Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is the Wh/mile number to achieve Rated Range on an X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

hiroshiy

So currently I have Model S Sig P85 and am waiting delivery of Model X. Japanese Model S P85 has 320Wh/mile as the Rated Range. I know older Classic U.S. Model S has 300Wh/mile, and newer D models seems to have 290Wh/mile.

Now what is the Wh/mile number to achieve Rated with Model X?

Model X drawing 327 Wh/mile has been explained around here. What is still open and infact concerning is the available battery capacity.
257 rated miles at 328 Wh/mile equates to 84 kWh available capacity. I'd love to see datapoints on people being able to use this full capacity. As I've been recently sharing in a few threads, my car says 365 wH/mile average but only gives me about 205 miles with 100% charge. That equates to about 75 kWh of available capacity.

Reactions: hiroshiy
Hi, @Birdcar, how do you find the number? Thanks for the info! It seems X has 12%-13% higher consumption compared to S dual motor models?

More data points please?

From the following pictures, you see that there are 207 Rated mile left. From the usage page, the usage is 284wh/mile and projected range is 236 miles. So the
Rated mile = 284 * 236 / 207 = 324 wh

179691-ec4e820a8ac30584ab84de6de994e033.jpg
179690-1f252e5f32ca31e235351ea256c9152d.jpg

• Informative
I was told by a Tesla rep that it is about 300 Wh/m but he may just be guesstimating off the top of his head. In any case (300 or 324 or 327), I think it is would extremely difficult to attain that low a number. I have had my Model X 90D for about 10 days now and initially, I was getting more like 440-450 Wh/m. After making a conscious effort to drive more carefully (which really takes the fun out of driving this marvelous vehicle), I came down to about 390-400 Wh/m. I think Tesla folks should be more forthcoming about these ranges. I am scared to make a 250 mile journey (the 1st supercharger is located at about 196 miles away after I start). With 390-400 Wh/m, I could probably get about 180 miles when the battery is 100 percent charged...

I was told by a Tesla rep that it is about 300 Wh/m but he may just be guesstimating off the top of his head. In any case (300 or 324 or 327), I think it is would extremely difficult to attain that low a number. I have had my Model X 90D for about 10 days now and initially, I was getting more like 440-450 Wh/m. After making a conscious effort to drive more carefully (which really takes the fun out of driving this marvelous vehicle), I came down to about 390-400 Wh/m. I think Tesla folks should be more forthcoming about these ranges. I am scared to make a 250 mile journey (the 1st supercharger is located at about 196 miles away after I start). With 390-400 Wh/m, I could probably get about 180 miles when the battery is 100 percent charged...
If the rated is 328Wh/mile as some if the experts suggested, then you can save much more energy with very little effort. I think you are measuring Wh/mile in very short trip? If so Wh/m number is much higher, as for example if AC is on it uses a lot more power to start the compressor up.

Try measuring it in at least 30 miles then you'll see real long range efficiency. And if you take the first long trip to the next Supercharger, try driving slow like 65mph for the first half distance, then speed up to 70mph for the next quarter distance, then if you are still comfortable with the remaining range, drive faster while watching decreasing range. You'll be fine. Speed is the most contributing factor to power consumption .

@ hiroshiy: Thanks. Yes, my trips have been short and so you guessed correctly that I am measuring the Wh/m for very short trips. I intend to take a longer trip this weekend and get an idea. The wh/m, rated range, projected range, etc concepts will take some time getting used to...

And if you take the first long trip to the next Supercharger, try driving slow like 65mph for the first half distance, then speed up to 70mph for the next quarter distance, then if you are still comfortable with the remaining range, drive faster while watching decreasing range. You'll be fine. Speed is the most contributing factor to power consumption .
The other issue is, in Texas, most highways have a speed limit of 75. So going at 65 when others are doing 75-80.... not fun!

I now have 12,000 miles on my P90. My Wh/mi lifetime is 355. I do not baby the car and that includes one evening at the drags. It also includes several long distance trips. As has been pointed out numerous times, many factors greatly affect range: speed, outside temps, winds, load weight, rain & terrain.

• Informative
What wheels do you have? 20" or 22"?

How great of an effect does temperature play in range? Have only had my 90D MX since end of July.
Am wondering what winter temperatures in Northern Virginia will have on the efficiency. (Around freezing).
Thanks.

Take a look at the online range calculator for the Model S to get a feel for various factors that effect range. Model S | Tesla

I don't see a calculator for Model X at this time, however there is additional information on this Tesla Blog by JB Straubel, Chief Technical Officer. Driving Range for the Model S Family

upload_2016-10-23_13-2-53.png

• Helpful