Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is this that broke and is this common on Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2017 MS with 30k miles. Never been abused.
For past few days I was hearing clunking noise from my suspension when driving over bumps on slow speed. Today I reversed my car from my driveway and heard as if something got detached at the suspension so I stopped and looked underneath. This is what I found on passenger side. What is this? (Sorry I’m not a pro on suspension).
is this common on these cars? I’m a mew Tesla owner.
I have warranty but is it safe for me to drive to Tesla dealer? The closest appointment I can get is a month away. What can I do to get fast appointment as now I cannot drive the car.
see pics attached.

Attachments

• C1987672-48C8-41E4-9AD3-85A48F6EF76C.jpeg
    C1987672-48C8-41E4-9AD3-85A48F6EF76C.jpeg
    301.2 KB · Views: 218
  • EF6595D8-08AE-4ECB-B592-6FAE4AC22BA2.jpeg
    EF6595D8-08AE-4ECB-B592-6FAE4AC22BA2.jpeg
    430.9 KB · Views: 202
  • BADE10CB-BD04-4686-8C29-A3CCC056FB77.jpeg
    BADE10CB-BD04-4686-8C29-A3CCC056FB77.jpeg
    524.6 KB · Views: 220
I have a 2017 MS with 30k miles. Never been abused

If you bought it used how do you know the prior owner didn't abuse it?

Is your warranty through Tesla? If so, just call roadside assistance and tell them that the suspension broke and the wheel is rubbing against the wheel well. They will tow it to the nearest service center.

It isn't really common, but it isn't entirely uncommon either. China forced Tesla to do a recall of that part there. NHTSA, and Canada's equivalent, have said it isn't a safety issue so a recall isn't necessary. (Though NHTSA has decided to re-open it and is investigating again to see if it should be a recall now that China has forced one.)

I have a 2017 MS with 30k miles. Never been abused.
For past few days I was hearing clunking noise from my suspension when driving over bumps on slow speed. Today I reversed my car from my driveway and heard as if something got detached at the suspension so I stopped and looked underneath. This is what I found on passenger side. What is this? (Sorry I’m not a pro on suspension).
is this common on these cars? I’m a mew Tesla owner.
I have warranty but is it safe for me to drive to Tesla dealer? The closest appointment I can get is a month away. What can I do to get fast appointment as now I cannot drive the car.
see pics attached.

Take a look at this thread; might help answer your question as to whether this is common or not. Feel free to post the same info in there as well, just to add your name to the club :)

Man, those California cars are so clean underneath.

@dark cloud What indication has you thinking this MS is in California? I think the location is west palm beach in Florida.

Still yeah very clean underneath, well it's only 3 years old w/ 30K miles so just getting 'broken in'

No pun intended, sorry about the control arm.

Thanks for the correction; I saw the word Palm, and ignorantly assumed it was near Palm Springs :)

• Funny
Reactions: aerodyne