Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is the range after a full charge supposed to be? (85Kw)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thats interesting. Ive never seen more than 185 on a standard charge with my 60. I wonder if the difference is the vampire load. I havent been motivated to check the car at 2 am for the charge level when it finishes charging thus far.

Possibly. Mine definitely drops a few miles from when it finishes charging to when I get in the car in the morning to drive to work. It sits for probably 10 hours or so after it finishes charging.

When we first got our S, I was disappointed that the reported charging speed was significantly lower than the "advertised" rates on the website. (I expected 5 mi/hour on 120V; we were actually getting 2mi/hour - thankfully we now have our 240V outlet in the garage!). Part of this was that the website uses the "ideal" miles, when I had it set to rated miles.

I emailed the ownership team about this, and part of their response included this:

In conjunction with the EPA 5-cycle test algorithm, Model S is using your past energy consumption to predict the recovered mileage given the current energy input.

Although this was specifically addressing the rate of recharge, I would think that the total "rated miles" shown would also include a similar algorithm. So that would explain why there's some variance in what a "full" standard charge shows for each of us...

predicted range? depends on two things:
1. how you drove the car recently
2. how you will drive the car in the future

the rated/ideal range are guesstimates, the actual range can not be predicted without driving the car in lab like conditions, ie on a track with controlled variables, same ambient temp, wind etc.

Mine is in for its 12.5k-mile service today and one of the questions I requested from the Tesla Techs was if my range loss was anything to worry about. Like most of you, my S began with a 242/240 range after a full charge, it is now 233/232 miles of range after the same full charge. A decrease of 10 miles in range over a period of 4 months and 12.5k-miles. Will get confirmation if this is normal or not.

Mine is in for its 12.5k-mile service today and one of the questions I requested from the Tesla Techs was if my range loss was anything to worry about. Like most of you, my S began with a 242/240 range after a full charge, it is now 233/232 miles of range after the same full charge. A decrease of 10 miles in range over a period of 4 months and 12.5k-miles. Will get confirmation if this is normal or not.

Tommy, what's your average Wh/mile? As I posted a little earlier in this thread, I believe the "Rated" range takes previous driving into consideration (in conjunction with the EPA estimates). Perhaps the car is just giving you a somewhat more accurate prediction, and the batteries haven't actually lost much capacity?

Tommy, what's your average Wh/mile? As I posted a little earlier in this thread, I believe the "Rated" range takes previous driving into consideration (in conjunction with the EPA estimates). Perhaps the car is just giving you a somewhat more accurate prediction, and the batteries haven't actually lost much capacity?
Ideal Range vs. Rated Range vs. Predicted Range.

You are talking about predicted range which is visible via the "energy" app. Rated range is independent of prior driving habits (as is ideal range)

Rated range is independent of prior driving habits (as is ideal range)

That's what I thought, too - but that's not what Tesla told me. They specifically said that rated range takes prior driving habits into account, along with the EPA estimate. (Go back a few posts in this thread and you'll see my quote from the ownership team).

However, that was in a conversation regarding reported rate of charge (when I was only getting 2mi/hour on 120V and emailed ownership about it).. So it's possible they were only referring to rate of recharge, when in "Rated" (not "Ideal") mode. ?

My average Wh/mile started at 345Wh/mile when I first got the car and has steadily declined to now average 315Wh/mile. I think my estimated range should be going up if my actual Wh/mile use is going down. It's doing the opposite from what seems intuitive.

This seems like a big change. I still get 241-242 after a standard charge and have 10,100 miles on it. My watt/hr average for all 10k miles is 349.

That's what I thought, too - but that's not what Tesla told me. They specifically said that rated range takes prior driving habits into account, along with the EPA estimate. (Go back a few posts in this thread and you'll see my quote from the ownership team).

Yeah, I've had a Tesla employee tell me that incorrect information as well. (One of the Cali guys who came up to help with deliveries in Toronto). After a few minutes of driving it was obvious that he was wrong.

Ideal is the 300 mile @ 55 mph thing, Rated is the EPA range of 265 miles, and Projected from the Energy App takes your previous driving into account. Rated does NOT look at your previous driving, period.

Yeah, I've had a Tesla employee tell me that incorrect information as well. (One of the Cali guys who came up to help with deliveries in Toronto). After a few minutes of driving it was obvious that he was wrong.

Ideal is the 300 mile @ 55 mph thing, Rated is the EPA range of 265 miles, and Projected from the Energy App takes your previous driving into account. Rated does NOT look at your previous driving, period.

Agreed 100%.