TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

What is the weight of AWD?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by SoCalGuy, Jul 8, 2018.

1. SoCalGuy

SoCalGuy Member

How much weight do we think the AWD variant will add over the RWD?

Do we think the front motor will weight more than 150 lbs? I wonder if it'll keep the car under 4,000 lbs...

2. mblakele

mblakele (つ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)つ

I don't know about the TM3, but according to Tesla Model S - Wikipedia the curb weight for D vs RWD differs by 110-lb for the 100 and 198-lb for the 75.

Seems odd that it'd be different for different battery packs, so I suspect there's something else going on.

• Helpful x 1
  3. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

Uh...did they ever make a RWD 100? My memory is hazy but I thought it came out when the only RWD was the 75 or other smaller pack.

• Like x 1
  4. lklundin

lklundin Member

Correct, there is no 100 kWh RWD. The above weights quoted from Wikipedia is for the P100D vs 100D, i.e. Performance vs non-Performance.

• Like x 1
  5. WarpedOne

WarpedOne Supreme Premier

Wikipedia:
    • 4,323 lb (1,961 kg) (60) : 4,608 lb (2,090 kg) (60D) = +129kg
    • 4,410 lb (2,000 kg) (70) : 4,608 lb (2,090 kg) (70D) = +90kg
    • 4,410 lb (2,000 kg) (75) : 4,608 lb (2,090 kg) (75D)= +90kg
    • 4,647 lb (2,108 kg) (85) : 4,824 lb (2,188 kg) (85D)= +80kg
    • 4,656 lb (2,112 kg) (P85) : 4,936 lb (2,239 kg) (P85D)= +127kg
    • 4,731 lb (2,146 kg) (P85+) : 4,936 lb (2,239 kg) (P85D)= +93kg
    I'd guess in case of M3LDM there difference is not more than +80kg...
    Wiki: Long-range: 3,814 lb (1,730 kg)
    Speculation: Long-range Dual: 3,990 lb (1,810 kg)

• Like x 2
  6. NickFie

NickFie Member

Until about December 2017, AWD and SAS were additional cost on S 100.

7. ℬête Noire

ℬête Noire Active Member

#7 ℬête Noire, Jul 9, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
    The Model 3 was also designed from the beginning to have a D variant, is lighter (thus requiring less power so somewhat smaller motor), and is narrower (so shorter drive shaft). Model S front track width is 65.4" (official from Tesla site) compared to 62.2" on the Model 3 (Car & Driver, curiously Tesla doesn't have a proper spec pages on their site yet), so 5% shorter there. It'll need about 20% power so about 10% lower weight on the motor (weight drops roughly as square root of power). Also the high power cables will be shorter. It might be as low as 68kg-70kg difference.

On the other hand I think the Wiki curb weight for the Model 3 is on the low side? Car & Driver has the LR at 3838lb. There has been a few alterations since that July 2017 source that Wikipedia uses. Also, they might have added some better heat management to the front motor, as they did the Model 3's rear motor, and that could add a bit of weight.

So all in all it'll probably be very close to 4000lb with a good chance it doesn't go over.

8. voip-ninja

voip-ninja Give me some sugar baby

I would be quite surprised if AWD on the model 3 adds more than 80kg to the curb weight of the car. Probably more like 50.

9. SoCalGuy

SoCalGuy Member

I'm surprised they haven't released these specs yet given they should be making deliveries of the P and AWD very soon...

10. TesWhisperer

TesWhisperer Member

I’ve heard theories that they’re waiting for regulatory approval or official specs before pushing out their AWD stockpile

11. ℬête Noire

ℬête Noire Active Member

The Tesla web site doesn't even list the LR's physical specifications yet (like it does the Model S and X) and that's now been shipping for very nearly a full year.

12. lklundin

lklundin Member

If you imply that it was at some point possible to buy a RWD Model S with a 100 kWh battery, then I invite you to supply a source for that.

• Like x 1
  13. NickFie

NickFie Member

My apologies, probably confused with S 75/75D. Our requirements and candidate models evolved through several stages last year when we were shopping. At each stage we balanced the potential benefit against the additional expense.

100 KWh battery - Improved highway range, faster recharge. No regrets. Extra benefit that we don't need to recharge every night.

EAP - We're grandparents. Concluded the safety for us and grandchildren in the back seat justified the cost.

Dual Motors - Improved highway range and better winter driving justified the option.

Smart Air Suspension - Improved highway range was the (weak) rationale. Now love it for the magic carpet smooth ride; option to raise the car when circumstances demand.

Rear Facing Seats - decided we wanted the trunk capacity, not many scenarios when we would need the additional seating.

Sub-Zero Package - recommended by a friend who lives near Mt. Washington, NH. It's useful.

Performance version - no reason to spend more money for shorter range. Very satisfied with acceleration capability of S 100D.

Waiting until we can order a Model 3 LR with Dual Motors and SAS.

14. SoCalGuy

SoCalGuy Member

Well it looks like now we know...

According to the updated Model 3 website, the AWD and the Performance versions weigh in at a porky 4,072 lbs! That's around 230 lbs or so heavier than the LR RWD.

• Helpful x 2
    • Informative x 1
  15. SD_Engnr

SD_Engnr Member

Two tons of fun!

16. apacheguy

apacheguy S Sig #255

Interesting. That’s quite a bit more than anyone had been speculating.

• Like x 1
  17. SD_Engnr

SD_Engnr Member

I think there was speculation for exactly that amount or real close to it. Maybe not in this thread, but I thought I saw it somewhere.

18. ℬête Noire

ℬête Noire Active Member

That's a lot of extra weight. I wonder if they've been more aggressive about adding heat management gear than they were with the Model S?

19. xav-

xav- Active Member

So 430 lbs compared to the SR... it’s gonna make a big difference. I think the SR is going to be amazing in the handling compartment. Likely on par with a Porsche boxter or cayman I bet with the right tires.

20. voip-ninja

voip-ninja Give me some sugar baby

Wow. Um. What the hell? There is no drive shaft connecting it to the rear wheels and no transfer case. What possibly explains this?