Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is the RS-485 port for on a Gen 3 Wall Connector?

Jughead135

Feb 19, 2020
Georgia
Just got my Wall Connector installed (finally!). Reading the manual in detail now that I've got it up & running....

I see on p. 10 of the manual that I've got an RS-485 port inside. I gather from reading here that the Gen 2 connectors used it for load sharing? (Which function is allegedly "coming soon" via firmware update on Gen 3?)

Is the port active on the Gen 3? What does it do?

user212_nr

Aug 26, 2019
US
The "load sharing" software for the Gen 3 has not been released yet, so there is no way to know what if anything it will be used for. The Gen 3 load sharing is intended to be via WIFI, however it is plausible that they will allow a wired option as well.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H

boaterva

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Apr 2, 2016
Northern Virginia, USA
The Gen2 did not. They used a terminal strip for load sharing. Not sure where you saw a 485 port on a Gen2. :D

The port on the Gen3 may be for firmware loading/testing at the factory or some such.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H

user212_nr

Aug 26, 2019
US
Like I said earlier, the Gen 3 software is a work-in-progress and therefore it is available to the software developers if they want to use it.

They can literally do anything with it or nothing.

M_VdM

Mar 31, 2016
Belgium
That little connector serves NO purpose.
For the moment, the components (U12?) for that RS-485 interface are not populated ...
See this THREAD for more info & photos.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC