Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is the "Streaming" app, exactly?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't get what it is. It asks if I have an account and if I want to sign in. I'm interested in making an account but streaming is such a generic word I don't see a way to make one on google.

Is streaming a Tesla specific app? Research online suggest it is based on your region and streaming services available there. I'm in the USA...just confused on what "streaming" actually is.

Maybe I will try making an account via the Tesla itself but I assumed it was like the rest where you make an account elsewhere and sign in with the car later.

Really enjoy it as a streaming app, however. Just want to save more stations and so on.

Reactions: ColoradoMike
In the US I believe its slacker radio, which was re branded.

This is what I see in the users manual under media:

tesla model 3 media owners manual.PNG

I'm paying a monthly fee for the streaming service available on my Model 3 (I guess it is Slacker). However, if I decide I do not want to pay the fee, will I lose any other functionality in my Tesla, such as Internet, maps, etc.? I have spotify so I think I am duplicating my services if I have both.

I'm paying a monthly fee for the streaming service available on my Model 3 (I guess it is Slacker). However, if I decide I do not want to pay the fee, will I lose any other functionality in my Tesla, such as Internet, maps, etc.? I have spotify so I think I am duplicating my services if I have both.
all of that including maps features like traffic but not the overall functionality. Just that you'll be offline for most maps features. Make sense?

If you stop paying from the premium streaming, you will also lose Spotify. For Spotify, you need a paid version of Spotify AND premium connectivity. Things you will lose if you stop paying from premium connectivity include all streaming services, web browser and live traffic maps (but those suck anyway as it seem more like historical data for that location, at least on side roads).

Check out the price of GM's NoStar service and you'll think $10/month is supercheap.
I don't care about GM's NoStar service. But that's like saying paying $4/gal for gas is cheap compared to the $6/gal we're paying now, when gas should only be $3/gal. Subscription services are just a drain on our income, but at least Tesla now lets us pay $99 a year instead of monthly.

So how do you even sign up for an account?
Go to LiveOne - Premium Live Music and click "Sign Up Free." They have free and paid accounts available.
https://www.liveone.com/upgrade shows the perks of Plus and Premium accounts. I think the Tesla "default" account has Plus features, but I've had my own account for about five years so I'm not 100% on that.

A Plus account is $2.99 per month (plus tax, billed annually.) Except while in the car, you can't get 320K "Max" audio quality. You can on your computer or phone app, however.

A Premium account is $9.99 (plus tax, billed monthly.) You still can't get 320K in -car.

But now that Tesla supports Apple Music (I already pay for it via the AppleOne service bundle), I'll probably let my LiveOne Premium subscription expire. Note that there is no easy way to move playlists between the two services, you have to do it manually.

So how do you even sign up for an account?
You don't, it should just be already set when you get the car. I don't know how it is done now, but when I got my car in 2019, Slacker was included and was told it is just a "tesla account." You cannot know the login, although previously, people were given the login from Tesla if they asked, but they stopped doing that. Calling Slacker would get you a clueless person who would spend half an hour trying to figure out why it wasn't working. Had no idea what a Tesla is.
I would assume it is the same way now. You have a Live One or Live X or whatever they call it. It is "just there" and no login required, however, if you choose to logout, you a screwed. Sure, pay for a plus or premium account but why, you get it for free as long as you pay for premium connectivity.

You don't, it should just be already set when you get the car. I don't know how it is done now, but when I got my car in 2019, Slacker was included and was told it is just a "tesla account." You cannot know the login, although previously, people were given the login from Tesla if they asked, but they stopped doing that. Calling Slacker would get you a clueless person who would spend half an hour trying to figure out why it wasn't working. Had no idea what a Tesla is.
I would assume it is the same way now. You have a Live One or Live X or whatever they call it. It is "just there" and no login required, however, if you choose to logout, you a screwed. Sure, pay for a plus or premium account but why, you get it for free as long as you pay for premium connectivity.
I have the option to login… I feel like BigNick has the correct info…

I have the option to login… I feel like BigNick has the correct info…
You don’t need a paid account just to stream music via LiveOne in your car. When you don’t login to your own account (or don’t have an account to use) the Tesla should use the default Tesla account.

But you do need premium connectivity to stream. Otherwise your music choices are USB, FM or paired phone.

I got my M3 in Nov 2018, so sadly I just missed free premium connectivity for life by a few months, but I've been streaming music using the Tesla Slacker login over WiFi/hotspot without issue up to about a week ago. Last week, for some reason (maybe software update?) a cloud version of my driver profile appeared on my screen, whereas before last week, I only had a standard "offline" driver profile. I had no problems changing over to a cloud profile so I deleted my "offline" profile. HOWEVER, it looks like the Slacker login might have been associated with my "offline" profile and it doesn't exist in my cloud profile so I can't login to stream music anymore.

A couple questions:
1) Is premium connectivity now required to use the Tesla slacker login and for the past 5 years was I just lucky to be enjoying free ad free music over WiFi without premium connectivity? Or should use of the Tesla slacker login be expected to work even with standard connectivity?
2) If the Tesla slacker login should be included with standard connectivity (but only over WiFi), is there anyway I can get that login back? I have a lot of stored stations and favorites I'd like to get back.