Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is the weight of AWD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Isn't it a bit over 200 in the S to add a front drive unit? (205 comparing a listed weight I found for an S70 vs a 70D for example)....Pretty comparable....
The question is why is it [a modestly] higher difference on a fundamentally smaller vehicle? Shorter drive shaft (the Model 3 has a few inches narrower track). Lower vehicle mass so smaller power motor required. Designed as AWD from the beginning rather than a RWD design retro-fitted after the fact.

The only thing that occurs to me is they've added a more motor heat management.

Last edited:
The higher performance larger brakes on the Performance model would also add some additional weight.

With so much of the weight of the batteries and brakes so low on the car, the penalty for the extra weight would be minimal.

Front motor might even improve the balance of the car.

Gotta look at more than just the weight.

Would that thermal management be necessary on the non-P AWD?

They made the choice, probably to save manufacturing/design complications for now, to use the same parts for both. So for today that question is moot

For the future? It may be an attempt to push durability closer to matching the rear drive unit? Or they may eventual integrate to two different versions of the front drive unit.

Would also differentiate P and non P through more than just software (a plus for Tesla, IMO).

I keep hearing this and it strikes me as something that if just for the sake of being would be bereft of any real benefit. I fact it's kinda an antithesis of Tesla's overarching core design philosophy. Build a physical lump, the software adds the value and variation late in design cycle.

Isn't it a bit over 200 in the S to add a front drive unit? (205 comparing a listed weight I found for an S70 vs a 70D for example)....Pretty comparable....

The motor, as a part, shouldn't weigh more than 50-80kg.... based on it being a considerably smaller motor than what is needed for the S.

I can't really fathom it, unless the weight being shown is for the P version and includes other enhancements.

The motor, as a part, shouldn't weigh more than 50-80kg.... based on it being a considerably smaller motor than what is needed for the S..

It's not just the motor, it's an entire front drive unit... which again adds over 200 lbs in the S. (S70 vs S70D)

Do we actually know the 3 one is any smaller than the S one? Unlike the rear we know it's the same type as the S anyway.

I can't really fathom it, unless the weight being shown is for the P version and includes other enhancements.

P and AWD have the same drive units.

Do we actually know the 3 one is any smaller than the S one? Unlike the rear we know it's the same type as the S anyway.

Difference between P85+ and P85D is still only 205lb. What is the weight of AWD?

Why there is as much variance between all those is not clear to me, though. So there could be some other factor at work. There might be a lot more suspension modification between the LR and the D/P than was happening in the P85+ and P85D? The + will likely have been readied for the stronger stresses of laying out the extra HP. That would be somewhat odd as the LR frame already has the mounting brackets for the front motor, so I wouldn't expect frame differences between the two.

Last edited:
I was curious what my long range, dual motor model 3 weighed, and specifically each corner to see how balanced it was. It's only slightly biassed to the front with the addition of the front motor.

Left Front 1026lbs
Right Front 1021lbs
Left Rear 1006lbs
Right Rear 1015lbs
Total 4068lbs

IMG_5149.JPG

Sadly it didn't even occur to me to get my wife to take the readings with me in it, but I'll take you word for the percentages (I'm about 225lbs and have to lean the seat back pretty far). I also didn't think to take a picture of the car on the scales. Too lazy to replicate it :)