Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is this plug called?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you again! This adapter was via eBay here it seems to be one of a few providers…

I myself would choose the adapter from EVSE Adapters of Exeter, California, USA. This one. Why?
  • Geographic bias. (I admit it.)
  • Their website is straightforward; prices are out front.
  • I’m sure you could contact them and confirm whether their European adapter (Type 2-to-TPC) is good for New Zealand and Japanese car before you buy. It should be, but good to check.
  • Quality product. Ask about warranty.
Why not use eBay item? (Same as this one?)
  • Ukraine is or may soon be at war. Potential shipping delays?
  • I think the eBay adapter is one from the second website I included in my earlier post. I am just not comfortable with that one.
However, I do acknowledge that the EVSE Adapters product is expensive. Sorry about that. But I think you would have a better chance of long-term success with that, based solely on the websites.

This is where someone with actual experience (in New Zealand or even Australia) could help.

Caveat: I have no relationship with or financial interest in either of those Type 2-to-TPC adapter companies. (And no hands-on experience with the products.)

EVSEAdapters (your second link) is a fantastic company and has been selling great charging products for Teslas for many years. I've bought several adapters from them. So while they may be expensive, you will find a lot of support for them from others here on this forum as to their quality and the company's reliability.

This (above) is a recommendation for EVSE Adapters I just received on another thread. Expensive but good quality, I believe. Check with that knowledeable TMC member about EVSE.

If you were comparing, Oh I don't know, say floor mats or interior lights, I would say get the one that looks best or the cheapest. But this is about sending high voltage into your precious car. Think about it.

...Has any one got thoughts on this adapter ...

There are people in NZ with those adapters, and yes, they work. They have the unfortunate side effect of being labelled a 'suicide adapter' for a reasson though.
They skip on the locking mechanism that forces the charge current to drop to 0A before the connector can be disconnected. Meaning someone (even yourself) could unplug the connector while its charging, and that could cause the connections to arc. Arcing connections get hot, and like to weld themselves together... So if you yank the cable ut mid charge (or trip over it, or some idiot unplugs you so he can charge faster next door) then you could permanently weld the tesla supercharger to your car, which would be an awkward and expensive call to Tesla. It could also go bad in different ways, like it arcing to the body, or your body or whatever.
Truthfully, it's unlikely.... but it's most definitely possible! plus it's $1500 for the adapter... and then you still can't use the Chargenet chargers, so you need a $1500 Chademo one too.... and at this point, you're 1/2 way to getting a real Type 2 socket fitted that has a proper safety locking system, as well as being able to get a CCS kit too for the latest superchargers without the Type 2 lead, and just the CCS one... plus you can use the Hyperchargers from Chargenet then too with a CCS conversion, which opens up some possibilities!

There are people in NZ with those adapters, and yes, they work. They have the unfortunate side effect of being labelled a 'suicide adapter' for a reasson though.

Scary.

So sticking to just a Tesla-made adapter would eliminate that (faint) possibility though, right? So in this case of a TPC-port car (from Japan) in CCS2/Type 2 area (New Zealand), that would mean only a Tesla CHAdeMO adapter with TPC plug (from South Korea, Japan, Canada, or USA), correct? (No Tesla-made CCS2-to-TPC or Type 2-to-TPC adapters, correct?) Have to skip the Superchargers, I guess. Too bad.

They skip on the locking mechanism that forces the charge current to drop to 0A before the connector can be disconnected. Meaning someone (even yourself) could unplug the connector while its charging, and that could cause the connections to arc. Arcing connections get hot, and like to weld themselves together... So if you yank the cable ut mid charge (or trip over it, or some idiot unplugs you so he can charge faster next door) then you could permanently weld the tesla supercharger to your car, which would be an awkward and expensive call to Tesla. It could also go bad in different ways, like it arcing to the body, or your body or whatever.
Truthfully, it's unlikely.... but it's most definitely possible! plus it's $1500 for the adapter... and then you still can't use the Chargenet chargers, so you need a $1500 Chademo one too.... and at this point, you're 1/2 way to getting a real Type 2 socket fitted that has a proper safety locking system, as well as being able to get a CCS kit too for the latest superchargers without the Type 2 lead, and just the CCS one... plus you can use the Hyperchargers from Chargenet then too with a CCS conversion, which opens up some possibilities!
Yep...that's why I think the WoF & certification system needs to be updated to include charge port compatibility to avoid the need for these dangerous adapters.

(February 2022) Update on after-market (3rd-party) European Type 2 to North American TPC adapters (adding one that I missed previously). These adapters theoretically may allow a car from South Korea, Japan, or North America (with TPC port) to use Superchargers (w/Type 2 plugs) and possibly CHAdeMO charging stations in Europe, Oceania, and selected areas of Pacific coastal Asia.
  1. EVSE Adapters - $777 (USD) - Company is located in California, USA

(a) Rated for up to 150 KW.
    (b) Free worldwide economy shipping.
    (c) For Supercharging only.
    (d) One reviewer says it can be used with CHAdeMO adapter with Type 2 plug.
    (e) 3-year warranty.
    (f) Warehouses located in the United States and China.

2. Tesla Adapter $? - Company is probably located in eastern Europe (must sign in with legitimate email address and "order" to see price)

(a) Can be used with CHAdeMO adapter (with Type 2 plug)
    (b) Can be used in Australia (and presumably New Zealand)
    (c) Intended for V2 Superchargers (with Type 2 plug)
    (d) Can not be used at AC charging stations or with home AC charging equipment
    (e) Claimed 10-year warranty
    (f) Built-in 100 ℃ thermal fuse
    (g) Anti-oxidation coating on contacts

3. EVHub Adapters - $499 (USD) - Company is located in Ukraine

(a) Two adapters: Type 2 (Mennekes) and Type 2 (non-standard) (distinction somewhat confusing)
    - Type 2 (Mennekes) lacks two pins, slower DC charging, can also use Type 2 socket(?)
    - Type 2 (non-standard) has all pins, all power available at Superchargers only
    (b) Intended only for Superchargers (with Type 2 plug)
    (c) Shipping is extra
    (d) Also offer CCS2-to-TPC 400A, 160KW adapter ($525 USD)

4. Various eBay Type 2-to-TPC adapters - Prices vary - sources vary

(a) Based solely on photos most of these items may be the same as Products #2 and #3 above.
    (b) Prices as low as $460 (shipped from Ukraine) to $950 (shipped from Los Angeles)
    (c) Due to possible hefty markup and lack of any long-term guarantee, use caution.
These are all non-Tesla devices. They probably lack any circuitry (commonly found in Tesla charging devices) intended to communicate with the car, and to protect the car and user in the event of sudden disconnection. See Post #44, above. For this and other reasons I recommend caution purchasing and using these devices. Contact the providers and ask questions.

Although it would be expensive (to buy two adapters), one advantage (of at least some of these adapters) is that apparently they can be used in tandem with a Tesla CHAdeMO adapter with Type 2 plug (sold new or used in Oceania), which may be much easier to procure than the TPC variety (from Japan or North America). But, for reasons of safety (to you and your car) I would still try to stay solely with Tesla adapters. For DC charging of a Japanese car in New Zealand that means just the Tesla CHAdeMO adapter with TPC plug (from Japan, South Korea, or North America), correct?

Last edited:
Reactions: Jansy123
I’ve been researching this topic as I’m military heading to Europe for my next duty station. I have a 2015 Model S P85D with free supercharging. There’s a Tesla military Facebook group in Germany that are using the Type 2 to TPC adapters for the past couple of years. They seem to haven’t had any issues (most Tesla models have been used with adapters successfully). Their experience drove my decision to buy my Model S a couple days ago.

I’ve been researching this topic as I’m military heading to Europe for my next duty station. I have a 2015 Model S P85D with free supercharging. There’s a Tesla military Facebook group in Germany that are using the Type 2 to TPC adapters for the past couple of years. They seem to haven’t had any issues (most Tesla models have been used with adapters successfully). Their experience drove my decision to buy my Model S a couple days ago.
USA army in Germany using our adapters, not only type2 btw.
There are several revisions of CCS2 including first samples, which toasted ECU...errors made... errors fixed adapters replaced... Smells like toasted 🐷🐖

(February 2022) Update on after-market (3rd-party) European Type 2 to North American TPC adapters (adding one that I missed previously). These adapters theoretically may allow a car from South Korea, Japan, or North America (with TPC port) to use Superchargers (w/Type 2 plugs) and possibly CHAdeMO charging stations in Europe, Oceania, and selected areas of Pacific coastal Asia.
  1. EVSE Adapters - $777 (USD) - Company is located in California, USA

(a) Rated for up to 150 KW.
    (b) Free worldwide economy shipping.
    (c) For Supercharging only.
    (d) One reviewer says it can be used with CHAdeMO adapter with Type 2 plug.
    (e) 3-year warranty.
    (f) Warehouses located in the United States and China.

2. Tesla Adapter $? - Company is probably located in eastern Europe (must sign in with legitimate email address and "order" to see price)

(a) Can be used with CHAdeMO adapter (with Type 2 plug)
    (b) Can be used in Australia (and presumably New Zealand)
    (c) Intended for V2 Superchargers (with Type 2 plug)
    (d) Can not be used at AC charging stations or with home AC charging equipment
    (e) Claimed 10-year warranty
    (f) Built-in 100 ℃ thermal fuse
    (g) Anti-oxidation coating on contacts

3. EVHub Adapters - $499 (USD) - Company is located in Ukraine

(a) Two adapters: Type 2 (Mennekes) and Type 2 (non-standard) (distinction somewhat confusing)
    - Type 2 (Mennekes) lacks two pins, slower DC charging, can also use Type 2 socket(?)
    - Type 2 (non-standard) has all pins, all power available at Superchargers only
    (b) Intended only for Superchargers (with Type 2 plug)
    (c) Shipping is extra
    (d) Also offer CCS2-to-TPC 400A, 160KW adapter ($525 USD)

4. Various eBay Type 2-to-TPC adapters - Prices vary - sources vary

(a) Based solely on photos most of these items may be the same as Products #2 and #3 above.
    (b) Prices as low as $460 (shipped from Ukraine) to $950 (shipped from Los Angeles)
    (c) Due to possible hefty markup and lack of any long-term guarantee, use caution.
These are all non-Tesla devices. They probably lack any circuitry (commonly found in Tesla charging devices) intended to communicate with the car, and to protect the car and user in the event of sudden disconnection. See Post #44, above. For this and other reasons I recommend caution purchasing and using these devices. Contact the providers and ask questions.

Although it would be expensive (to buy two adapters), one advantage (of at least some of these adapters) is that apparently they can be used in tandem with a Tesla CHAdeMO adapter with Type 2 plug (sold new or used in Oceania), which may be much easier to procure than the TPC variety (from Japan or North America). But, for reasons of safety (to you and your car) I would still try to stay solely with Tesla adapters. For DC charging of a Japanese car in New Zealand that means just the Tesla CHAdeMO adapter with TPC plug (from Japan, South Korea, or North America), correct?
Evsedaptets
Ordered all 3 manufacturers actually.

1. Another company. melted and stuck in car, so car fail switch to drive.

IMG_20220314_011738_613.jpgIMG_20220314_011741_106.jpgIMG_20220314_011817_269.jpg

We was partners at beginning of our relationship. But then John decided to get cheaper samples, I even replaced one, which was not made by me))
Currently made near Poltava/Kharkiv didn't evolved last 3 years. Melting at 30C and 150kW SuC rate.

Tesla adapter ( also evsedaptets had several samples)
Unserviceable, low amps, high heat "cover".
I don't know why, but those are copper (mostly) covered by tin, which make then hotter, then it should be.

IMG_20220314_004645_717.jpgIMG_20220314_004656_790.jpgIMG_20220314_004641_577.jpgIMG_20220314_004635_670.jpg

Made in Kyiv

IMG_20220314_004011_528.jpgIMG_20220314_004006_551.jpg

... To be continued 🤣

Attachments

• IMG_20220314_004015_572.jpg
    IMG_20220314_004015_572.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 54
  • Informative
Reactions: tps5352
Third one as you can imagine was evhub's ...
Crack
20210531_115521.jpg

Destroyed at transfer

IMG_20220314_012701_179.jpg

And ECU grilled ccs2 early spec... nothing to show...
Screenshot_2022-03-14-01-31-41-390_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpgScreenshot_2022-03-14-01-32-08-431_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg
Issue was related to close signal wires near high voltage pins...and badly isolated

Setec
Bad battery, weak schematic, low power limits, fail at upgrade
IMG_20220314_013521_223.jpg

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: wlee and tps5352
And for sure our ccs1 adapter fail with saved/absent pin, but that's already different story @rhuber @kilpatds and few other

Shelling of Kyiv is bit over hopefully , and it's already 2am) will try to sleep.
Hopefully you enjoyed)
IMG_20220314_015401_928.jpg

Here is difference between first ccs1 sample and latest
IMG-20220125-WA0006.jpg

Funny thing they both had signal pins 😂why pin was removed...don't even ask
IMG-20220125-WA0009.jpg

Pfff Why God sent such neighborhood?
Google made air alarm notification
Screenshot_2022-03-14-02-17-47-063_com.miui.home.jpg

Last edited:
I know it was mentioned by @tps5352 (Thank you) but I looked at Buy USA Tesla adapter for Europe supercharger it seems like such a specific site to created for that one purpose of advertising that adapter. Even a video of the product and videos of it being used. However if you click 'order now' it simply collects your details and nothing happens. Not that I was planning to buy it, but was interested in the progress and price.

Seems a lot of effort creating this site to only collect the fake email I entered. Anyway, the style of the adapter looked a bit different to others so I was curious at the least.

As an update to my own situation:
Still considering a local conversion to type-2 as offered by @Ned@DriveEV however I need to save up a few $$ to afford it 😀

I also continue to look for Tesla proprietary plug to Chademo adapters but these seem like they are becoming collectors items/hard to find

I was hopeful for a CCS2 adapter but the pictures above make it seem like these are in a R&D/prototype phase so might need some more development.

The realities for me are still that my at home 16amp commando plug is perfectly fine for every day use.

Did a 350km return trip a week ago and simply plugged in again at night.

So the 'fast charge' option is more of a convenience as opposed to a constant need for me.

All of this seems like 'who cares' in the current global climate,l but I thought I would give an update. Once again wishing @AlexUA and all other Ukrainian friends safety and strength.

Reactions: wlee
...if you click 'order now' it simply collects your details and nothing happens. Not that I was planning to buy it, but was interested in the progress and price.

Agreed. If you supply a phony email address, which is what I also tried, it won't work because the company('s software) will next email that address to proceed (or somehow detect that the address is phony).

So it does not necessarily mean that they are collecting addresses for nefarious reasons. I suppose they could be. I don't know. I want to assume that they are just being security conscious. But nonetheless, not being upfront about price is an alarm bell and a likely deal-breaker for me with any product or company.

...I also continue to look for Tesla proprietary plug to Chademo adapters but these seem like they are becoming collectors items/hard to find...

There was a San Francisco Craig's List ad for a CHAdeMO adapter for sale for $350 (USD). I think it sold, but there is one for $550 which is still a pretty good price (compared to eBay). But shipping from the USA to New Zealand might be pretty be expensive. Your best bet might be to find a TMC person living in Japan or South Korea who would buy (a new or used) one for you and ship it to NZ.

...So the 'fast charge' option is more of a convenience as opposed to a constant need for me...

From the standpoint of safety (to your car and you) the best DC adapter charging option may still be CHAdeMO. But CHAdeMO is not generally as fast and reliable as Supercharging. As long as the car is staying permanently in NZ, converting to Type 2 standard sounds like it would be great (e.g., for resale value and your convenience), but only if (a) it is affordable, (b) doesn't mess up any existing Tesla software or hardware, and (c) has the blessing of Tesla (so no warranty or future repair issues). (I forget if this modification is to be provided by Tesla or by a third-party business.)

If you can exist without Supercharging and other DC charging, great, but I understand the desire to have access to on-the-road- charging.

I also continue to look for Tesla proprietary plug to Chademo adapters but these seem like they are becoming collectors items/hard to find
Once the CCS1 adapter finally becomes official in the US along with the retrofit, I imagine a lot of current Chademo adapter owners will be wanting to get rid of it in favour of the CCS1 adapter. So you might find a good source of them shortly