Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is the story of Tesla owner tapping the back before charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Tesla People,

Recently, I've watched some videos in Tiktok about Tesla and I found that many Tesla owners tap the back light of their Tesla 4 to 5 times before charging. Why do they do that?

Simply - that’s one way to open the charging port door. It’s hidden behind a panel that looks like part of the drivers’ side tail light.

There are multiple ways to open the port;
- tap the door
- press a button on the charging plug (Tesla branded charging equipment)
- On the car’s dashboard screen
- Use the Tesla app on your phone

Simply - that’s one way to open the charging port door. It’s hidden behind a panel that looks like part of the drivers’ side tail light.

There are multiple ways to open the port;
- tap the door
- press a button on the charging plug (Tesla branded charging equipment)
- On the car’s dashboard screen
- Use the Tesla app on your phone

Doesn't sound like you have seen the videos the OP mentioned. He is literally tapping the tail light from the back of the car, not the side cover that pops open.

Haven't bothered to look into in detail, but I think that's just his trademark goofy thing to do.

Doesn't sound like you have seen the videos the OP mentioned. He is literally tapping the tail light from the back of the car, not the side cover that pops open.

Haven't bothered to look into in detail, but I think that's just his trademark goofy thing to do.
Perhaps OP should have supplied a link to the videos he is referencing. Without that, the rest of us are left guessing what he might be referring to.

Hi Tesla People,

Recently, I've watched some videos in Tiktok about Tesla and I found that many Tesla owners tap the back light of their Tesla 4 to 5 times before charging. Why do they do that?
It helps line up the electrons so that they can feed into the car in the most efficient manner possible. Without doing that, the electrons tend to bunch up at the charge port which causes a longer recharge session.

It's an Easter egg. If you tap 3 times after connecting the charge cable it will play Pratt & McClain's greatest hits thru the external PWS speaker.

hqdefault.jpg

It helps line up the electrons so that they can feed into the car in the most efficient manner possible. Without doing that, the electrons tend to bunch up at the charge port which causes a longer recharge session.
I suppose that's a lot cheaper than the variable LC inline matching module that's giving me a consistent 220kw at SCs. I use the Loof Lirpa 2200 model but if the tail light tap works just as good you can save some money.

nope. It said Tiktok so that’s a dead giveaway I haven’t seen it. And I won’t, either.

nope. It said Tiktok so that’s a dead giveaway I haven’t seen it. And I won’t, either.

I don't think I've ever viewed a TT clip, nor am I willingly going to in the future. I will only view a YouTube video if it has something to do with cats or cars.

I suspect you both would join me in saying, "now........

get-off-my-lawn.jpg

🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

nah, the car is metallically shielded, so there's a net zero charge under the skin.

there's actually inductive coupling with the blinker fluid - the tapping helps align the lepton spins on the entangled valences.

Reactions: Anothergeek
Status
Not open for further replies.