TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

What is this orange dotted line on the charge indicator/speedometer?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by SMCModelSFan, Mar 16, 2013.

1. SMCModelSFan

SMCModelSFan Member

Hi,
    We are on our way from SF to LA and just supercharged to 270 at Gilroy. We had expected to get up to 290, but the charge rate dropped down to 18 mph, so we decided to continue on our way. As soon as we started driving, we noticed this orange dotted line, seeming to indicate that regen braking would not be able to contribute charge? Has anyone seen this before?
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21363449668.009116.jpg

2. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

This is normal. After doing a range charge, the regen will be limited for a while until enough room is in the pack to put the power that would be collected from regen (at least how I understand it to work). The 270 is also probably a full charge if you have rated range displayed (265 EPA miles).

3. ken830

ken830 Model S (Res#P12,447)

Yeah. Totally normal. The fact that you noticed the Supercharger slowing down means that the battery pack is nearly full and can not be charged quickly. Regenerative braking is therefore also limited to this lower charge rate. Which is the line you see.

4. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

5. ToddRLockwood

ToddRLockwood Active Member

Yes, since the charge rate tapers down as the battery approaches 100%, it is more efficient—when on a trip using Superchargers—to limit your charge to 80-85%. You'll wait a lot longer for that last 10%.

6. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

I believe something similar happens if left your car unplugged in extreme temperatures, your regen is limited until the battery is brought to optimal temperature. This is why it's a good idea to precondition the vehicle in extreme cold and heat prior to driving it away.

7. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

We call that "normal" temperatures for 6 months of the year in these parts :wink:

8. towman26

towman26 Member

What's this line

Every time I charge the car to 100% I get the yellow hash marked line just above the 30 kW, what is it and what does it mean?? Also at a full charge I can never get more than 209, why?

Attached Files:

9. Tommy

Tommy Member

The dashed line indicates your regen is limited; this is due to the battery being fully charged. Once you have driven a few miles the battery is able to accept charge from the regen and the line will disappear. Regarding your second question, I suspect you have the 60kWh battery and 209 miles is all the battery can be charged to.

10. mcornwell

mcornwell Active Member

The dashed line can also be because the battery isn't up to ideal temperature, so it limits the amount of regen for a few minutes of driving.

11. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

12. islandbayy

islandbayy Active Member

Original firmware has the dash displaying all the way up to the most powerful cars maximum, 320. Starting in firmware 4.5, the dash will read only what the maximum kWh for your specific car will be.

13. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

And note that this is a "UI maximum". We have data showing that 85s can exceed 320 and 60s can exceed 240, for at least brief periods.