past so I am trying to do this right.

Scary moment after software update 2.52.120 on HW2 model. Car would not charge
Unless you're at a Supercharger it doesn't matter if it's plugged in or not.
I like to "install now" when at home.
I stay out of the car and let it do its thing < important
If you don't have the phone app, wait a couple of hours before opening your door and looking at the 17" screen to see if it's done. Most updates take 25 minutes but some take longer

Plugged in or not is fine either way. Don't go near the car when it's updating. Set it to install overnight, if it doesn't default to that already. When you wake up, it's done. That way you're not tempted to "check on" the car and mess things up.

Getting the update in the first place is the hard part.

Once you get it, the biggest challenge is in not being able to use your car until the update is completed...

And then there's always the excitement of exploring the new features - and the new software bugs - after the update has completed.

Reactions: ig_epower
Does anybody know if the car has to be left completely alone when trying to update via wifi?

Unfortunately I don't have the possibility to have constant wifi since I'm parked in a garage and live in an apartment building. When I get too impatient with getting an update from LTE (the new AP2 release today) I try to park the car next to my building and connect to the wifi, however I can't leave the car unattended since I will get a ticket.

So I just sit in the car for a while with the music playing for company. I have however not been very successful in getting any updates this way. And checking my routers log, it doesn't seem to utilize any significant amount of data.

Anyone have any experience with getting a update on wifi while "using" the car or do you think it should be locked and left alone to download?

(Sorry to xsi123 for hijacking your thread a little bit)

Does anybody know if the car has to be left completely alone when trying to update via wifi?

Unfortunately I don't have the possibility to have constant wifi since I'm parked in a garage and live in an apartment building. When I get too impatient with getting an update from LTE (the new AP2 release today) I try to park the car next to my building and connect to the wifi, however I can't leave the car unattended since I will get a ticket.

So I just sit in the car for a while with the music playing for company. I have however not been very successful in getting any updates this way. And checking my routers log, it doesn't seem to utilize any significant amount of data.

Anyone have any experience with getting a update on wifi while "using" the car or do you think it should be locked and left alone to download?

(Sorry to xsi123 for hijacking your thread a little bit)
Yes, leave it alone. The issue is the installation, not the downloading. When you see the update message, it's already finished downloading. The easiest is to let the update install overnight. You wouldn't try to use your computer while the operating system is updating, would you? It's the same thing.

You can't predict when an update will be downloaded to your car.

There isn't any way to force or request a download or know when your car is scheduled to receive the download.

It used to be that you could force a download by driving within WiFi range of a Service Center, when new updates were available. But that doesn't appear to work any more.

Though Service Centers usually install the latest update whenever cars are in the shop, so you may be able to get an update by visiting a local Service Center.

Because of the process Tesla uses, moving your car to an area with WiFi and then waiting in the hope of something happening is likely to be a giant waste of time.

• Informative
Reactions: Veritas1980
Though Service Centers usually install the latest update whenever cars are in the shop, so you may be able to get an update by visiting a local Service Center.
I think that's really inappropriate. Service centers are overwhelmed because there aren't enough of them right now. If your car doesn't really need service, going there to request an update is just being abusive. You'll get it when you get it.

What is the difference between software version and firmware version. From various posts I see both completely different numbers mentioned. I know how to see the software version (touching the Tesla logo) but I have never seen a firmware version.

Also, what is the current version of each? I just got an update with "bug fixes" but I still don't have the auto features that Elon said were coming out to everyone a couple of days ago.

As far as I can tell, my updates have been coming into the car via LTE (my wifi around my house is doesn't have a strong enough signal to to be able to connect the car to it in the garage). This seems to have been working OK (although anecdotally the updates seem to come into my car quite some time after other people have already been discussing them, so maybe they are taking some days to load). So I don't know that I would jump thru a bunch of hoops just to get a wifi connection solely for the updates...

I think that's really inappropriate. Service centers are overwhelmed because there aren't enough of them right now. If your car doesn't really need service, going there to request an update is just being abusive. You'll get it when you get it.

I'm not recommending this - only that some owners have gone to the service centers only to get the latest software installed.

Schedule the update (even for a few mins later) or "Install Now"?

Because installation interrupts charging, and I have scheduled charging to take advantage of Off Peak rates (and that period is only 7 hours Midnight-7AM) I schedule the install to happen a couple of hours before Off Peak. From memory the very first update offered to schedule during the small hours of the night, after I found that that interrupted charging I changed the next one to 10PM and ever since then they've defaulted to that schedule time.

• Informative
Reactions: idealsol