Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is the thin line above the speed on the Model 3 display

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When it goes to the right and is black, that's the energy being used. When it moves to the left and is green, that's energy being put back into the battery by regenerative braking.
Additionally when the battery is cold or the state of charge is very low, you may see the line become dotted at the end. If it is on the left hand side, that means the regen is limited (either because the battery is almost full or really cold). When its on the righthand end, that means acceleration is limited (usually because the battery charge level is low, so its reducing energy usage)

When it goes to the right and is black, that's the energy being used. When it moves to the left and is green, that's energy being put back into the battery by regenerative braking.
It's mind boggling that they go out of their way to create confusion with their user unfriendly, unintuitive display.
Fifteen years ago, my hybrid had a graphic of an engine, battery, and wheels, with a big arrow between them that changed direction based on battery usage, or regeneration. Within 2 seconds anyone can understand what it represented
A thin line with a barely noticeable bold area doesn't tell the user anything.
What's wrong with making things easy to see and understand?

more prominent, easier to see.
The car seems as if it was designed by 35 year old engineers...for 35 year old engineers. They don't realize older people might not instantly figure out everything, nor be able to read microscopic font warnings (that display for 4 seconds on the bottom of the screen). Hopefully, the IU refresh will improve the utility of the display.
I wish the time/battery/temperature/compass heading were larger, too!

1369715055-Tesla-Model-S-instrument-cluster.jpg

It used to be really obvious - in the early UI versions. The central speedo showed the blue circle on the left for speed then the orange part on the right showed energy being used, and if it went below, green for energy being regen'd.

It was really clear and very readable...

The car seems as if it was designed by 35 year old engineers...for 35 year old engineers. They don't realize older people might not instantly figure out everything, nor be able to read microscopic font warnings (that display for 4 seconds on the bottom of the screen). Hopefully, the IU refresh will improve the utility of the display.

I think its that way on purpose because they dont want people focusing on "whether they are creating regen, how much, etc". Same reason they changed the color of the battery, and battery meter doesnt have both miles and percentage on it, in my opinion.

I am not making any judgement on whether thats "right or correct", as I am not particularly interested in that discussion, on a personal level. Just giving my opinion on why Tesla made that choice.

Reactions: Lindenwood
It's mind boggling that they go out of their way to create confusion with their user unfriendly, unintuitive display.
Fifteen years ago, my hybrid had a graphic of an engine, battery, and wheels, with a big arrow between them that changed direction based on battery usage, or regeneration. Within 2 seconds anyone can understand what it represented
A thin line with a barely noticeable bold area doesn't tell the user anything.
What's wrong with making things easy to see and understand?
Well, auto makers also put an arrow or gas handle on all ICE cars on the gag gauge so people will know which side the gas tank is on....most people don't even know that it has been there after 30yrs of driving!

Snarky reply I know....but, this is Tesla being Tesla...have you seen their website that has like 5,000 job openings, half of those are developer jobs...maybe one is a UI position, certainly likely, and someone can fill the role and provide some good user UI design feedback and get things like this integrated that are different, yet easily usable and intuitive. Took me forever to figure out how to get battery percentage in the display, it isn't very clear the way they label things in the Display. The obvious label would be Battery Percentage or Miles on you flip the toggle...but NOOoooooo!!! It's KW or something like that. Then switched it back to miles, don't understand why people like Batt percentage...haha...I do..but just sayin'

Well, auto makers also put an arrow or gas handle on all ICE cars on the gag gauge so people will know which side the gas tank is on....most people don't even know that it has been there after 30yrs of driving!
Ha! Well, I've been driving much more than 30 years and I'm in the same category of not knowing either. If I get back into an ICE car I need to check that out.

Ha! Well, I've been driving much more than 30 years and I'm in the same category of not knowing either. If I get back into an ICE car I need to check that out.

Its there on almost every vehicle, but I didnt learn about that specific thing until about 10 years ago (I am 54). Once you know its there, its helpful, especially if you drive rental cars sometimes etc... but I would totally agree that most people dont know that arrow is there.

There are other unintuitive aspects of that nearly impossible to see energy line ...
Charts typically show positive and growing numbers moving towards the right, with negative and decreasing numbers moving towards the left. Curiously, Tesla got this backwards.
In addition, the regeneration is green, which is the universally recognized color for EV energy charging...but discharging is shown with a white line. I can't speak for everyone, but it seems red would be a better color (colour for you guys in Canada and the UK), no? Or were they didn't want to imply that red was a negative and were afraid to offend a very (very) large customer base 🇨🇳 that is associated with the color red ??

Last edited:
Reactions: Stach
I think the line was thicker/bigger a year or two ago, and maybe the colors were more vibrant. I concur with jjrandorin, Tesla are trying to limit the information displayed. "it's just like ICE cars" is what they seem to be aiming for. They want to appeal to the masses, not just to the EV geeks (like me), so they remove information. Even on ICE cars, I've seen some consumption indicators with no numbers, just indicating is you were consuming a bit or a lot...

As jjrandorin, I'm not saying it's the best solution, I'm just trying to explain how I think they are making their decisions. I know a lot of people are confused by kW, kWh, wh/mile, amps etc. I believe that is also why they display range left in miles as they do based on EPA.

Reactions: Stach and haroldo
I think the line was thicker/bigger a year or two ago, and maybe the colors were more vibrant. I concur with jjrandorin, Tesla are trying to limit the information displayed. "it's just like ICE cars" is what they seem to be aiming for. They want to appeal to the masses, not just to the EV geeks (like me), so they remove information. Even on ICE cars, I've seen some consumption indicators with no numbers, just indicating is you were consuming a bit or a lot...

As jjrandorin, I'm not saying it's the best solution, I'm just trying to explain how I think they are making their decisions. I know a lot of people are confused by kW, kWh, wh/mile, amps etc. I believe that is also why they display range left in miles as they do based on EPA.
"Noob mode" and "Supernerd mode" options for the display? I want my dashboard lit up like Star Trek.

Reactions: haroldo
You can do supernerd mode but through ScanMyTesla which I have. Alternatives include CANServer and some dashboard apps that people have been developing and are discussing on this forum as well. Tesla does have all the information but it seems to be only available in service mode by the technicians. In the meantime, ScanMyTesla is your best chance.

I was basically having this discussion over coffee this morning. Considering that discussion, I think part of the reason that the regeneration has become less prominent in graphics is a byproduct of bringing electric cars into the way most vehicles are generally used. You don't look at the fuel consumption in real time on most vehicles - and most drivers are not going to look at that in any vehicle. Most people here are different, they have been excited about the electric or hybrid and seeing what they can do.

In general use there will be a look at a battery percentage the same way people glance at a fuel gauge now: "Oh....half...ok, cool, I don't have to worry about that until this weekend." If you step back from focusing on our cars and think about how you drive other vehicles that is exactly what you do. You (if you are a typical driver) are vaguely aware of the fuel level until you get down to about 25% and then you start to think about it. You don't look at the estimated range every time you get in the car and fret if you drove 10 miles to work and it dropped by 12 miles.

The early adopters on electric vehicles wanted to know a lot more information as they were driving - and the charging infrastructure was far less developed than it is now. It mattered a lot more to us. As the infrastructure improves and these vehicles become far more mainstream (Mustang, ID.4, 3's and Y's, etc), the drivers focus on this information is going to become less and the displays will reflect the drivers interest in information.

- the normal cavat: Like everyone I like my own opinion and I could be very far off base.

As a 35 (36 as of the 13th, alough mechanical engineer), I'd prefer some sort of wheels, current bmws tell you the power being made which I'd like to see.