Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is this USB plug, 2019 Tesla Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
TMC Brain Trust-

I just picked up this 2019 Tesla Model S, and one of the USB ports under the armrest has a pre-existing USB plugged into it, the wire for which disappears under the center console. What is this for? Perhaps it is something after-market put in by the previous owner?

Attachments

• 20211111_100717.jpg
    20211111_100717.jpg
    524.5 KB · Views: 1,484
It is the power for the cellular wireless phone charger in the console. It is Tesla factory installed that way.

OK thanks. I'll have to read the instruction manual on that one. I don't see where one could charge a phone wirelessly on the console.

So if one wants a USB drive for music and a USB drive for the traffic cam what do you do then? Not enough USB ports? Will a USB port multiplier work?

The wireless charger was standard on my 2020: 2012-2020 | Model S/X Wireless Phone Charger

I bought a 2 port flat USB cigarette plug adapter for power, such as https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Charge...la-742301047654&ref=&adgrpid=75766078309&th=1. If you work with the cord, it will plug into that new adapter for power. Make sure it has enough power capability to power the wireless phone charger. Then I have both Tesla USB ports for data, one for Sentry/dashcam, and the other for my music files. It is a waste of a data port to use it just to supply power to a device. I also now have an additional port to provide power if a passenger wants to power a phone or a device.

Last edited: