Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is this high pitched cricket like noise?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Below are the Technician Notes from my service Appt yesterday. This DID NOT solve the problem. I thought the guy was listening. He says he owns a Tesla. I heard the noise before I got to the next red light a block from the SC.
4180B0A4-8349-487A-98AC-7CB6ECF1C980.png

This is getting ridiculous.

Would all of you experiencing this issue be willing to fill out this quick survey? Microsoft Forms

Much of this information is covered in pieces through the 11 pages of this thread so far, but some details are missing for some folks. The goal is to create a running tally of those having issues, track the status, and capture any additional details that would be helpful in determining next steps if Tesla continues to refuse to address this issue. Let me know if there are any concerns with the survey or you have suggestions for other information we should gather. Thanks.

@Benito1283 @Vaelstraza @Dadaaaaaaa @Nfletcher @Lundorff @Jeffon @ElectronY @ev_go123 @rjack1282 @M3Pguru @Sladden

Done

My appointment was delayed until Dec3. The noise is still there and driving my crazy.

Would all of you experiencing this issue be willing to fill out this quick survey? Microsoft Forms

Much of this information is covered in pieces through the 11 pages of this thread so far, but some details are missing for some folks. The goal is to create a running tally of those having issues, track the status, and capture any additional details that would be helpful in determining next steps if Tesla continues to refuse to address this issue. Let me know if there are any concerns with the survey or you have suggestions for other information we should gather. Thanks.

@Benito1283 @Vaelstraza @Dadaaaaaaa @Nfletcher @Lundorff @Jeffon @ElectronY @ev_go123 @rjack1282 @M3Pguru @Sladden

Reactions: ziptbm
I’ve now done 4 drives with 3 different techs for 4 repair attempts. Each time they hear it when with me and each time they can’t hear it when I’m not there. I guarantee you I’ll hear it on the drive home from the service center.

Considering how poor Tesla’s customer service has been in my 2 months of ownership and how escalating to service center management is going absolutely nowhere, it seems like the only option at this point is to pursue lemon law protection. Yes, I could sell the vehicle, but I’m not going to accept that kind of loss due to Tesla’s inferior build quality.

@777Path please fill out the form in this post if you haven’t already. What is this high pitched cricket like noise?

tl;dr Local SC replaced my front drive unit for a “bad bearing”, same as Benito1283. However, the replacement still makes the noise, just at lower speeds.

Full story: So I took my car in last spring for this hissing noise with about 1k miles on the 2022 M3LR. The service center said they were able to replicate the concern, but it might be a result of the unit being new and requiring a break in. They recommended driving it a few thousand miles and coming back if the noise persisted. I entertained their break in idea, and once warmer temps rolled around it stopped.

Fast forward to fall and the noise, which had been completely silent all summer, came back once temps dropped below 70F. I finally got around to taking it in a few weeks ago. Shortly after dropping it off, I got a call from the SC that they couldn’t replicate the noise and asked if I could do a test drive with a tech. I agreed, and met with a nice tech, who actually seemed interested in helping. Before the drive, I played a recording of the noise on my phone to help the tech know what to listen for. I think he was surprised, as it’s a pretty strange sound.

We went for a drive, but I think the car was a bit warm or something and the noise was very faint (of course), and the tech couldn’t hear it. I told him they should let it sit outside to cool down and they should try it again. I also let him know that other people have the same issue online and that one person even had Tesla engineering get involved, with the result being the whole front drive unit being replaced due to a bad bearing. He was surprised and interested in figuring out what was going on. (Note that the service reps seem to not want to hear anything about things you heard online--they seem to immediately dismiss it, thankfully this tech didn’t).

I also told him I have a microphone on a magnet that I placed on one of the front drive unit’s screws and the noise was extremely loud, suggesting it's definitely originating from the front drive unit. I can share this recording if people are interested but basically you can hear all sorts of things, gear/inverter whine, coolant moving through the inverter, but when the hissing noise starts, it drowns out everything else, which might explain why you can hear it all the way in the cabin.

After our test drive, according to TeslaFi, it looks like they took the car for another test drive shortly after. I was away from my phone for a while, but when I checked it again, around 1 hour after their second drive, I got a request on the app to approve a new drive unit replacement. They actually also wanted to charge me for the alignment that goes with the drive unit replacement, but I got them to include that as part of the warranty, as it should be.

When I picked up the car, they told me the noise was gone and I should be all set. It wasn't. A day later I noticed the noise is still there, but the speeds it activates changed. Instead of activating at 40-75mph or so, it now is around 30-55mph and cuts out above 55. I also noticed there is more gear whine from the front motor, something that doesn't bother me much, but still doesn't exude confidence in the repair quality.

So my plan is to take it in again, in a month or so when I'm less busy. That being said, I'm not completely convinced the replacement motor will fix it; I think it might be a bit of roulette with these motors. If it really is a bad bearing, and the original motor from early 2022, and the replacement from late 2022, and people with new vehicles still have this issue, my guess is they have a lot of bad bearings out there. Maybe even most of the drive units. I also have to wonder if this will lead to a recall down the line.

Great writeup @ev_go123. Disappointing and VERY weird that your replacement had the same issue, just like my (first) replacement did. My first replacement produced the sound at a different speed range as well. Probably dependent on which bearing is bad. My second replacement has been dead silent.

In theory, they should be able to diagnose this one just like the last. And they should replace this one for the same reason they replaced the first one - whether it's defective, unsafe, whatever. Plus it's clear that the noise was caused by the motor since it's completely changed now. So I think the cards are in your favor so get this sorted out in the end. Though I'm sure there are other things you'd rather be doing with your time.

Done.

M3LR here having the exact same issue. Car was built on May 30, 2022. Took delivery in June. First I remember hearing this noise was early September and it has been more and more frequent since. Now it is pretty constant when I am driving above 75Km/hr. Went to SC twice and both times they say they cannot hear/replicate the noise. I recently feel like the noise has been increasing in volume -- does anyone know what would happen if the bearing completely gave out?

Filled in the form aswell. My sound has increased both in volume and in frequency in line with the approaching winter. It's basically constant now, and all I can do is putting spotify volume to max.

At my latest SC visit they told me they sent some sound sample to technicians for further investigation, but I'm assuming that is most likely lost somewhere, since I have not received any notifications about it.

I now also have a clicking new sound from the front fan caused by what I believe is the AC during cold weather. So, 0-55 km/h clicking sound and then at 55-100km/h, cricket sound takes over. Will create another SC ticket tomorrow to check on both sounds. If they don't fix the crickety sound this time around (it will the 5th SC where I've pointed it out) I will likely sell the car.
Shame, cause it's fantastic in every single other way, if only it would be quite as a EV is supposed to.

@ziptbm I have filled out this form as well. Thank you.

Just wanted to add I've been reading these posts and feeling more hopeful something will be done to fix this. I have only had my new 2022 M3LR for 2 months now and started to experience the same annoying noise when the outside temp started dropping. I was pretty bummed to say the least that my new car would be having an issue but a little relieved it's not just me. I'll post soon what I experience from the local SC. Thanks in the meantime for all the great info!

Just sharing with you how many times I brought my car to the SC here in Schlieren, nearby Zurich, Switzerland Reporting the high pitched noise. Every time they gave me a hard time and pretended they couldn’t hear it or when they could they would minimize the severity of it saying that the noise is normal and that the car is in perfect conditions. I’m really hoping for a recall in the following months otherwise I’ll most likely sell the car and never buy a Tesla again. Such a poor customer service.

Attachments

• 3D2FC78F-1543-4D76-B7B6-D856FC4533A3.jpeg
    3D2FC78F-1543-4D76-B7B6-D856FC4533A3.jpeg
    329.5 KB · Views: 62
About to complete the Microsoft form. Had an appt Monday at SC for a ride along but it was pouring rain and I was afraid they wouldn’t be able to hear it. Rescheduled for today. The damn thing has been squealing at me all week. Today it decides not to make the noise at all. I played 2 recordings I made of the noise for him and he heard the sound. Keeping it today to check some other things that sound like it could possibly be making that noise but I’m not holding my breath. They did tell me that if it continued after today that I could stop by on a day when it is bad and they’ll do a ride along at that time.