Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

what is the true cost of owning a Tesla MX ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My lease comes up in May Ana I strongly leaning toward another X. I will test drive an Y. But, we have a 3LR and if the Y is like that I will get an X.

So far very little maintenance on X. Not sure where you heard 1200/year on FWDs. They work fine for us,

Similar experience after 34,000 miles and 2.5 years on a Model X 100D lease. Tires and about $40/month for electricity. Room, safety and fun to drive. Falcon wing doors have been perfect. I will continue to drive a Model X.

I continue to be amazed at how well the FWD's are doing out in the field 3-4 and even 5 years out in the wild, from a company that had enver even built a crossover before, let alone done a first and only of its kind door design. Somebody deserves a punch in the face and a handshake for the FWD door design, lol

• Funny
Reactions: cwerdna
Yearly maintenance on a door doesn’t make sense and nothing like that exists in the auto world.

It would be wise to check the out-of-pocket cost to fix those falcon doors when out of warranty. Better be OK with that level of risk. Same goes for air suspension. My non-Tesla BEV has air and it’s something that may have to be dealt with later on.

Expensive cars can be expensive to repair.

Expensive cars can be expensive to repair.

But most original buyers know that going in. It is the used buyers that get hammered with that reality.

My family runs an auto service business. Every year we have a case or two of some young male (it is always males) buying a special variant of a car or exotic sports car and getting a rude surprise when something needs work. The case that sticks in my mind is AMG special version Mercedes Coupe. The person bought the $120K car for $30K. The transmission went out and was a special edition built for this car. We could not source a rebuilt. A new one was $25K. The guy ended up taking the car back broken and it sat for over a year.

The thing to remember is just because the price for a car goes down with age and mileage, the costs for parts and repairs do not.

Reactions: LV1972
With modern reasonably affordable cars as fast and comfy and efficienct as they are (Accords run 13's! ACCORDS), and if you're not a DIY person, I have no earthly idea why you'd want to own anything fancy or expensive out of warranty. I'm a DIY person and still don't want to unlses it's my "fun" or "forever" car. Our W212 is an AMG with that weird 7-speed single wet clutch-omatic and twin turbo direct injected DOHC VVT auto stop-start equipped V8, and it scares the crap out of me, despite me already having tackled some electrical diagnostics, brakes, all the fluids and maintenance stuff on it myself, because guess what, regular old maintenance expenses STILL aren't covered by warranty and are all marked up and/or just expensive because they're trick fast-car parts. I feel sorry for all the cool cars that dip into the mid-teens and get snatched up by the deluded folks who don't see past the asking price. At least it eventually causes the value of a good one to skyrocket once they've almost all been ruined by 20,000 mile oil change intervals and mismatched pep boys tires and youtube videos

At least, thanks to enthusiast sites like this one, plus a ready supply of parts fiche and technical service manuals, the AMG's and M's get some play on how to fix the common issues, and even the weird ones, and troubleshooting is supported by third party apps and such. Tesla...eh sortof? I guess? It's a new company it's still developing. Model X is definitely the most terrifying of the five vehicles Tesla has made from a post-warranty maintenance perspective, but I'm already pretty encouraged by how many people are on here sharing war stories and fixes. And with 20,000 per year, they've already come close to making as many X's as BMW M3's sold in the US since 1988. So, I have hope. The 4 year warranty ran out on the first of these LAST YEAR, which while it seems like a lot of time has passed because 2020, is no time at all.

The FWD seems a lot like a hardtop convertible top to me. Very hydraulics, much complicate, wow, hope I never have to fix this myself

Last edited:
Reactions: LV1972
[QUOTE="Richbot”]
The FWD seems a lot like a hardtop convertible top to me. Very hydraulics, much complicate, wow, hope I never have to fix this myself[/QUOTE]

The more you open/close your FwDs, the more chance you would end up fixing it. I have been using FWD like 8-12 times per day for 4 years - loading stuff, kids in various weather condition. So it misaligned few times, components loosen. Also the interior pieces will loosen - because Tesla is using clips everywhere and they are not secured. Am lucky enough that when I said I can diy fixing em, the SC gave me few dozen clips just in case.
Also the ultrasonic sensors, they glued it to bumpers. So the more you park the car in hot/cold weather conditions, the more chance it would fell out. You can fix it by removing like 40 screws, fry dozen clips, removing the bumper urself then add adhesive or use tape to “help” the thing. But well it is a design flaws.
That why I don’t recommend anyone to keep an out of warranty model X. And because all the doors are motorized, so I tell people use the keyfob or phone to open the door as much as possible and don’t try to open the doors hard if you want them last.

All my issues were fixed under warranty. But they also gave me a number for each bill.

FWD issues: from $2400 to $7000
Falling sensor: $230 to apply adhesive or $750 to replace the sensor.
Suspension issue (diagnosis only): $525
Replace the failure clip: $190

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
Our MX is a pain in costs. Had to change the head light last year August for $2200. Thought LED lights would last a life time..
This month front suspension needed maintenance whole lot of links and struds etc…..$5500.
Had it for a week and made still noises. Now the air shocks needed replacement so on top of the $5500 I spend last week now an extra $3500!

Never had such an expensive car in maintenance. This is getting out of hand.

Our MX is a pain in costs. Had to change the head light last year August for $2200. Thought LED lights would last a life time..
This month front suspension needed maintenance whole lot of links and struds etc…..$5500.
Had it for a week and made still noises. Now the air shocks needed replacement so on top of the $5500 I spend last week now an extra $3500!

No warranty?

These are 'known' costs. LED lights on any of the major car brands can and do fail, sadly they all cost $$$$ to replace.

Air suspension also fails with time/age, its common to all brands. Am surprised at your replacement costs. Tesla uses MB parts essentially, and local garages should be able to do the work for $$$ not $$$$.

Am quite lucky to have an independent EV garage 10 minutes away from the house whom are happy to work on the X at much cheaper labour rates than Tesla.

They just replaced the front heater in our X for £650, Tesla had quoted £870.

Reactions: Dutchie
These are 'known' costs. LED lights on any of the major car brands can and do fail, sadly they all cost $$$$ to replace.

Air suspension also fails with time/age, its common to all brands. Am surprised at your replacement costs. Tesla uses MB parts essentially, and local garages should be able to do the work for $$$ not $$$$.

Am quite lucky to have an independent EV garage 10 minutes away from the house whom are happy to work on the X at much cheaper labour rates than Tesla.

They just replaced the front heater in our X for £650, Tesla had quoted £870.
“Known costs” sure. But not at the <5 year mark.

This is worse than Land Rover reliability.

IIRC Lexus LS air suspension has some problems around 100k miles too. I would be interested to know if there is an AS system that can truly go 200k miles without question.
The Tesla MX never struck me as reliable, or having low cost of ownership, but I suppose if you're coming from a MB G-Wagon or AMG SUV the fuel savings would tilt the equation in your favor.

105k miles is pretty reasonable for needing air suspension work. Equally if you want reabiltiy plenty of choices offered by Toyota :).
Tesla fanbois (not directed at you personally) like to talk out of both sides of their mouth when it comes to cost of ownership.

On the one hand, these cars are supposed to have million mile batteries and fewer moving parts that need replacement.

In reality, it is absolutely common for a battery, drive unit, suspension system, etc.. to crap out at least once within the warranty period and many times outside of it.

Totally on-par with my other fancy expensive cars so far, maintenance wise. It's all been warranty except tires, of course. The only difference, and it's a reasonably big one, is the whole "no oil changes" thing. Oh, and instead of rotating the tires every 15,000 miles, you just replace them. The only other cost of ownership advantage vs. our benz is the fuel. Insurance is significantly more expensive than any other car I've owned, I presume because it's also the most expensive car I've ever owned. But then, none of my other cars has ever appreciated by $10k+ after a year and a half and 23,000 miles of driving either...

My advice is to budget as if you're buying a BMW of similar cost and age. If you end up pleasantly surprised, great. But better to be pleasantly surprised, than unpleasantly