Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is the random widget in my UMC bag?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

tga

Supporting Member
Apr 8, 2014
New Hampshire
Can anyone identify this piece of plastic? It was packed in the bag with my UMC and adapters in my CPO. I don't know if it is something official, or something the prior owner left behind.

It has the "Pitch in" symbol on it, which makes me think it's trash. Maybe packing material of some kind?

Also, I've heard there's a storage cubby for the J1772 adapter in the glove box - where? (I'm not near the car at the moment to look).

2017-01-14 12.07.04 (Small).jpg

Really? Didn't know that. Perhaps because newer cars have a center console with storage? (I've never seen the new console.)
How to conveniently store the J1772 adapter has been a minor annoying puzzle for me ever since I got my car. And I should emphasize that it is very minor (mainly because I do not use J1772 chargers very often) and I only mention it because of this post's question about it.
My car is a 2015 so I have no special designated spot for it in the glovebox. I tried leaving it loose in the glovebox, but it rolls around and makes noise. Shortly after I got the car, I got a storage bag for the lower compartment in the trunk. I keep my cleaning supplies there and a few other items. The storage container has a couple of outer pockets, so for a long time I placed the adapter in one of those pockets. The only problem was that I'd have to open the trunk, and lift the carpet plus the compartment cover to retrieve the adapter when I needed it. Once I got my Tesla all-weather mats for the trunk, there was another layer to lift. And sometimes there was "stuff" in the trunk that I'd need to move or lift to get at the adapter. And I'd have to reverse the process to return the adapter to its place under the floor. So in the heat of the moment it could be annoying.
Lately I have been keeping it in my center console. I got the Tesla optional center console before they became standard. I sort of wedge the adapter next to a cupholder so that it is secure and won't roll around. That works, but it could get in the way if I need to use the cupholder. (I normally use the armrest cupholder.)
So, the console is workable and avoids noise but it would be nice to think of some other way to store it.
Now if only we had a door pocket....

Reactions: Ollie Jones
Attach that photo to an email and send to your service center. They should be able to provide you with an answer.
Aw, come on, that's too easy... :oops:

Response from ServiceHelpNA:

Thank you for contacting Tesla Customer Support regarding the plastic piece found in your trunk. That is not something from the UMC or adapters nor anything from the vehicle as best we could tell. We believe that it is safe to dispose of.

Maybe i should mail it back to the prior owner with a note that says "I think you forgot this." J/k - that would be creepy.

How to conveniently store the J1772 adapter has been a minor annoying puzzle for me ever since I got my car. And I should emphasize that it is very minor (mainly because I do not use J1772 chargers very often) and I only mention it because of this post's question about it.
My car is a 2015 so I have no special designated spot for it in the glovebox. I tried leaving it loose in the glovebox, but it rolls around and makes noise. Shortly after I got the car, I got a storage bag for the lower compartment in the trunk. I keep my cleaning supplies there and a few other items. The storage container has a couple of outer pockets, so for a long time I placed the adapter in one of those pockets. The only problem was that I'd have to open the trunk, and lift the carpet plus the compartment cover to retrieve the adapter when I needed it. Once I got my Tesla all-weather mats for the trunk, there was another layer to lift. And sometimes there was "stuff" in the trunk that I'd need to move or lift to get at the adapter. And I'd have to reverse the process to return the adapter to its place under the floor. So in the heat of the moment it could be annoying.
Lately I have been keeping it in my center console. I got the Tesla optional center console before they became standard. I sort of wedge the adapter next to a cupholder so that it is secure and won't roll around. That works, but it could get in the way if I need to use the cupholder. (I normally use the armrest cupholder.)
So, the console is workable and avoids noise but it would be nice to think of some other way to store it.
Now if only we had a door pocket....
My Feb 2015 S has a pocket on the left side of the back of the glove box which holds the adapter nicely.

Are you talking about the side that's filled in when you have the upgraded sound?

I don't have upgraded sound, so there are storage wells on both sides of the trunk. They are pretty handy. My UMC bag goes in the right hand side (pass side for US-spec car) and my cleaning supplies on the left hand side (driver's side).

GSP

For those that use the adapter a lot, I hear ya. I use mine almost every day and got sick of it rattling around in the yacht floor or cubby. I made this and 3d printed it: Tesla cubby organizer by cryptyk

Works amazing, and also gives me a place for all of my charging cards (blink, chargepoint, and a credit card), as well as my sunglasses. I just put some anti-slip pad in the center slot and my sunglasses stay put.

Enjoy :)

Reactions: dgpcolorado