Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is the proper way to swap the wheels on the X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just did this today, and on my 2017 I pushed jack mode and waited a bit, then got out and jacked it up. I just swapped 20" to 20", so not sure about adjusting down from 22 to 20.

Jack mode was in the service section, and when I when to the suspension section after pushing the jack button, it said I could not adjust anything while in jack mode...so thinking you just hit the button, and go jack it up.

I just changed my wheels over to 20” with winter tires today along with doing the brake maintenance. Only thing I would add is the proper lug nut torque is 129 ft-lb and don’t forget to go in the service screen and have the car recalibrate for the new wheel size.

I just changed my wheels over to 20” with winter tires today along with doing the brake maintenance. Only thing I would add is the proper lug nut torque is 129 ft-lb and don’t forget to go in the service screen and have the car recalibrate for the new wheel size.
As someone who just spent some serious $$ getting the brake pads and rotors changed with only 35k miles on the clock (and someone who never wants to spend another dollar on brakes), what did your “brake maintenance” entail?

As someone who just spent some serious $$ getting the brake pads and rotors changed with only 35k miles on the clock (and someone who never wants to spend another dollar on brakes), what did your “brake maintenance” entail?
If you are comfortable doing a brake job it is very easy to do. The problem with any EV in the colder climates is road salt causing corrosion. In ICE there is no regenerative braking so the actual brakes are used more with that there is greater friction results in higher temperatures. That heat helps keep moisture down and as a result less corrosion. I do the brake maintenance at the same time I switch to my winter wheels. I have a 2019 MX100 and the brakes have a similar setup to a M3. I found a great YouTube video showing how to do this maintenance(included down below). I don’t have a hoist and just jack up one wheel at a time. Remember to use WHEEL CHUCKS and pre loosen the lugs before jacking up the rear wheels and placing car in Tow Mode to release the rear parking Brakes. I also do the brake fluid flush every 2 years at that time. Of course the other option is to take the car to the Stealership or any reputable mechanic or service shop and have them do the maintenance. I do believe Tesla does recommend the brake service be done yearly in colder climate regions.

Reactions: KentuckyX