Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is this plug called?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Once the CCS1 adapter finally becomes official in the US along with the retrofit, I imagine a lot of current Chademo adapter owners will be wanting to get rid of it in favour of the CCS1 adapter. So you might find a good source of them shortly

Speaking as one of those USA drivers, I have to agree. I suspect that the majority of Tesla CHAdeMO adapters in the USA were little used. Most were probably purchased to combat (ultimately unfounded) "range anxiety." CHAdeMO charging stations will continue to be used by older Nissan Leaf and Mitsubishi PHEV cars. But that use will gradually decline through attrition, I imagine. And most Tesla drivers desiring a backup DC on-the-road charging source (in lieu of Supercharging) will probably switch to CCS1, provided the adapter is affordable and Tesla maintains an ample stock of adapters and parts for CCS compatibility upgrades of the older cars. Meanwhile, the (hopefully soon-to-be superfluous) North American CHAdeMO adapters should work for cars with Tesla proprietary charging ports in Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, and anywhere TPC cars have been imported (like New Zealand).

Make friends with a North American Tesla driver today! Wool sweaters, tours of LotR sets, and tuataras make attractive Christmas gifts.

Tuatara - 1.jpg

I think the US supercharger network grew faster and more useful than people expected so no real need for chademo for a lot of areas

That's right. In the years leading up to me finally buying my car (in 2021) I saw no SCs close by, so I picked up a CHAdeMO adapter, just to be safe. (There was a ChdM station 3 miles away.) Then seemingly out of nowhere, bam! Tesla installed a bunch of SCs just a mile away (and right next to my daily gym) and more next to the Costco I use. (Too bad referrals went away.)

Are there any chargers in NZ that have this type available as standard? Or are adaptors needed Thank you

Did you ever get some sort of a DC adapter to help you charge quickly while on the road in New Zealand? Or did you perhaps have your car's charge port converted to CCS2?

If not, here is an update.

Recall that Korean Tesla cars use the same charging-port as in Japan and North America (so like your car). A number of us in North America have started ordering the Tesla-Korea DC-power CCS1 charging adapter using Korean shopping services, for example Harumio. Now that particular Tesla adapter won't help you--CCS1 stations aren't found in New Zealand (afaik). BUT I just learned from Harumio staff by TMC message that they plan to list other Tesla-Korea adapters and chargers. I haven't seen their list yet, but Tesla-Korea sells the CHAdeMO adapter that will fit your car's charge port.

The CHAdeMO adapter from Tesla-Korea is ₩445,000 (=$535.80[NZ]). Not cheap, but less expensive than inflated eBay prices. And you'd be getting it brand new, from Tesla (in Korea). If this interests you, and you have more questions, check with Harumio on TMC or via their website. (This link now shows the CHAdeMO adapter in addition to the CCS1 adapter you can't use.) And there are a growing number of posts on TMC about the Tesla-Korea adapter shopping experience (use the "Search" function here at TMC). I have not heard of any problems so far.

All this means that you might eventually be able to order a new CHAdeMO adapter (or other Tesla charging accessory) from Tesla-Korea and have it shipped directly to New Zealand. CHAdeMO adapters are not cheap, and CHAdeMO charging equipment is not as powerful and quick as CCS2 stations used in New Zealand. But at least it would provide a means to charge more quickly (than by AC equipment) when traveling. And you would not have to pay the wildly inflated prices on eBay or modify your car's charge port. Plus you could have a genuine, safe DC-power Tesla adapter meant for your car.

And that brings up another option. In the coming months, once more and more North American Tesla drivers purchase Korean CCS1 adapters, they may find that they have little or no use for their (slower) CHAdeMO adapters. (CHAdeMO appears to be dying as a charging standard in North America.) I fully expect to see CHAdeMO prices in the US and Canada fall accordingly. So that might make buying and shipping a used CHAdeMO adapter (and many people never even use their adapters--so they are virtually new) from North America affordable. Something to consider if you are on a budget.

Last edited:
Did you ever get some sort of a DC adapter to help you charge quickly while on the road in New Zealand? Or did you perhaps have your car's charge port converted to CCS2?

If not, here is an update.

Recall that Korean Tesla cars use the same charging-port as in Japan and North America (so like your car). A number of us in North America have started ordering the Tesla-Korea DC-power CCS1 charging adapter using Korean shopping services, for example Harumio. Now that particular Tesla adapter won't help you--CCS1 stations aren't found in New Zealand (afaik). BUT I just learned from Harumio staff by TMC message that they plan to list other Tesla-Korea adapters and chargers. I haven't seen their list yet, but Tesla-Korea sells the CHAdeMO adapter that will fit your car's charge port.

The CHAdeMO adapter from Tesla-Korea is ₩445,000 (=$535.80[NZ]). Not cheap, but less expensive than inflated eBay prices. And you'd be getting it brand new, from Tesla (in Korea). If this interests you, and you have more questions, check with Harumio on TMC or via their website. (This link now shows the CHAdeMO adapter in addition to the CCS1 adapter you can't use.) And there are a growing number of posts on TMC about the Tesla-Korea adapter shopping experience (use the "Search" function here at TMC). I have not heard of any problems so far.

All this means that you might eventually be able to order a new CHAdeMO adapter (or other Tesla charging accessory) from Tesla-Korea and have it shipped directly to New Zealand. CHAdeMO adapters are not cheap, and CHAdeMO charging equipment is not as powerful and quick as CCS2 stations used in New Zealand. But at least it would provide a means to charge more quickly (than by AC equipment) when traveling. And you would not have to pay the wildly inflated prices on eBay or modify your car's charge port. Plus you could have a genuine, safe DC-power Tesla adapter meant for your car.

And that brings up another option. In the coming months, once more and more North American Tesla drivers purchase Korean CCS1 adapters, they may find that they have little or no use for their (slower) CHAdeMO adapters. (CHAdeMO appears to be dying as a charging standard in North America.) I fully expect to see CHAdeMO prices in the US and Canada fall accordingly. So that might make buying and shipping a used CHAdeMO adapter (and many people never even use their adapters--so they are virtually new) from North America affordable. Something to consider if you are on a budget.
Wow great info! Ty

Wow great info! Ty
Ok so I've been in touch with Harumio, all seems great! BUT they want/need my Tesla account login and password so they can order it on my account.

All my years of operating online have always steered well clear of handing out my password to a stranger.

Especially one that controls my car!

So I'm a quite torn.. prices are very good but the process makes me nervous.

• Love
Reactions: Audietron and wlee
Ok so I've been in touch with Harumio, all seems great! BUT they want/need my Tesla account login and password so they can order it on my account.

All my years of operating online have always steered well clear of handing out my password to a stranger.

Especially one that controls my car!

So I'm a quite torn.. prices are very good but the process makes me nervous.

So you are going to buy a CHAdeMO adapter (with correct TPC plug) from them? OK.

Yes, I know the feeling. And others on TMC have commented on this, too. But I think, and this is my personal opinion, that all is well with the Harumio process. Sorry, I can't guarantee that--no one can. But Harumio asks for this information from everyone. They are not using your money to actually buy the adapter. As I understand it, they just need access into the Tesla system. (Tesla needs to know that various products are going to registered owners.) You can prevent future access to your account later, I believe.

If it is any consolation, many other TMC'ers, including me, have provided our account ID and password to Harumio without problems. (The really courageous ones were the people who did it first--the trailblazers. Before the use of personal shoppers and shopping businesses like Harumio, people had to use friends and relatives who lived in Korea.) I used PayPal to pay Harumio, so they can't get access to my money that way. And I plan to change my Tesla password after the process is complete. (Which is something I should be doing regularly anyway.) Some people change it before providing to Harumio, then change it back after. (That doesn't really make sense to me.) Some have created a second Tesla account (not sure how) and used that.

Ultimately, when dealing on the Internet, at some point it just comes down to trust. Harumio seems very professional. No problems reported so far. I am not operating on their behalf--not receiving any compensation of any kind. Just reporting as it is so far. Here is some information that may help:
  • List of CCS1 Adapter-related Threads
    • The CCS1 adapter parts are not what you care about. Instead, look at posts related to "Harumio."
  • Get to know how to use the "search" feature on the TMC forum site. It's really helpful. Search for "Harumio" everywhere, or in specific threads and forums.
  • Here's the latest information about my ordering experience with Harumio.
  • The only difference is that you are ordering a different product and are located in New Zealand, Otherwise the process for you should be the same as that for all of us in Canada and the US.
See what you think after reviewing some of this information. Contact others who have completed the process.

Remember, you can always choose to wait. Like I said, I believe prices on (used) CHAdeMO adapters are going to drop significantly as soon as the CCS1 adapter officially becomes available in North America (maybe as early as 2022). Most (not all) drivers in North America don't even use their CHAdeMO adapters, or will use a CCS1 adapter, much if at all. You, on the other hand, are in a unique position (driving a car with one charging standard in a country with another charging standard). So a genuine Tesla DC adapter will be nice to have. I'm just sorry it can't be for a Supercharger or for a CCS2 station, which would be faster and more readily available, I guess.

It is also interesting that last time I looked the prices for CHAdeMO adapters (with the Type 2 plug that you can't use) in Britain and Europe had come down drastically. So maybe eventually in Korea?

Oh, and another thing, prices on Tesla US charging equipment just dropped. How does this help you (since Tesla here no longer offers the CHAdeMO adapter)?
  • Maybe not at all.
  • But this lowering of prices may perhaps be duplicated in other countries (like New Zealand or Korea)?
  • Perhaps you could use other US equipment (which has the same TPC connection-plugs as your car needs)? (Not sure about this, since I don't know New Zealand electrical stuff.) The question then becomes about shipping (from the US to NZ).
By the way, did you ever check with a Tesla Service Center to see if they could/would order charging equipment for you from Japan, North America, or Korea?

Last edited:
I wonder if you could do it yourself using a a VPN based out of Korea, and then using your own account to order from the Tesla Korea website and having them ship your item to a shipping forwarder like this one.

I can't really say. In the list of CCS1-related threads I offered in Post #67, above, there are people who tried all kinds of things. Harumio has proven to work well, but it is not the cheapest. I think that people who tried to order Tesla products themselves (and have it delivered to a Korea address) ran into problems--Tesla cancelling the order?

But using an actual Korean shopping business (as you suggest) seems to be a good option, but whatever works. I benefited from the experience of others.

I can't really say. In the list of CCS1-related threads I offered in Post #67, above, there are people who tried all kinds of things. Harumio has proven to work well, but it is not the cheapest. I think that people who tried to order Tesla products themselves (and have it delivered to a Korea address) ran into problems--Tesla cancelling the order?

But using an actual Korean shopping business (as you suggest) seems to be a good option, but whatever works. I benefited from the experience of others.

About two months ago, I tried to order it on Tesla website and ship it to the forwarder. Tesla eventually cancelled my order without any reason. Seems Hamiruo is a better option if you are willing to give them your login account.

• Helpful
Reactions: tps5352
I wonder if you could do it yourself using a a VPN based out of Korea, and then using your own account to order from the Tesla Korea website and having them ship your item to a shipping forwarder like this one.
or use human service like fiveer and appoint someone in Korea to create new account, buy using their account and send it to you for a fee... nothing there for anyone to detect as it's not proxy connection or VPN - it's genuine buyer secretly being proxy...

Ok so I've been in touch with Harumio...

...No problems reported so far...

Just wanted to report that I received my Tesla CCS1 adapter from Harumio on the originally scheduled day (May 4, 2022). Delivery took 12 days from purchase date to doorstep. Some other North Americans are claiming quicker shipments--only 6-7 days! (That seems hard to believe.)

I suspect that shipping a CHAdeMO adapter to New Zealand should operate in the same way. (However, the CHAdeMO package is larger.)

Reactions: Ecoli and wlee
Chademo adapter…

For a handy case to protect your new adapter in the trunk, consider a small-gun nylon case (e.g., on Amazon). I think about 32-34-inches? long (84cm?). There are some posts about this on TMC if you use “Search” function. I got one for about $20(US). The CHAdeMO adapter is relatively big and unwieldy and it can be otherwise hard to find a case that fits it.

*****​
- Original TMC "gun-case" post

- Post by me about small gun-cases in rival Tesla forum site. (Hey, sorry! I was new to the whole Tesla thing.)

- Some current Amazon cases:

Last edited:
Reactions: Jansy123
07/19/2022 Update: For those folks still using a Tesla CHAdeMO adapter, I recently discovered that there is now a CHAdeMO adapter storage case offered by Harumio. Meanwhile the less-expensive small-gun cases (e.g., found on Amazon or eBay) work fine, if you don't mind looking like you are carrying a weapon in the trunk of your car.

Unfortunately, Harumio is apparently now unable to sell Tesla-Korea adapters (CCS1 and CHAdeMO). We are unsure if this is a permanent condition (Has Tesla-Korea clamped down on Harumio?) or temporary.