Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is this thing?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone have any idea at all what this thing is?

Attachments

• File_001.png
    File_001.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 111
Oh jeez, I thought you had to pay extra for a tow package! Nice! Thanks everyone!

Yes. Very nice. I’ve used it to both tow a trailer and to hold a bicycle carrier (and a motorbike carrier for that matter too). If you want maximum range for long distance driving, don’t leave attached (even when nothings on it) since it’ll mess up the aerodynamics a bit.

Reactions: FalconFuel
Yes. Very nice. I’ve used it to both tow a trailer and to hold a bicycle carrier (and a motorbike carrier for that matter too). If you want maximum range for long distance driving, don’t leave attached (even when nothings on it) since it’ll mess up the aerodynamics a bit.

I’m averaging 280 wh/mi for the last 5000 miles including 500 miles towing. I never take the hitch off. I Doubt it makes any (measurable) difference.

• Informative
Reactions: Cosmacelf
What’s your secret? I’ve driven my 2017 X 10k miles since I bought it in May and I’m averaging 330 wh/mi. I’ve taken 7 long trips. I’m pretty easy on the throttle. I’d love to be getting your numbers.

Secret = have to get a newer X based on the Raven platform... Pre-Raven, unless you're traveling downhill both ways, you're probably going to have a hell of a time.

Even your 330 is amazing. I've averaged 393 since getting the X last July (little over 8k miles).

I’m averaging 280 wh/mi for the last 5000 miles including 500 miles towing. I never take the hitch off. I Doubt it makes any (measurable) difference.

If you're pulling a modestly heavy trailer (boat, motor and trailer or a camper), and you have a few hills to go up and down as I do, I am not understanding how it is physically possible to average 280 Wh/m. I have an Oct 2016 MX P100D, and I know the rear motor uses a little more energy than the rear motors in the newer Xs, but when I'm towing my BMT (maybe 1000-1200 lbs) up and down the hills to the boat ramp and then of course negotiating the boat ramp itself, I'm averaging 400+ Wh/m. I can't see any car employing any current technology using only half the power I'm using to tow a trailer. I don't understand how the physics line up to support that, but maybe I just don't have all the information. I towed my BMT 154 miles on I-64 and I-95 in Virginia (lots of hills), and it took 83% of my battery to do that - MUCH more than it would take on that same trip with just the car.

If there's a "secret," I'd sure like to know what it is. Thanks.

If you're pulling a modestly heavy trailer (boat, motor and trailer or a camper), and you have a few hills to go up and down as I do, I am not understanding how it is physically possible to average 280 Wh/m. I have an Oct 2016 MX P100D, and I know the rear motor uses a little more energy than the rear motors in the newer Xs, but when I'm towing my BMT (maybe 1000-1200 lbs) up and down the hills to the boat ramp and then of course negotiating the boat ramp itself, I'm averaging 400+ Wh/m. I can't see any car employing any current technology using only half the power I'm using to tow a trailer. I don't understand how the physics line up to support that, but maybe I just don't have all the information. I towed my BMT 154 miles on I-64 and I-95 in Virginia (lots of hills), and it took 83% of my battery to do that - MUCH more than it would take on that same trip with just the car.

If there's a "secret," I'd sure like to know what it is. Thanks.

I only pulled a trailer 500 miles out of the 5000 and it was ~2000lbs very low profile. I also pulled 4000 lbs maybe 20 miles or so. My guess is if I didn’t do any trailering I would have been around 270 wh/mi which I often see on long trips without the trailer.

Yes, when pulling 4000 lbs wh goes through the roof.

See my post 2 above yours... Secret = You need a newer X based on the Raven platform...

What I was missing was that @mswlogo only pulled a trailer 10% of the time. For some reason I was thinking "most" of the time. Poor reading skills. :( I glanced right over that when I read his post. I can get nearly the same Wh/m if I only pull a trailer only 10% of the time too. In fact, I think my car is showing 255-ish on it right now in the parking lot at work. But I do agree the Raven would be better.