Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is this high pitched cricket like noise?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If the noise in your car "stays away", I'm impressed with your SC. At least the fourth visit.
Thanks for the invoice, I will bring it to my appointment 20/04.

Keep us posted when the cold weather comes back. Norway is still at 35-45F in the mornings.
Ha. I had her out the last two mornings in the 40F range. No noise. I’ve driven 125 miles since the repair. I’m certain I would’ve heard it by now. I’m going to declare it fixed. If it does reappear I will report back.

I really hope some of your SCs will be willing to get the bottom of this for you. Now you can give them a shortcut. If there’s anything else I can provide let me know.

Ha. I had her out the last two mornings in the 40F range. No noise. I’ve driven 125 miles since the repair. I’m certain I would’ve heard it by now. I’m going to declare it fixed. If it does reappear I will report back.

I really hope some of your SCs will be willing to get the bottom of this for you. Now you can give them a shortcut. If there’s anything else I can provide let me know.
Thanks update! Hopefully we can convince our SC's to do the same repair.

As a side note, I ended up sticking a microphone on a magnet to the screws of the front drive unit (pretty easy to get to under the 12V battery). You can hear all sorts of cool noises, but one that is quite notable and pretty loud is that hissing noise. Interestingly you can actually sometimes hear it down to 10-15 mph. To make sure I wasn't just picking up the noise from some other component, I connected the magnet to a different surface and it was almost silent. You could actually hear the noise a tiny bit, but not nearly as loud as the drive unit. Considering the noise propagates all the way into the cabin, it would be expected you could hear it a bit in that nearby piece of metal too. Conclusion just reinforces what Benito's SC already concluded, noise is from the front drive unit.

Reactions: Benito1283

Is everything still going good for you? Did the noise come back?

I sent my SC my recording and your recording (hope you don't mind) to tell them the front motor replacement solved your sound and that our noise was identical. I'm trying to save myself from false diagnoses.

Is everything still going good for you? Did the noise come back?

I sent my SC my recording and your recording (hope you don't mind) to tell them the front motor replacement solved your sound and that our noise was identical. I'm trying to save myself from false diagnoses.
All good here! Noise has not returned. I consider it fixed. Really hope your SC can get yours addressed. You could add that my SC had engineering do a remote diagnosis and they determined it was a burnt bearing in the front drive unit. Not sure if they'll need the car in for an appt to do that or not.

I can double confirm my car is fixed. It was pretty cold here today and I had to drop my dog off at camp about 30 miles away. Lots of highway and big two lane roads. Not a peep. Car is fantastic. Really hope those with this issue are able to get it resolved.
Well mine is going in tomorrow morning and it seems they are going to provide free rental car. I still haven't seen any direct response to my other messages so maybe it has become a wide spread enough issue that they know this fix is a front drive replacement. Wish me luck!!

UNb9TX9.jpg

aq6Joq7.jpg

Reactions: Benito1283
I made a service appointment about a month ago for the noise, but since it's been getting warmer and I've been hearing the noise less and less. So last Friday was the appointment date, but of course it's warm out (65F or so) and they don't hear anything. I saw that it was supposed to get cooler again Monday (today) so I asked them to keep it and try it then. And sure enough, they hear it this morning, when it was 40-45F or so out. However not they're saying this:

"verified customer concern Was able to replicate the customers concern when the vehicle was very
cold, but the noise went away after a minute of driving. The noise is very faint and does not sound
concerning at this time, and may just be a result of the drive units still being new and requiring a
break-in period. Please have the customer drive the vehicle for a few thousand miles, and if the
noise gets worse or does not go away then the issue can be re visited"

Since summer is coming, I'm tempted to let this rest until it gets cold again. For one, it doesn't bother me when its warm out, and second, it might be hard for them to prove they fixed it when it's warm out. That being said, some of their "discoveries" in that note are BS, it definitely doesn't just go away after a minute, it might come/go temporarily, but when it's cold, it persists for at least 20-30 mins. I also don't buy that it needs to be "broken in", there is definitely something wrong here.

I made a service appointment about a month ago for the noise, but since it's been getting warmer and I've been hearing the noise less and less. So last Friday was the appointment date, but of course it's warm out (65F or so) and they don't hear anything. I saw that it was supposed to get cooler again Monday (today) so I asked them to keep it and try it then. And sure enough, they hear it this morning, when it was 40-45F or so out. However not they're saying this:

"verified customer concern Was able to replicate the customers concern when the vehicle was very
cold, but the noise went away after a minute of driving. The noise is very faint and does not sound
concerning at this time, and may just be a result of the drive units still being new and requiring a
break-in period. Please have the customer drive the vehicle for a few thousand miles, and if the
noise gets worse or does not go away then the issue can be re visited"

Since summer is coming, I'm tempted to let this rest until it gets cold again. For one, it doesn't bother me when its warm out, and second, it might be hard for them to prove they fixed it when it's warm out. That being said, some of their "discoveries" in that note are BS, it definitely doesn't just go away after a minute, it might come/go temporarily, but when it's cold, it persists for at least 20-30 mins. I also don't buy that it needs to be "broken in", there is definitely something wrong here.
I'm in basically the same situation as you. I rode with the tech on Friday but it was 70F at 8:00 that morning and it was a 40 minute drive to get to the SC and we couldn't replicate the noise. I heard the noise when leaving my house but only for a few minutes. I told them the temperature had to be low 60s or less and the sound is consistent while driving. He made a comment like the bearing noise should not be temperature dependent which gave me some concern since a) I'm an engineer and b) I've been working on cars my entire life. Heat changes the properties of not only the metal but the viscosity of the grease in the bearing. So heat or lack thereof would be the most likely cause of a bearing issue. I didn't really feel like calling him out on it while he was driving my car though.

They were supposed to take it our first thing this morning and try and replicate but I haven't heard anything from them yet. I guess I'll be taking it back when temperatures start to cool down here later this year.

Hello, checking in from Sweden!

I received my new M3 LR (China) end of March 2022 (produced in Feb 2022). From the start I have had the exact same issue that the rest of you in this thread. Sound occurs between 25mph to 55mph and is “worst” when the car is cold and when you are around very little regeneration or very little acceleration, basically when you are maintaining a constant speed. After finding this thread and understood that I was not crazy and the only one who heard this sound, I booked a service appointment for the issue 25/04.

I did a test drive with the technician in the morning, and he heard the sound that was consistent during the drive (about 20 min). Pretty cold in Sweden now, around 40-50 Fahrenheit. They had the car for one and a half day and I received the following answer yesterday:

“Confirmed the concern, there is ahigh pitch noise when driving around high speeds in 40-70 kph range, due to the new powertrain for the model 3 in the front motor, so all the necessary tests were needed to be done to ensure this is not a fault in craftmanship or assembly, the noise seemed to come from the front of the vehicle. Checked for any sound leaks in the vehicle using an ultrasonic scanner I concluded that the noise is as designed and is only caused as a resonance made by the motor electronics (inverter transistors) making simply electrical noise, similar to an accelerating electric train, which is nothing wrong with the motors themselves. I have escalated further to the engineer for second opinion and waiting for answer. We will reach you back as soon as we have more information.”

So basically, my technician concluded “noise is as designed”. I have a hard time to accept this sound to be as designed but not sure how to move further. For now, I’ll wait until they reach back with the second opinion. And since summer is coming I guess the noise will occur more seldom so maybe, like some others in this thread, I’ll have to wait until it starts getting colder again.

I received my new M3 LR (China) end of March 2022 (produced in Feb 2022). From the start I have had the exact same issue that the rest of you in this thread. Sound occurs between 25mph to 55mph and is “worst” when the car is cold and when you are around very little regeneration or very little acceleration, basically when you are maintaining a constant speed. After finding this thread and understood that I was not crazy and the only one who heard this sound, I booked a service appointment for the issue 25/04.

I did a test drive with the technician in the morning, and he heard the sound that was consistent during the drive (about 20 min). Pretty cold in Sweden now, around 40-50 Fahrenheit. They had the car for one and a half day and I received the following answer yesterday:

“Confirmed the concern, there is ahigh pitch noise when driving around high speeds in 40-70 kph range, due to the new powertrain for the model 3 in the front motor, so all the necessary tests were needed to be done to ensure this is not a fault in craftmanship or assembly, the noise seemed to come from the front of the vehicle. Checked for any sound leaks in the vehicle using an ultrasonic scanner I concluded that the noise is as designed and is only caused as a resonance made by the motor electronics (inverter transistors) making simply electrical noise, similar to an accelerating electric train, which is nothing wrong with the motors themselves. I have escalated further to the engineer for second opinion and waiting for answer. We will reach you back as soon as we have more information.”

So basically, my technician concluded “noise is as designed”. I have a hard time to accept this sound to be as designed but not sure how to move further. For now, I’ll wait until they reach back with the second opinion. And since summer is coming I guess the noise will occur more seldom so maybe, like some others in this thread, I’ll have to wait until it starts getting colder again.
Jag är i en liknande situation. Hämtade ut min model Y i mars. Mitt ljud stämmer in klockrent på hur de andra i tråden har beskrivit det och stämmer mot de ljudfiler som lagts in. Ett gnisslande/knastrande (inte helt olikt ljudet av syrsor men lite mer knastrande kanske) ljud som kommer och går, oftast i hastigheter mellan 80-100km/h. Bor i Umeå så det är ingen större värme ännu, dock upplevde jag att ljudet var lägre när vi hade ett par dagar med temperaturer kring 15grader. SC här i Umeå har undersökt bilen och intygar att de hör ljudet. De kunde dock inte lokalisera det fullt ut. De skulle skicka ljudet för analys men de kunde inte ens garantera att de skulle få något svar alls. Ljudet är väldigt störande och jag kan absolut inte acceptera det. Vet av flera andra med samma bil som inte alls har det där ljudet.

Visst är det detta ljud som du hör?

Jag är i en liknande situation. Hämtade ut min model Y i mars. Mitt ljud stämmer in klockrent på hur de andra i tråden har beskrivit det och stämmer mot de ljudfiler som lagts in. Ett gnisslande/knastrande (inte helt olikt ljudet av syrsor men lite mer knastrande kanske) ljud som kommer och går, oftast i hastigheter mellan 80-100km/h. Bor i Umeå så det är ingen större värme ännu, dock upplevde jag att ljudet var lägre när vi hade ett par dagar med temperaturer kring 15grader. SC här i Umeå har undersökt bilen och intygar att de hör ljudet. De kunde dock inte lokalisera det fullt ut. De skulle skicka ljudet för analys men de kunde inte ens garantera att de skulle få något svar alls. Ljudet är väldigt störande och jag kan absolut inte acceptera det. Vet av flera andra med samma bil som inte alls har det där ljudet.
Maybe we should keep it in English. Shortened translation of above:
I am in a similar situation. Picked up my MY in March. The noise matches exactly how the others in the thread has described it, it occurs in speeds 80-100km/h. Lives in the northern parts of Sweden so it's still pretty cold weather, however, when we had a few days of warmer weather (approx. 15 deg. celsius) the noise was somewhat reduced. The local SC has investigated the car and confirms that they hear the sound but they could not locate / isolate the noise completely. They were going to send the sound for analysis but couldn't guarantee that they would receive an answer at all. The noise is very disturbing and can definitely not accept it. Several others I know with the same car does not have that sound at all.
Visst är det detta ljud som du hör?

Translation: It is this noise you hear, right?

Answer: Yes that is exactly what I'm hearing. Appears to be from the front left for me.

When did you have your car in for service? I.e. how long have you been waiting for a reply from the engineer?

When did you have your car in for service? I.e. how long have you been waiting for a reply from the engineer?
Got the car back a few weeks ago. They would then send the sound for analysis, which would take several months to get an answer to. But at the same time they claim that the noise is as designed. I have a hard time seeing that they would sell any cars if that noise is as designed.

Have you had the problem fixed?
I delivered the car 20.04, with the invoice from Benito and referring to this forum. I also mentioned the front drive unit, and made them a dropbox with all my videos.

It was scheduled for monday, they still have the car. Driven 100km+ since I delivered it.
New time for delivery is today, so I’m waiting for them to reach out.
Looks like they are really trying this time, hopefully fixing it.

I saw your other replies, regarding the noise and warmer weather. We have 5-15 degrees C in Oslo now, so I told the SC to do their test runs in the morning after parking the car outside.

Reactions: SWIPE
I delivered the car 20.04, with the invoice from Benito and referring to this forum. I also mentioned the front drive unit, and made them a dropbox with all my videos.

It was scheduled for monday, they still have the car. Driven 100km+ since I delivered it.
New time for delivery is today, so I’m waiting for them to reach out.
Looks like they are really trying this time, hopefully fixing it.

I saw your other replies, regarding the noise and warmer weather. We have 5-15 degrees C in Oslo now, so I told the SC to do their test runs in the morning after parking the car outside.
Thanks for your reply. Please let us know if they managed to solve the problem.