Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is this screw for?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I vacuumed this up from the door cubby today on my Dec 18 MX. I assume it was sitting there loose and I never noticed it. Does anybody know where it belongs?

Attachments

• 4C733BE3-DE7D-413A-91D8-061792E35E41.jpeg
    4C733BE3-DE7D-413A-91D8-061792E35E41.jpeg
    450.2 KB · Views: 116
It’s not a screw but a plastic fastener. They are used in several applications . Usually in locations that are not in obvious sight. For example below a seat to tuck a flap of upholstery up to the bottom of the chair to hide wires or electronics to plain site. If service would be needed to that area the fasteners can be removed sometimes reused and if damaged replaced. The one you show looks unused so probably an extra part or was not engaged correctly and fell out somewhere. Fasteners are used in redundancy so usually no big deal.

Crawl down under the area with a flashlight and look up for a panel in the area with hole a little smaller than size of the fins. More like the diameter of the shaft. The fastener will go in that hole. It functions like thumbtack or harpoon, with the fin edges bending back on insertion and catching the side of a piece of interior plastic or metal, and holding one or two pieces of plastic shrouding to the door or other surface.

If you have never cleaned that area before, if may just be left over from the assembly process. We used to keep spares of those at our shop because we would occasionally dropped them down into some dark place when putting panels back after working on a door, heater, glovebox, or anything else that had a plastic shroud over it. Rather than spend all day fishing it out, you just put in a replacement fastener.