Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is the reason Teslsa replace the steering wheel with a yolk?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got my 2022 MS with a steering yolk. After using it for a bit, it feels awkward with I am making a tight turn or U-turn. I am sure I will get used to it. I don't see this new yolk will improve safety for driving. If not, why have a yolk instead of a flat bottom wheel?

Better view of dash screen + cool looking + removal of stalks. I am not sure it adds much without variable ratio steering being implemented at the same time. Unless you are an F1 driver, it really must take some time to use in normal city driving and parking. Race cars don't need to turn the steering wheel 180 degrees.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
Better view of dash screen + cool looking + removal of stalks. I am not sure it adds much without variable ratio steering being implemented at the same time. Unless you are an F1 driver, it really must take some time to use in normal city driving and parking. Race cars don't need to turn the steering wheel 180 degrees.
Off the subject. Love your Samoyed. Mine had to be put down due to kidney problem before she got to 1 year. So sad.

I've had my S for two months now and I love the Yoke. It took a couple of weeks to get my muscle memory to work well but now it's great. It's true that multi point turns are more of a hassle but the remaining 99.9% of driving is nicer with the yoke in my opinion. Now I get into my wife's car and wonder why the steering + stalks is so complicated.
I am sure I will get used to it. I am getting to like the turning sign buttons only after 2 days. I am still a bit skeptical about the horn button. In a split second, I wonder if I will find the button to blow the horn or just to push the middle of the yolk as a habit.

I don't think anyone can make and argument that it is more functional with the possible exception that it might improve visibility of the instrument cluster screen. What I see from most that say they don't hate it is that they got "used to it" which to me translates to they've learned to tolerate it.

If it had speed sensitive variable ratio steering, it would be a different story.

Just got my 2022 MS with a steering yolk. After using it for a bit, it feels awkward with I am making a tight turn or U-turn. I am sure I will get used to it. I don't see this new yolk will improve safety for driving. If not, why have a yolk instead of a flat bottom wheel?
As far as I know, Tesla is not replacing steering wheels with yolks. I doubt that your 2022 MS has a yolk for steering. That just wouldn't work, at all.

I don't like the Yoke either, but the aftermarket made it so that it's not a deal breaker:

I don't like the Yoke either, but the aftermarket made it so that it's not a deal breaker:

I think Elon has a vision that soon, you don't even need to steer yourself. Use FSD and it takes you wherever you want. It is fun for him to install something that is mean for F-1 racing. Nobody need to make a U-turn or a 90 degree turn with that. Until then, just try not to lose grip or the thing when turning.

I somewhat agree. I had a P90D service loaner today and REALLY liked having a regular steering wheel & gear stalk when making a 3 pt turn into my garage.

That being said, it made me appreciate how comfortable the wide flat bottom of the yolk is to rest my hand on during highway driving vs. a rounded wheel. I was also torn because having all of the stalks felt much less "modern" than the new interior for 90% of the driving.

If they could have made the variable steering work I think this yoke would have been an ideal experience.

I somewhat agree. I had a P90D service loaner today and REALLY liked having a regular steering wheel & gear stalk when making a 3 pt turn into my garage.

That being said, it made me appreciate how comfortable the wide flat bottom of the yolk is to rest my hand on during highway driving vs. a rounded wheel. I was also torn because having all of the stalks felt much less "modern" than the new interior for 90% of the driving.

If they could have made the variable steering work I think this yoke would have been an ideal experience.
After driven the car for 140 miles, the button controlled turn signals and the horn can really be a hazard. When the traffic on my lane slows down and i what to move to the next lane, my old instinct was to check the rear mirror, flip the turn signal and move. Now, I check the mirror and know a car coming on the view but I have enough time. I have to change my eye sight to look for the signal button. I lost a couple seconds. The meant a delayed action. Same as the horn. When I need to alert someone such a person stepping into my path, I have to look for the horn button instead of hitting the middle of the steering wheel.

It eliminates the need for a HUD. Also, for safety reasons, you don't have to take your hand(s) off of the steering component, like when signaling for a turn or to use the horn or turn on the wipers.

I am sure that there are those that disagree (for now) but will probably get used to the yoke in due time.

It eliminates the need for a HUD. Also, for safety reasons, you don't have to take your hand(s) off of the steering component, like when signaling for a turn or to use the horn or turn on the wipers.

I am sure that there are those that disagree (for now) but will probably get used to the yoke in due time.
I read somewhere Tesla is hearing so many complaints about the horn button that they may go back to the airbag hub horn. That is hardware change. We won't get it when it comes. I also think the left and right signal buttons should be located accordingly on left and right. Then that eliminates the change of sending the wrong signal.

Reactions: Vettepartz