Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is this?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I found this in my fronk. I am not sure what this is. Does it have to do something with the hitch? image attached.

Attachments

• MVIMG_20180721_124029.jpg
    MVIMG_20180721_124029.jpg
    365.1 KB · Views: 203
I found this in my fronk. I am not sure what this is. Does it have to do something with the hitch? image attached.
Maybe the connector for the front trunk light? I changed all of my interior lights to brighter LEDs and this connector looks similar— do your trunk lights work? (This is just a guess). What part of the front trunk does the cord run into? Or is it loose?

Last edited:
I believe it is for the brake controller for a trailer.

I don't believe it is needed for a light trailer... The hutch already had what is needed for the brake lights etc... But for a large trailer that has brakes to would want a brake controller installed using that

Answering page. Confirming it’s to hook up to a brake controller (not supplied) for towing.

Look in the manual under towing. It’s the trailer brake controller harness. (I checked the manual, lol.) I never understand why it’s not in the case with the hitch and not loose in the car.

Be happy you got one though. Back when there was an accessory hitch, this wasn’t always included because you wouldn’t use it with an accessory, but the hitches were the same. So it become a part associated with the tow package and separate. No longer relavent since it’s all in one, but many cars still accidentally have the harness left out unfortunately.

Reactions: MXWing
The tow package was supposed to be included on mine, but wasn't there on delivery so they installed it later. I didn't get the brake controller harness when they installed it and I didn't even know it was supposed to come with it. I'll need to head out to the SC one of these days to see if they will give one to me.

It is indeed the brake controller harness but the brake controller is a separate unit and comes with its own harness. You have to map and pair the two harnesses according to their specifications. I use a tekonsha P3. There is also some already made pigtail cables but I don't if Tesla's plus is compatible to an existing one. I soldered bothe cables together and it works perfectly.

https://amazon.com/Tekonsha-90195-Electronic-Brake-Control/dp/B000P17NXQ

http://adelman.com/model-x-brake-controller.pdf

It is the cable for the brake controller as others have pointed out. It can also be used if you need constant 12V battery power in the cabin, the circuit has a 20amp fuse. Basically it plugs into a mating connector located near (above) the OBD port.