Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

what is the true cost of owning a Tesla MX ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Every MX owner i know is looking to sell it or trade for MY !

Some of them said original warranty is going to expire soon and they don`t want to own it after its expiration.

One lady told me our local service told her it will cost more then $15k for some repairs.

I have read somewhere here that MX wing doors need $1200 for yearly maintenance, is that true?

3 or 4 years old MX still cost more than 6-70k which is a lot of money for used car with only 1 year of warranty left.
Tesla does not give anymore 4 years warranty on used cars

I would like to hear from current owners about their opinion

• Disagree
Reactions: ABC2D

Some of them said original warranty is going to expire soon and they don`t want to own it after its expiration.

One lady told me our local service told her it will cost more then $15k for some repairs.

I have read somewhere here that MX wing doors need $1200 for yearly maintenance, is that true?

3 or 4 years old MX still cost more than 6-70k which is a lot of money for used car with only 1 year of warranty left.
Tesla does not give anymore 4 years warranty on used cars

I would like to hear from current owners about their opinion

I would expect that most people who can afford a $100k car do not keep them much over 4 years - regardless of the car - and also do not want any car out of warranty.

I have a 2018 MX100D with 42,000+ miles. Many trips back and forth from Florida to Massachusetts, one round trip to Oklahoma and one to the west coast, up the coast to Sacramento and back (to Florida). I did purchase an extended warranty. I have only had mine in the shop a few times. One for the third row seats early on, an issue with the front doors auto-present issue and for the MCU2 upgrade and plan on keeping it for a long time. I'm guessing about 10 years which is the minimum I normally keep a car. My Prius is going on 15 years but it only gets used when I want to let the MX rest. I read about others woes but I baby mine a bit and leave high speed for the highways and so far (knock on wood) haven't had anything serious. With all of my travels and supercharging, I am limited now to 108-109 kwh at the SuC but so far hasn't affected me too much. I guess it all depends what your use will be. I am sure it is the same as ICE's. Some used are good, some are bad. Cost so far has been a set of tires which I was able to get at a discount because of warranty. So I think around $800 so far. Driving the MX is so enjoyable, smooth ride and powerful and holds a lot.

The cost of ownership regardless of what vehicle you own or how much you paid comes down to how well you treat your vehicle. Do you disrespect your vehicle, get into accidents, perform crazy stunts, drag race every car you see. it takes a toll on your vehicle. The brakes, the suspension..etc.

If you regularly take car of your vehicle, any vehicle can last 30+ years with minimal cost. There are Model S's with over 100,000 miles and still have their factory brakes and batteries. The model X has not been in existence long enough to really say what the true cost is.

The Model S however is way past 8 years. I would suggest lurking in the Model S forum to see what owners are posting.

If you want to know what the cost of ownership on a Tesla that has been stress tested to the max, look no further than Tesloop. Every repair that has been made was for less than $6,000. Granted vehicles used for taxi services are worn out faster than average owners. .

This Tesla Model X Has Driven Over 400,000 Miles. Here Are All The Parts That Had To Be Replaced

I have a 2018 MX100D with 42,000+ miles. Many trips back and forth from Florida to Massachusetts, one round trip to Oklahoma and one to the west coast, up the coast to Sacramento and back (to Florida). I did purchase an extended warranty. I have only had mine in the shop a few times. One for the third row seats early on, an issue with the front doors auto-present issue and for the MCU2 upgrade and plan on keeping it for a long time. I'm guessing about 10 years which is the minimum I normally keep a car. My Prius is going on 15 years but it only gets used when I want to let the MX rest. I read about others woes but I baby mine a bit and leave high speed for the highways and so far (knock on wood) haven't had anything serious. With all of my travels and supercharging, I am limited now to 108-109 kwh at the SuC but so far hasn't affected me too much. I guess it all depends what your use will be. I am sure it is the same as ICE's. Some used are good, some are bad. Cost so far has been a set of tires which I was able to get at a discount because of warranty. So I think around $800 so far. Driving the MX is so enjoyable, smooth ride and powerful and holds a lot.

I plan on running my Model X 75D into the ground. I'm thinking 30 years, 500,000 miles.

Please don’t generalize. I would never go to a model Y from my X.

2 years in and no maintenance nor expenses but a cracked glass on the fwd due to rock chip.

Neither would I. I owned a Model 3 before the X (apples and oranges).
Some Model S/X owners may not realize what they will be missing if the move to a Y.

Buy extended warranty if worried. Oh BTW they don't offer Extended warranty on Model 3 or Y. But they do on Model S and X.

I've owned more than one Tesla for multiple years out of warranty. Not a big deal. If you think it is, get the extended warranty. Or don't, but just use it as a guide to cover likely costs (invest the money and pay for any repairs yourself). Of course individual cars will vary, but on average (and in my experience) they are covered by the cost of the extended warranties.

I have never heard of any maintenance for the doors.

My wife has an X. She has driven a Y...and has absolutely no interest in switching. The Y is a nice car, but I have posted a long list of extra features that the X has a few times. It is true that few of them are "must-haves", but there are a lot of them.

I know a few other X owners...none of whom have expressed any interest in switching. I know a lot of Model 3 and a few Model S owners that have switched to a Y, but I can't think of any X owners that have.

I have as much interest in replacing our X with a Y as stabbing my self in the eye. I have little interest in a Model 3, the fact its on stilts doesn't change that.

Our X has been the CHEAPEST car to maintain I have ever owned, when the warranty runs out next year I have no plans to extend the warranty or sell it.

I also have no idea why the OP thinks it costs $1000/year to keep the FWDs working, its probably the most over engineered part of the car.

The only car I would replace our X with is a new X, but been a cheapskate that's not going to happen so ours will be kept for at least 8 years.

Am not owned any luxury vehicle in the past, but from a Toyota user, here is my experience 4 years with Tesla (am living in SoCal, clean driving history, 20y insurance without any claims):
+ I have solar: so no fuel cost.
+ The insurance went double just because am owning a Tesla. Tried Tesla insurance - premium offered like -10% but the benefit went down 75%.
+ Tires: MX is a heavy vehicle so it eats tires like crazy. Especially if you love the acceleration :) So I have been changing tires for my Tesla every 2 years - comparing 4-5 years on my previous car.
+ No maintenance required. But you might have to spend a huge amount of time to bring your car to Tesla Service Center. I spent: 6 times to fix FWDs, 3 times for 12V battery, 3 times for cabin noise, 4 times for the rear sensor falling off, 2 times for upgrading HW2.0 to HW3.0, 2 times for MCU2.0 and the bluetooth issue after the upgrade. Comparing to my previous car: 10 years - 10 annually maintenances, 1 time to replace the recalled dashboard.

• Informative
Reactions: polyphonic54
I have a 2014 S with a little over 100k.
Always drove domestic before so repairs were reasonable and usually handled myself.
I love the S but it is the most expensive to repair and least reliable car I have ever owned.
Twice in 3 years 36k miles it has been disabled. My truck an 05 Sierra I have owned simce 2009 need a twice in the whoel 11 years I have owned it. My wife's current Impala has never been towed had it 5 years 90k miles no tow yet, her last one she had 12 years 235k miles towed once for a $20 waterpump that was ridiculously easy to change.

The S has dual chargers one of which wont pull a full 40amps $2200 quote. I just live with the 72amp max though it should be 80.
TPMS module died jammed up the CANBUS to the point I couldn't even get the thing in park. A week later the pack heater died that is high voltage so it disabled the car again.

The brakes particularly in wet climates need maintenance or the pads will bind in the caliper.
I had to have control arms replaced last fall which seems to be a recall ln slightly newer cars.
A bubble has developed in the screen, EMMC issues are brewing, the settling of the rear air suspension has progressed to now I can hear the pump cycle while driving so I have to deal with it soon.

I am not beating on it, I drive 45mph roads to work and to carpool the kids.

Oh and it needs tires way more often than anything else I have ever owned but it is a truck weight car so it is going to be hard on tires.
Will a Tesla save you money vs a Mercedes or BMW maybe but not vs a decent domestic.
Sure electric motors should be more reliable than gas and a transmission, but the rest of it is just another car and an overweight one at that, lots of other stuff to fail and since it is Tesla those parts are $$$$$

I have two MXs. Mine has ~43,000 miles and my wife's has ~24,000 miles. Never had to have the FWD worked on. Don't know where you got that $1,200/year figure, but it's ridiculous. Biggest expense has been tires, but other than heavier weight and the fact that you can't rotate the tires due to different front/back sizes, I'm not sure you can blame the car for that (other makers do the same and even have the same tires). There were service visits early on to resolve some minor warranty issues, but nothing recent. I did the MCU upgrade to my 2017 MX, but that was a personal decision. Have not had any of the problems listed by SSedan or r0xx0r; never had either car fail, both still on original 12v battery.

Neither of us would even consider the MY as a replacement. In fact, even when I get my Cybertruck, my wife wants us to still keep my MX!

Reactions: MrShakeHands
Some of the early X's were poorly built and had pretty major design flaws (i.e. dumping water into the passenger compartment when opening the FWD in rain). I would personally avoid any Model X built before 2017 since a lot of the horror stories come from those early builds. From 2018 and on most of the issues have been fixed and steady improvements have been made.

So the lifetime cost of a 2016 Model X is probably different than the lifetime cost of a 2018 and even more a 2020. Personally my late 2018 build with 30,000 miles has had zero major issues, and one or two minor issues (trim popping off). I recently had to replace my tires for $1000 but that is pretty normal for a large, heavy SUV.

Reactions: r0xx0r

Some of them said.

One lady told me .

I have read somewhere ?

I would like to hear from

One of the great problems of our modern society is that "science" has become "story". Find out the facts, don't just listen to what people say. Particularly if they say it on something like, say, a Tesla motors club blog!

One of the great problems of our modern society is that "science" has become "story". Find out the facts, don't just listen to what people say. Particularly if they say it on something like, say, a Tesla motors club blog!

What a strange post. There's nothing wrong with asking owners about their personal experiences. Obviously it's important to get info from other sources too, but first hand accounts are extremely valuable information.

Reactions: bhzmark
What a strange post. There's nothing wrong with asking owners about their personal experiences. Obviously it's important to get info from other sources too, but first hand accounts are extremely valuable information.

Yes, I would agree. but I guess I was frustrated that that was the only question. Why not ask where to find more facts? Sorry if I bothered you. Didn't mean to offend.