TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

What is this? (Found under charge port door)

Discussion in 'Roadster: Technical' started by gregd, Jul 10, 2016.

1. gregd

gregd Member

Hi folks,

So I opened the charge port door the other night, and this thing drops and rattles around the bottom of the portal. I didn't see where it came from. I had Henry's CAN JR in one hand, and opened the door with the other. The door opens really stiffly (takes two fingers under the opening and a strong tug to open it). It's black rubber, threaded on the inside. Bigger than a tire valve cap. Doesn't seem to go anywhere - in the charge portal, or on the CAN. Last place I had charged was at work, also using the CAN JR. Don't recall it being in there at that time.

If someone said it landed there from outer space, I might believe them. It just appeared. Any clue where it goes?

Mystery_Cap.jpg

2. tvuolo

tvuolo Member

I don't know about the cap, but if you squirt a tiny bit of WD40 on the latch, it won't be as stiff. There's a thread around here somewhere about that. It seems to last about a year before needing another squirt.

3. sethr

sethr CPO Roadster #1089

I looked closely at the charging port and my CAN Jr., there's nothing vaguely like it. Is it possible that a friend (or someone else) is playing a little trick on you? Then again, maybe someone found it near your Roadster, and put it where you would be sure to find it. OR.... maybe you should believe in gremlins!

4. hcsharp

hcsharp Active Member

I vote for that theory. Is it possible it was on the J1772 connector, such as the cover for the button?

5. gregd

gregd Member

Button? What button are you referring to?

I had just driven to the site, stopped the car, and got out to connect for the charging session. My recollection was that I had the marvelous CAN JR in my left hand, and opened the door with the right, and the rubber cap appeared at that time in the bottom of the portal, like it fell off the inside of the door and dropped to the bottom. The J1772 cable from the charger (it's a Clipper Creek model) would still have been wrapped around the charger at the time. Have to connect the CAN JR first, then go get the charge cable and attach it.

Is there anything inside the car, behind the portal door's hinge toward the front of the car, that might have bounced into the portal area?

6. MLAUTO

MLAUTO Member

I've had the charge door removed and completely disassembled, and have never seen anything like that.

7. Botbldr45

Botbldr45 Member

8. gregd

gregd Member

Must be. I still haven't found the source of the cap...