Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is this high pitched cricket like noise?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow, I’m really surprised how many folks are running into this.

My MYLR is still in service for the 4th time (and now 5th)? I dropped it off 10 days ago and did my 4th drive with a tech that confirmed to hear it like the previous 3 did. Service showed the issue was miraculously “resolved” two days later with notes indicating they couldn’t replicate it…I requested a management call back and left a voicemail. After 24 hours of no response to voicemail, I persistently called the service center the next day and finally spoke to a human who first wanted me to do a 5th drive with a tech (haha), but again I pushed to speak with management. Got a call back later that day and I was assured they’ll look back into it after sharing a bunch of info from this thread. Clearly the techs couldn’t have cared less about the information I have already shared.

Since then, I’ve heard or seen no updates from service other than confirmation of receiving the additional information from this thread. Tezlab showed multiple drives that day and the next, and then the expected completion was updated to tomorrow. I’m not holding my breath on it actually being fixed from what I’m seeing here, but it sounds like they’re actually doing something this time!

It’s strange they haven’t provided any updates, but I also haven’t asked. My state’s lemon law is four repair attempts for the same issue within two years of purchase, so I wonder if that connection was made after mentioning how many times I have already brought the vehicle in for this exact issue.

The current downside for me is that my other EV (Mach-e GT) is now getting more use and the superior build, fit, and finish on this vehicle is even more apparent….despite lacking the technology and battery efficiency of Tesla. We will see what happens when I get my MYLR back.

Wow, I’m really surprised how many folks are running into this.

My MYLR is still in service for the 4th time (and now 5th)? I dropped it off 10 days ago and did my 4th drive with a tech that confirmed to hear it like the previous 3 did. Service showed the issue was miraculously “resolved” two days later with notes indicating they couldn’t replicate it…I requested a management call back and left a voicemail. After 24 hours of no response to voicemail, I persistently called the service center the next day and finally spoke to a human who first wanted me to do a 5th drive with a tech (haha), but again I pushed to speak with management. Got a call back later that day and I was assured they’ll look back into it after sharing a bunch of info from this thread. Clearly the techs couldn’t have cared less about the information I have already shared.

Since then, I’ve heard or seen no updates from service other than confirmation of receiving the additional information from this thread. Tezlab showed multiple drives that day and the next, and then the expected completion was updated to tomorrow. I’m not holding my breath on it actually being fixed from what I’m seeing here, but it sounds like they’re actually doing something this time!

It’s strange they haven’t provided any updates, but I also haven’t asked. My state’s lemon law is four repair attempts for the same issue within two years of purchase, so I wonder if that connection was made after mentioning how many times I have already brought the vehicle in for this exact issue.

The current downside for me is that my other EV (Mach-e GT) is now getting more use and the superior build, fit, and finish on this vehicle is even more apparent….despite lacking the technology and battery efficiency of Tesla. We will see what happens when I get my MYLR back.
Hello everyone, I am Rafid from Ontario, Canada. Thank you for this interesting thread, I kept trying to find similar complaint to mine until I found this group.
Exactly same description of the noise. Booked an appointment with SC, went for a drive with a tech, after few attempts the tech could hear the sound. Left the car at the SC then in the evening received notification that it is ready and problem is fixed (

Hello everyone, I am Rafid from Ontario, Canada. Thank you for this interesting thread, I kept trying to find similar complaint to mine until I found this group.
Exactly same description of the noise. Booked an appointment with SC, went for a drive with a tech, after few attempts the tech could hear the sound. Left the car at the SC then in the evening received notification that it is ready and problem is fixed (
Welcome @RafidTM3

Ontario here as well. Did SC actually fix the issue for you? If you don't mind, could you share what they did to fix it and which SC did you go to? 🙏

The report was written by another tech (not the one who drove the car with me and could hear the noise), indicating that there no abnormal sound and there was a small gap in afront cowl that was fixed. However, once I drove the car it was the same exact sound. I booked another appointment early Dec BUT at another SC (it is a bit farther than the previous one) and the tech who went with me for the test drive listened very well and he said it is not that high but I am interested to investigate it. I shared with him the link to this thread and I made him listen to recording that I made and some of the ones that you guys have posted. He went in the service centre while I am sitting in the waiting area, after almost an hour he came back and he showed me an article that they had it internally for internal instructions. It describes exactly what we have with an example of an audio sounding exactly the same problem. The directions the techs are given, is to do recording of the sound with a specific device that they have to order from another service location. Then decipher and filter the sound quality, if it is confirmed to be originating from the front drive unit then they have to escalate. I really liked the professional attitude of the technician and his willing to help. Now I am waiting for their recording device to arrive and set an appointment late January or early February because I want the weather to be really cold (when the sound is loud and clear). I will keep you posted on the progress. Thanks!

This is getting ridiculous.

Would all of you experiencing this issue be willing to fill out this quick survey? Microsoft Forms

Much of this information is covered in pieces through the 11 pages of this thread so far, but some details are missing for some folks. The goal is to create a running tally of those having issues, track the status, and capture any additional details that would be helpful in determining next steps if Tesla continues to refuse to address this issue. Let me know if there are any concerns with the survey or you have suggestions for other information we should gather. Thanks.

@Benito1283 @Vaelstraza @Dadaaaaaaa @Nfletcher @Lundorff @Jeffon @ElectronY @ev_go123 @rjack1282 @M3Pguru @Sladden
Done!

Reactions: ziptbm
The report was written by another tech (not the one who drove the car with me and could hear the noise), indicating that there no abnormal sound and there was a small gap in afront cowl that was fixed. However, once I drove the car it was the same exact sound. I booked another appointment early Dec BUT at another SC (it is a bit farther than the previous one) and the tech who went with me for the test drive listened very well and he said it is not that high but I am interested to investigate it. I shared with him the link to this thread and I made him listen to recording that I made and some of the ones that you guys have posted. He went in the service centre while I am sitting in the waiting area, after almost an hour he came back and he showed me an article that they had it internally for internal instructions. It describes exactly what we have with an example of an audio sounding exactly the same problem. The directions the techs are given, is to do recording of the sound with a specific device that they have to order from another service location. Then decipher and filter the sound quality, if it is confirmed to be originating from the front drive unit then they have to escalate. I really liked the professional attitude of the technician and his willing to help. Now I am waiting for their recording device to arrive and set an appointment late January or early February because I want the weather to be really cold (when the sound is loud and clear). I will keep you posted on the progress. Thanks!
Oh that's very interesting. I wonder if that specific device is a ChassisEar, basically a fancy version of my microphone on a magnet that acts almost like a stethoscope for a car engine. Regardless, I wonder if you could ask them for the number of that internal article to share with everyone here. I think that would immensely help focus the service centers that seem to have no clue what's going on.

Back from my 3rd appointment this morning at the SC. Tech did not hear the noise even though I could hear it. SC told me that since this was my 3rd time in and they couldn't replicate the issue, if I come another time for the same issue I will be charged $210 service fee. I was told to keep driving the car until the noise is constant at all speeds and notably louder.

Back from my 3rd appointment this morning at the SC. Tech did not hear the noise even though I could hear it. SC told me that since this was my 3rd time in and they couldn't replicate the issue, if I come another time for the same issue I will be charged $210 service fee. I was told to keep driving the car until the noise is constant at all speeds and notably louder.
Which SC did you go to? I went to VAUGHAN in Canada Ontario - First guy barely heard it, did nothing. Second guy didn't hear it at all even though it was loud and clear. Super annoying

Which SC did you go to? I went to VAUGHAN in Canada Ontario - First guy barely heard it, did nothing. Second guy didn't hear it at all even though it was loud and clear. Super annoying
North York SC. I am really frustrated tbh. Being told that if I "keep coming back" for the same issue, I will be charged a fine -- that's not great customer service. Tech implied that I might be hearing noises because I "may be driving recklessly", which makes no sense at all. It is frustrating

I finally got my car back after 11 days in service for the 4th time (or 6th depending on how you count it) and the noise appears to be gone from my first hour of driving. After escalating with the service manager, they finally did extended inspection, which appears to have been nearly a dozen drives and lifting the vehicle to drive it at 40-50mph in the service center to record and document the noise. Here are the notes from my invoice:

“Verified customer complaint. Can hear a cricket/chirping noise at around 40-50 MPH at a steady speed. drove vehicle on hoist to isolate source of noise. Noise coming from front drive unit. Could be heard with vehicle coasting with regen turned off and accelerator pedal not pressed. Removed and replaced front drive unit. Verified proper operation after repair. Noise not present after drive unit replacement.”

Fingers crossed this doesn’t return and hopefully is helpful for others to get this fixed in their vehicles.

I’ve recently started to hear this sound. August 2022 build. Roughly 5k miles. First month I’d hear it at exactly 74mph, not a mph above or below. Now it ranges from high 50’s to high 70’s. So is this something that will progressively get worse and worse or louder? It’s bearable for now but anything louder may drive me crazy.

I’ve recently started to hear this sound. August 2022 build. Roughly 5k miles. First month I’d hear it at exactly 74mph, not a mph above or below. Now it ranges from high 50’s to high 70’s. So is this something that will progressively get worse and worse or louder? It’s bearable for now but anything louder may drive me crazy.
My experience...is that I think it gets better over time. I heard it a lot last winter, and a little bit coming into the fall, but its been nearly gone this winter.

Reactions: rolling green
Update on my 1st SC visit.

Even before going on a test drive with the tech, they were telling me electric cars make lots of odd noises blah blah blah. I told them I’m aware of the different noises electric cars make and that this noise is different and does not sound normal. Anyways we go on a drive and i mention to the tech about other people having this issue and played the sounds clips posted in this thread. During the drive he tries to recreate the sounds and even though I can here it, he does not(frustrating). all he is listening to is the normal accelerating whine and keeps telling me it’s normal. They were very dismissive of anything found online(this thread) because they are “experts with years of experience”

Anyways they said keep an eye on it. they can’t just replace a drive unit just because.

Sigh

Same issue, 2023 Model Y Performance. I can’t unhear it when I’m driving and after reading this thread it’s going to be bug me even more.

Dreading going into the SC for any issue like this, history tells me I’m going to get into some back and forth.

Haven’t recorded it myself but same thing I’ve read throughout the thread, for me I can definitely say it’s coming from the front drivers side of the car. Always sounded like brakes or some sort of bad bearing to me.

I ruled out the brakes because applying them didn’t make the noise go away.

I feel like it is a front unit issue, the problem with being “informed” as that you come off like an asshole and no one wants to help you when you’re pointing right at the problem.

I finally got my car back after 11 days in service for the 4th time (or 6th depending on how you count it) and the noise appears to be gone from my first hour of driving. After escalating with the service manager, they finally did extended inspection, which appears to have been nearly a dozen drives and lifting the vehicle to drive it at 40-50mph in the service center to record and document the noise. Here are the notes from my invoice:

“Verified customer complaint. Can hear a cricket/chirping noise at around 40-50 MPH at a steady speed. drove vehicle on hoist to isolate source of noise. Noise coming from front drive unit. Could be heard with vehicle coasting with regen turned off and accelerator pedal not pressed. Removed and replaced front drive unit. Verified proper operation after repair. Noise not present after drive unit replacement.”

Fingers crossed this doesn’t return and hopefully is helpful for others to get this fixed in their vehicles.

Quick update on this - after a week, the noise has returned but is now louder at lower speeds. It's not as persistent as it was with the previous front drive unit, but I'm now convinced there is a larger problem here in these models. I have no desire to have it back in the shop again for this same issue, so hopefully they decide to do the right thing and buy this thing back.

Hope others have better luck than I have so far!

Quick update on this - after a week, the noise has returned but is now louder at lower speeds. It's not as persistent as it was with the previous front drive unit, but I'm now convinced there is a larger problem here in these models. I have no desire to have it back in the shop again for this same issue, so hopefully they decide to do the right thing and buy this thing back.

Hope others have better luck than I have so far!
Really sorry to hear this. Very disappointing. Very very strange too. It's like it takes two motor replacements to fix it, based on another guy's and mine. Might be worth reporting this back to your SC just to see what they say. If they offer to replace it again, it might be worth the trouble just to see if it solves it. But I don't blame you a bit if you're just done.

Reactions: Happy Hippo