TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

What is the Wh/mile number to achieve Rated Range on an X?

Discussion in 'Model X: Battery & Charging' started by hiroshiy, Oct 1, 2016.

1. hiroshiy

hiroshiy Active Member

So currently I have Model S Sig P85 and am waiting delivery of Model X. Japanese Model S P85 has 320Wh/mile as the Rated Range. I know older Classic U.S. Model S has 300Wh/mile, and newer D models seems to have 290Wh/mile.

Now what is the Wh/mile number to achieve Rated with Model X?

2. BizJet

BizJet Member

327 wH/mile will give you the rated range.

• Like x 1
  3. hiroshiy

hiroshiy Active Member

327? Is it that non-round number? I thought 290, 300, 330 or something like that.

4. hiroshiy

hiroshiy Active Member

I found one data point from @FlatSix911 's post in another thread.
    So based on these numbers since recent D models of Model S is rated at 290Wh/mile, the rated is 13% higher then:
    290 x 1.13 = 327.8
    So is it almost like 328Wh/mile?

5. Birdcar

Birdcar Member

On X90D, each rated mile == 324wh.

• Like x 2
  6. hiroshiy

hiroshiy Active Member

Hi, @Birdcar, how do you find the number? Thanks for the info! It seems X has 12%-13% higher consumption compared to S dual motor models?

More data points please?

7. digicool

digicool Member

Model X drawing 327 Wh/mile has been explained around here. What is still open and infact concerning is the available battery capacity.
    257 rated miles at 328 Wh/mile equates to 84 kWh available capacity. I'd love to see datapoints on people being able to use this full capacity. As I've been recently sharing in a few threads, my car says 365 wH/mile average but only gives me about 205 miles with 100% charge. That equates to about 75 kWh of available capacity.

• Like x 1
  8. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure this All Out

The best figure I ever saw for a 90 kWh battery was 80,364 usable.

9. LastGas

LastGas Member

Another approach is to take the EPA rated energy usage and multiply by the charging efficiency, which is often put at 85%. Using that method a 2016 Tesla Model X AWD - 90D has a rated usage at the battery of 314.5.

• Like x 1
  10. Birdcar

Birdcar Member

From the following pictures, you see that there are 207 Rated mile left. From the usage page, the usage is 284wh/mile and projected range is 236 miles. So the
    Rated mile = 284 * 236 / 207 = 324 wh

[​IMG][​IMG]

• Informative x 1
  11. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 918 Hybrid

Correct :cool:

• Like x 1
  12. amolt

amolt Member

I was told by a Tesla rep that it is about 300 Wh/m but he may just be guesstimating off the top of his head. In any case (300 or 324 or 327), I think it is would extremely difficult to attain that low a number. I have had my Model X 90D for about 10 days now and initially, I was getting more like 440-450 Wh/m. After making a conscious effort to drive more carefully (which really takes the fun out of driving this marvelous vehicle), I came down to about 390-400 Wh/m. I think Tesla folks should be more forthcoming about these ranges. I am scared to make a 250 mile journey (the 1st supercharger is located at about 196 miles away after I start). With 390-400 Wh/m, I could probably get about 180 miles when the battery is 100 percent charged...

13. hiroshiy

hiroshiy Active Member

If the rated is 328Wh/mile as some if the experts suggested, then you can save much more energy with very little effort. I think you are measuring Wh/mile in very short trip? If so Wh/m number is much higher, as for example if AC is on it uses a lot more power to start the compressor up.

Try measuring it in at least 30 miles then you'll see real long range efficiency. And if you take the first long trip to the next Supercharger, try driving slow like 65mph for the first half distance, then speed up to 70mph for the next quarter distance, then if you are still comfortable with the remaining range, drive faster while watching decreasing range. You'll be fine. Speed is the most contributing factor to power consumption .

14. amolt

amolt Member

@ hiroshiy: Thanks. Yes, my trips have been short and so you guessed correctly that I am measuring the Wh/m for very short trips. I intend to take a longer trip this weekend and get an idea. The wh/m, rated range, projected range, etc concepts will take some time getting used to...

• Like x 1
  15. amolt

amolt Member

The other issue is, in Texas, most highways have a speed limit of 75. So going at 65 when others are doing 75-80.... not fun!

• Like x 1
  16. ptsagcy

ptsagcy Member

I now have 12,000 miles on my P90. My Wh/mi lifetime is 355. I do not baby the car and that includes one evening at the drags. It also includes several long distance trips. As has been pointed out numerous times, many factors greatly affect range: speed, outside temps, winds, load weight, rain & terrain.

• Informative x 1
  17. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

What wheels do you have? 20" or 22"?

18. Remital55

Remital55 Member

How great of an effect does temperature play in range?
    Have only had my 90D MX since end of July.
    Am wondering what winter temperatures in Northern Virginia will have on the efficiency. (Around freezing).
    Thanks.

19. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 918 Hybrid

Take a look at the online range calculator for the Model S to get a feel for various factors that effect range. Model S | Tesla

I don't see a calculator for Model X at this time, however there is additional information on this Tesla Blog by JB Straubel, Chief Technical Officer. Driving Range for the Model S Family

upload_2016-10-23_13-2-53.png

• Helpful x 1
  20. Aljohn

Aljohn Member

With my P90D, 22 inch rims, it is 320-325. Usually achieved on Hyw with ~ 65mph driving in Cruise Control. That is based on my experience where the rated and actual (last 30 miles) equal the same.

• Informative x 1