Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is the size of your Frunk?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can tell you for sure. I owned a 2wd, 2013 Model S. Only the 2wd, earlier Model S's with deep cubby that extended under the dash will fit a spare. And! That is only when the tire is deflated. So you need bring a small compressor.

I can tell you for sure. I owned a 2wd, 2013 Model S. Only the 2wd, earlier Model S's with deep cubby that extended under the dash will fit a spare. And! That is only when the tire is deflated. So you need bring a small compressor.

Agreed. My 2015 rear motor had a huge frunk that was big enough for a spare but Tesla told me to not put it in there because of the possibility of it being pushed into the passenger cabin in case of a crash (so only soft stuff in there :) ). They recommended keeping spares in the trunk which is where I keep it now that I've a 2016 which, despite having just rear wheel drive, has a very small frunk..

I'm actually going on a deal for either a p85 or p85D but I can't decide yet because I'm thinking about the frunk. But since it's not ideal to put it in the frunk I might go with the D version instead. I'm planning to get this spare tire kit as well https://amzn.to/2PXXbim with the carrying case so that I can just toss it in the trunk.

I'm actually going on a deal for either a p85 or p85D but I can't decide yet because I'm thinking about the frunk. But since it's not ideal to put it in the frunk I might go with the D version instead. I'm planning to get this spare tire kit as well https://amzn.to/2PXXbim with the carrying case so that I can just toss it in the trunk.

Thanks Mang.Jose, this is exactly what I am looking for, just need to figure out how to get them to send it to my county.

On the frunk side of things, I would gladly have bought a 2WD car with bigger frunk and saved a few $$$. As it happened a CPO D came along and I fell in love. Kinda glad I have a D now. Hard to explain..

Anyone got any opinions on running wheel/tyre combos of different circumference? Will it damage the drive units front or rear in the short term?

Agreed. My 2015 rear motor had a huge frunk that was big enough for a spare but Tesla told me to not put it in there because of the possibility of it being pushed into the passenger cabin in case of a crash (so only soft stuff in there).

This is good advice that should not be dismissed. Carrying around a 40 pound cast metal slug inside one of your car’s most important safety features, right in front of where you sit, sounds kinda dumb.

Anyone got any opinions on running wheel/tyre combos of different circumference? Will it damage the drive units front or rear in the short term?
YES, keep the rolling circumference within 1% left to right or go very slowly. The differential can overheat with one side spinning a lot more than the other. Also remember your traction control, having one wheel turning faster on the same axle can make the car drag that side's brake (in theory, never seen it tested).

• Helpful
Reactions: Benjanos
Thanks Mang.Jose, this is exactly what I am looking for, just need to figure out how to get them to send it to my county.

On the frunk side of things, I would gladly have bought a 2WD car with bigger frunk and saved a few $$$. As it happened a CPO D came along and I fell in love. Kinda glad I have a D now. Hard to explain..

There was a discussion here years ago where someone used a smaller spare tire from a BMW that fits the Model S. It works but he said the car noticed the different wheel spin speed and disabled regen and traction control and probably also any AP and TACC.

I don't think it's too much to worry about. You are not going to drive around with a smaller spare for a long time. I live in Los Angeles and I had countless flats. So much junk on the roads here. I have successfully used my Dynaplug tire repair kit many times. Works great and quick.

• Helpful
Reactions: Benjanos